HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Dear America, You are wak...

Sat Aug 22, 2020, 11:10 AM

Dear America, You are waking up as Germany once did ...

This was a sticky at the top of the page just now and I thought everyone should see it. I'm going to paste it into my sig line.

15 replies, 2272 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 15 replies Author Time Post
Reply Dear America, You are waking up as Germany once did ... (Original post)
hedda_foil Aug 22 OP
SergeStorms Aug 22 #1
Laelth Aug 22 #2
Warpy Aug 22 #13
John Drake Aug 22 #3
AmyStrange Aug 22 #4
John Drake Aug 22 #5
RVN VET71 Aug 22 #6
AmyStrange Aug 22 #7
CaliforniaPeggy Aug 22 #8
KS Toronado Aug 22 #9
Martin Eden Aug 22 #10
kairos12 Aug 22 #11
GeorgeGist Aug 22 #12
hedda_foil Aug 22 #14
appalachiablue Aug 23 #15

Response to hedda_foil (Original post)

Sat Aug 22, 2020, 11:15 AM

1. It's so sad...

that something like that could be said about the United States of America. The blame lies totally on republicans' shoulders.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to SergeStorms (Reply #1)

Sat Aug 22, 2020, 11:26 AM

2. +1 n/t

-Laelth

Reply to this post

Response to SergeStorms (Reply #1)

Sat Aug 22, 2020, 03:34 PM

13. It was sad in Germany and every other place the lunatics took over

and it's not over yet.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 22, 2020, 11:28 AM

3. As I recall my history, Werner

Germany didn't "wake up" until the allies, led by the United States, fire-bombed Dresden and leveled Berlin.

I wonder if he thinks someone will have to do that here?

Reply to this post

Response to John Drake (Reply #3)

Sat Aug 22, 2020, 11:57 AM

4. Welcome to the DU!

-

The difference is that we have freedom of speech, and we can vote.

Germans really didn't at the time.
========

Reply to this post

Response to AmyStrange (Reply #4)

Sat Aug 22, 2020, 12:58 PM

5. The Germans voted Adolph Hitler into office.

-30-

Reply to this post

Response to John Drake (Reply #5)

Sat Aug 22, 2020, 01:50 PM

6. Yes they did

But, like most things in Germany trailing the debacle of WWI and the Treaty of Versailes, it was complicated. Still, it appears that many, if not all, German "pundits" felt there was no way the little Austrian putz would be able to rise to power and dismantle the German constitution or deprive the German people of their long cherished right to free speech. So I think America is in at least a different position to combat the authoritarianism of the Liar in Chief. Americans are by no means guaranteed a defeat of that awful man and his degenerate supporters however, so GOTV and vote blue.

Reply to this post

Response to John Drake (Reply #5)

Sat Aug 22, 2020, 01:50 PM

7. He wasn't exactly voted into power by the people...

-

The absence of an effective government prompted two influential politicians, Franz von Papen and Alfred Hugenberg, along with several other industrialists and businessmen, to write a letter to Hindenburg. The signers urged Hindenburg to appoint Hitler as leader of a government "independent from parliamentary parties", which could turn into a movement that would "enrapture millions of people".

Hindenburg reluctantly agreed to appoint Hitler as chancellor after two further parliamentary elections—in July and November 1932—had not resulted in the formation of a majority government.

[snip]

To achieve full political control despite not having an absolute majority in parliament, Hitler's government brought the Ermächtigungsgesetz (Enabling Act) to a vote in the newly elected Reichstag. The Act—officially titled the Gesetz zur Behebung der Not von Volk und Reich (Law to Remedy the Distress of People and Reich)—gave Hitler's cabinet the power to enact laws without the consent of the Reichstag for four years. These laws could (with certain exceptions) deviate from the constitution. Since it would affect the constitution, the Enabling Act required a two-thirds majority to pass. Leaving nothing to chance, the Nazis used the provisions of the Reichstag Fire Decree to arrest all 81 Communist deputies (in spite of their virulent campaign against the party, the Nazis had allowed the KPD to contest the election) and prevent several Social Democrats from attending.

On 23 March 1933, the Reichstag assembled at the Kroll Opera House under turbulent circumstances. Ranks of SA men served as guards inside the building, while large groups outside opposing the proposed legislation shouted slogans and threats towards the arriving members of parliament. The position of the Centre Party, the third largest party in the Reichstag, was decisive. After Hitler verbally promised party leader Ludwig Kaas that Hindenburg would retain his power of veto, Kaas announced the Centre Party would support the Enabling Act.

The Act passed by a vote of 441–84, with all parties except the Social Democrats voting in favour. The Enabling Act, along with the Reichstag Fire Decree, transformed Hitler's government into a de facto legal dictatorship.

=============

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 22, 2020, 01:51 PM

8. A big fat K&R!

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 22, 2020, 01:55 PM

9. The first 1/3 are definitely republiCONs

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 22, 2020, 01:56 PM

10. I fear for the life of Joe Biden and the life of Kamala Harris

Among the millions of heavily armed rightwing nutjobs, more than a few are capable of taking their sick fantasies to the next level.

When their cult hero is defeated in November and forced from office, their fear and rage will find outlets.

The Secret Service will have their work cut out for them protecting Joe, who loves to get up close and personal with the people.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 22, 2020, 02:13 PM

11. K&R. Exactly right.

In response.

I say stay ready, so you don't have to get ready.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 22, 2020, 03:12 PM

12. No winners.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 22, 2020, 06:42 PM

14. kick

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 23, 2020, 01:36 AM

15. In 1933 Germany got Hitler and we got FDR. Maybe we

can stop or neutralize the fascist freight train in time to solidfy institutions & democracy in America. My greatest hope.

K/R

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread