HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Military data reveals dan...

Sun Jun 14, 2020, 01:59 PM

Military data reveals dangerous reality for black service members and veterans

Washington(CNN)Top US military officials are seeking to reassure the nation's roughly two million active duty and reserve personnel that they are committed to addressing issues of racial inequality across the branches following George Floyd's death and protests across the country.

But the challenges they face are huge.

A CNN review of data provided by the Pentagon and Department of Veterans Affairs reveals the stark reality that black service members are less likely to become officers and, as a result, are more likely to be seriously injured serving their country than their white colleagues.

Those issues are very much intertwined, according to David Shulkin, who previously served as President Donald Trump's Veterans Affairs Secretary.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/06/13/politics/military-diversity-data/index.html

1 replies, 506 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Military data reveals dangerous reality for black service members and veterans (Original post)
JonLP24 Jun 2020 OP
qazplm135 Jun 2020 #1

Response to JonLP24 (Original post)

Sun Jun 14, 2020, 02:07 PM

1. I was the first person in my family

to graduate college, much less go on to become an Officer. So it takes a lot to get there, and even I started as an Enlisted man because I couldn't afford to finish college otherwise.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread