HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » last night I watched docu...

Sat Jun 20, 2020, 03:21 PM

last night I watched documentaries on Thurgood Marshall and Emmit Till

as well as the NAACP attempt to stop theater release of Birth of a Nation.

God, we are a country built on racism and white entitlement. So glad Amazon highlighted a bunch of these movies on Prime for Juneteenth and within context of BLM protests.

7 replies, 322 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply last night I watched documentaries on Thurgood Marshall and Emmit Till (Original post)
SiliconValley_Dem Jun 20 OP
empedocles Jun 20 #1
The Velveteen Ocelot Jun 20 #2
SiliconValley_Dem Jun 20 #3
moondust Jun 20 #4
The Velveteen Ocelot Jun 20 #5
Dream Girl Jun 20 #6
kimbutgar Jun 20 #7

Response to SiliconValley_Dem (Original post)

Sat Jun 20, 2020, 03:26 PM

1. PBS also running the docs. Saw Thurgood doc on PBS.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Jun 20, 2020, 03:27 PM

2. This country got rich from the unpaid labor of slaves

and the genocide of Native Americans whose land was stolen. An enormous amount of wealth was generated by plantation slaves picking cotton which was shipped to the textile mills in the northeast, and those plantations were situated on stolen land. The prosperous farms of the midwest and the plains were (and are) on stolen land. The richest country in the world is rich only because the labor and lands of others were taken from them.
We have to face up to that.

Reply to this post

Response to The Velveteen Ocelot (Reply #2)

Sat Jun 20, 2020, 03:31 PM

3. yes. to me, the vile attitudes about people if color are still there in many

it is just that through the fight and bravery of Thurgood Marshall, MLK, and many civil rights activists that the racism isn't so openly carried out by institutions.

Donald Trump, Steve Bannon, Stephen Miller and other outright racists are trying to Make America Racist Again--and this is just one area we need to focus on in defeating and obliterating this Orange Stain on America

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 20, 2020, 03:52 PM

4. How much of those "riches"

was converted into legal tender, handed down through generations of heirs, and continues to make its owners wealthy buying and selling stocks in Walmart, Amazon, Apple, etc.?

Reply to this post

Response to moondust (Reply #4)

Sat Jun 20, 2020, 03:56 PM

5. Probably most of it, although a lot would have been lost during the Depression.

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 20, 2020, 04:17 PM

6. It galls me that generations of Europeans have migrated here and this has become "their" country

This country was built on the backs of our ancestors...400 years. It makes me so angry. Someone like Trump and his ilk who is only second generationS views themselves as real Americans..They get you enjoy the spoils of our labor and we suffer generation after generation

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 20, 2020, 04:52 PM

7. I had a great uncle that was a Black mortician In San Francisco In the early 20th century

He was at the time the only minority funeral director that did Black, Chinese and Mexican funerals during this time before mortician schools opened up to other minorities.

Anyway, he was so well known and a founding member NAACP in SF that when he protested And proposed a boycott of them showing Birth of a nation in SF the movie owners backed down. In the 70ís a book was published with that tidbit. I was able to get a copy which I still have.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread