HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Stipulating that the Fede...

Mon Jul 6, 2020, 08:53 PM

Stipulating that the Federal Elections Commission is useless....

I'm surprised there hasn't been a more vigorous legal attempt to interdict Trump's practice of treating most if not all his campaign stops as official government business, characterizing them as tours, listening sessions, or whatever. He's squeezing tens of millions of dollars out of taxpayers to cover his coarse, negative, smear-filled vote hunting. So is Pence.

I doubt it will do them any good at this point. And it isn't as if previous presidents haven't done this occasionally. But it's still the case this is the first truly 24/7, permanent-campaign administration. T's refusal to truly step away from his business interests was an immediate issue but these continuing "I'm just here to pay my respects" or "welcome to our celebration of American Independence" festivities now get no more than shrugs. Of course, he's been so bad on so many far more critical level, so who's got time to worry about such relatively petty transgressions? Nevertheless, he's set a low bar and perhaps a dangerous precedent for unscrupulous successors.

5 replies, 609 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Stipulating that the Federal Elections Commission is useless.... (Original post)
rlegro Jul 2020 OP
Frustratedlady Jul 2020 #1
StarfishSaver Jul 2020 #4
Golden Raisin Jul 2020 #2
Hoyt Jul 2020 #3
StarfishSaver Jul 2020 #5

Response to rlegro (Original post)

Mon Jul 6, 2020, 08:58 PM

1. I seem to remember that Obama's campaign paid for a percentage of the trip, depending on the trip...

For instance, if he visited a site for governmental reasons but campaigned while in the area, the Democratic party paid a percentage of the costs for transportation and on-ground charges. The Repukes watched that closely and Obama made sure they had the documents to prove they'd paid.

I'm sure I didn't dream it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Frustratedlady (Reply #1)

Tue Jul 7, 2020, 10:23 AM

4. Yes. You remember correctly

The Obama team was very careful to do everything by the book. For that matter, so were the Bush and Clinton people.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 6, 2020, 08:59 PM

2. Current Chairman (James E. Trainor III) is a Trump appointee.

Hmmm!

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 6, 2020, 09:00 PM

3. I get it, but incumbents have always been able to use their office to

some degree in elections.

Reply to this post

Response to Hoyt (Reply #3)

Tue Jul 7, 2020, 10:24 AM

5. Of course. It's impossible to completely separate the president from the candidate

But there are rules and previous presidents always went out of their way to follow them.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread