HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The Postal Service's Surp...

Thu Mar 26, 2020, 07:10 AM

The Postal Service's Surprising Role in Surviving Doomsday

Garrett M. Graff
03.25.20 10:00 AM
Security
The Postal Service's Surprising Role in Surviving Doomsday
The little-known Postal Plan, which dates back to the Clinton era, charges mail carriers with delivering critical supplies—like vaccines—as a last resort.

Congress raised concerns this week that the ongoing Covid-19 crisis—and the resulting “critical fall-off in mail” volumes across the sheltering-in-place country—might bankrupt the United States Postal Service in a matter of weeks. “A halt in Postal Service operations could have grave consequences across the country,” two senior members of the House warned on Monday, saying it could be out of money by June.

While Congress said it was most concerned about the Postal Service’s critical role in delivering medicine across the country during the unfolding pandemic—it handled about a billion shipments of prescription drugs last year—the nation’s mail carriers potentially have an even more critical role to play in health emergencies.

If and when a mass vaccine finally arrives for Covid-19, Americans may be surprised to learn precisely who might knock at their door to distribute the life-saving aid: A mask-clad, gloved postal carrier, flanked by a deputy sheriff or National Guard soldier.

snip//

Instead, the modern era’s postal Doomsday mission has been geared toward biological threats. Under a little-known Obama administration plan, “Executive Order 13527: Medical Countermeasures Following a Biological Attack,” it would fall to the Postal Service to be the first-line responders to a widespread biological terror incident—think an anthrax attack, where the post office shows up at your door with Cipro. Those plans could potentially be dusted off to help respond to disease epidemic or pandemic.

more...

https://www.wired.com/story/us-postal-plan-coronavirus-vaccine-doomsday/amp?fbclid=IwAR2Xf_84WgBVkQZrLvEoHm-eWJ4mTNMwcTYoUoQxwO-eB7Dyfe4X5Npmk4Y

7 replies, 769 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply The Postal Service's Surprising Role in Surviving Doomsday (Original post)
babylonsister Mar 26 OP
mdelaguna Mar 26 #1
underpants Mar 26 #2
PCIntern Mar 26 #3
underpants Mar 26 #4
empedocles Mar 26 #5
redstatebluegirl Mar 26 #6
needledriver Mar 26 #7

Response to babylonsister (Original post)

Thu Mar 26, 2020, 07:27 AM

1. K&r

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Mar 26, 2020, 07:35 AM

2. Fascinating. Actual planning and performance testing.

What a novel idea.

Reply to this post

Response to underpants (Reply #2)

Thu Mar 26, 2020, 07:37 AM

3. Yeah but

don’t tell that orangina bottle in the WH, he will cancel it

Reply to this post

Response to PCIntern (Reply #3)

Thu Mar 26, 2020, 07:45 AM

4. That's exactly what I thought too

We have a vaccine.
Then give it to me and my children.
Sir, ok but we have a system for mass dispersion
Really? I was just going to tell you my genius idea.
Well sir, it was created....it was created by you.
It was? Then it must be the best.
Can we go ahead with your plan?
Yeah sure. Let me tweet about how smart I am.

Reply to this post

Response to underpants (Reply #2)

Thu Mar 26, 2020, 08:01 AM

5. System in place, boots on the ground already.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 26, 2020, 08:07 AM

6. I have been leaving clorox wipes in a small ziplock bag in our mailbox for our

mail carrier off and on the past couple of weeks. She told me they were out of purell at her post office. I think her job is really dangerous right now and very important.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 26, 2020, 09:18 AM

7. This must be part of those terrible,

obsolete plans that poor Donald inherited.

How can he be expected to protect the American people with such ideas like this?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread