HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Meet the woman who filmed...

Thu Jun 11, 2020, 03:55 AM

Meet the woman who filmed her mom's reaction to law school acceptance to show 'black joy'

Meet the woman who filmed her mom's reaction to law school acceptance to show 'black joy'
Melinda Oliver said her journey to law school "was not the smoothest," but that her mom, Linda, had been with her "every step of the way."
NBC News
June 10, 2020, 4:58 PM EDT
By Gwen Aviles

Article: https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop-culture-news/meet-woman-who-filmed-her-mom-s-reaction-law-school-n1229361

(snip)
Melinda Oliver had been refreshing her email routinely for the past few days, waiting on a notification that might change her life.

When she didn't receive an email by 4 p.m. Tuesday afternoon, however, she decided to take her dog for a walk. She figured the business day was nearly over and that she probably wouldn't be hearing from DePaul University College of Law that day.

She was proven wrong when 15 minutes later the message finally arrived. She braced herself as she opened the email, but she hadn't needed to. Oliver had not only been accepted to the program, but she had been awarded an annual $40,000 scholarship in recognition of her "achievements, personal qualities and potential to contribute to the DePaul community."

"I called my sister, huffing and puffing and immediately she asked me, 'what's wrong?'" Oliver said. "I told her nothing was wrong, but that I'd been accepted to law school with a scholarship and I was overwhelmed."

Twitter post with video:

If the video won't play, click on the frame and go directly to her Twitter page to play it there.

Text:
Mel @ladyfromdalou
If you need to see a little black joy, please watch my moms reaction when I told her I got into law school with a $40,000 annual scholarship

Nothing better than watching the joy of a mother seeing her child succeed in life. Congratulations to Melinda and her mom!

KY

5 replies, 1368 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Meet the woman who filmed her mom's reaction to law school acceptance to show 'black joy' (Original post)
KY_EnviroGuy Jun 11 OP
sprinkleeninow Jun 11 #1
GeoWilliam750 Jun 11 #2
Behind the Aegis Jun 11 #3
KY_EnviroGuy Jun 11 #4
monmouth4 Jun 11 #5

Response to KY_EnviroGuy (Original post)

Thu Jun 11, 2020, 04:03 AM

1. This lovely one greatly surpassed any achievement I was capable of.

Determination, intelligence..
She "set her face like flint" [Isaiah] and achieved a stellar reward.

Brava!!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Jun 11, 2020, 04:37 AM

2. Absolutely FABULOUS!!!!!!

That is so nice to watch!

Reply to this post

Thu Jun 11, 2020, 05:07 AM

3. That was wonderful!

It was nice to see other lawyers offering to help her out with other things (rent and such), of course, a MAGAt had to make an appearance.

Reply to this post

Response to Behind the Aegis (Reply #3)

Thu Jun 11, 2020, 05:25 AM

4. Offers to help her were heartwarming and the MAGAT got promptly put in her place.

Truth.....

Jay Kelley @Doctor_Hue

The most beautiful feeling in the world is knowing your child will have more opportunities than you did.

Reply to this post

Thu Jun 11, 2020, 06:00 AM

5. This joy will carry me through the day. How wonderful. n/t

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread