HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Russia GDP is $1.67 trill...

Thu Aug 27, 2020, 05:07 PM

Russia GDP is $1.67 trillion, California $3.3 trillion, Texas $1.87

Why does Putin receive any credible consideration as a threat?
He is merely a pest, a flea and if Trump would enforce the embargos on his county and seize his US assets, he wouldn’t be able to afford his WiFi payment. Trump is bought and paid for by the commander of a third world country.

16 replies, 549 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Under The Radar (Original post)

Thu Aug 27, 2020, 05:15 PM

1. Others have characterized Russia as a gas station with nuclear weapons.

Or, as I prefer, a third world gas station with nuclear weapons.

I agree that first world countries embarrass themselves by treating Russia as a serious international player. But nations need to cooperate to put Putin back in his box. He remains dangerous because his only purpose is to destroy other democracies to deter his own citizens from an uprising.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Mike 03 (Reply #1)

Thu Aug 27, 2020, 08:20 PM

8. I think it was Rachel

who called them a "mobbed up oil cartel" or something like that. They have 1 aircraft carrier that keeps breaking down. They really should back off.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 27, 2020, 05:19 PM

2. Nukes

They still have LOTS of functional warheads. As of last year, the intelligence estimate was nearly 4,500.
Without that, they're a pipsqueak.
Canada has a higher GDP, too.
And, their per capita GDP is (IIRC) around 70th.
Japan is around 2.8x bigger, with close to the same population and China is around 4.5x although much more populated.
Without those nukes, Russia would get around the same attention on the world stage as Italy or Argentina.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 27, 2020, 05:20 PM

3. Too bad California doesn't hold trump's debt. They too would get attention.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 27, 2020, 05:44 PM

4. Nukes

Lots and lots of nukes.

Reply to this post

Response to awesomerwb1 (Reply #4)

Thu Aug 27, 2020, 05:59 PM

5. But even he isn't stupid enough to use them. But Trump

is.

Reply to this post

Response to awesomerwb1 (Reply #4)

Thu Aug 27, 2020, 08:25 PM

9. Ding ding! Yes, thank you. It's like if Mayberry had the bomb. Shit gets real.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 27, 2020, 06:08 PM

6. Because Putin is an organized crime boss as much as he is a head of government.

And Trump is a lower-level mobster under his control.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 27, 2020, 06:26 PM

7. Rat face Putin was getting his deserved shunning until Trump and his Republicans bent knee to him

Putin steals tens of billions from the Russian people, and that money gets laundered by somebody.

Reply to this post

Response to gulliver (Reply #7)

Thu Aug 27, 2020, 09:16 PM

14. The Russian economy was in the tank when Obama left office

the additional sanctions would have completely destroyed their economy & led to Putin getting ousted. Who knows what would have come out of the ashes, but something like The Marshall Plan updated for the 21st century could have allowed them to rebuild & retool for the 21st century while moving them more towards a democracy.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 27, 2020, 08:59 PM

10. As everyone else said, Nukes. But there is more.

Major energy exporter to Europe and China (and soon other Asian nations)....and growing. If they turn off the spigot, they are going to be on their knees.

Some tech industry and heavy machinery or in support of mining, but most of that is used for military...which leads me to....

A niche military industry that is designed for one primary role. Defense. Yes they have offensive capabilities, and some of that sells...however its more for cross border issues, but nowhere near their defense tech. For example, the S-400 system is highly regarded...and about to be eclipsed by the S-500 system.

The Space Industry has been in decline since the fall of the Soviet Union. But it has made some small strides recently, it appears to be focused more on Russia's need vs. contracting out to other nations. Which makes sense, China, India and a few others are already developing their space industry and don't need to rely so much on Russia, ESA and NASA.

But here is the where the anvil drops on the coyote. Russia's population is less than half of the USA. And only recently started slowly growing after a number of years of shrinking. You can't have a huge economy with numbers like that....add insult to injury, only 70% of that lives in industrialized areas...whereas the rest are deer herders.

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/population-by-country/

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 27, 2020, 09:01 PM

11. A gas station masquerading as a country

"Look, Russia is a gas station masquerading as a country. It's kleptocracy. It's corruption. It's a nation that's really only dependent upon oil and gas for their economy, and so economic sanctions are important." - John McCain

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 27, 2020, 09:04 PM

12. The Real Threat is Racists in the US who assist Putin and would rather align

with white non Americans than with non white Americans .

Putin would not have the power if he didn't have Americans helping him and without the white supremacy.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 27, 2020, 09:08 PM

13. You've just explained why Putin does what he does

He has to weaken the West (the U.S. and Europe) through manipulation of political movements and its leaders because he doesn't have any real power himself.

I don't know if you're a fan of Game of Thrones, but he's Little Finger, a powerless, little man with huge ambitions whose only real weapon is manipulating people around him.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 27, 2020, 09:22 PM

15. Trump could actually turn the tables on Putin if he wasn't such a coward.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 27, 2020, 09:27 PM

16. Exactly. Thank you for saying this!

I remember the first time I caught a glimpse of the enormity of the US economy was when I attended an investment seminar, and the speaker mentioned that the German economy was equivalent to about that of Illinois.

I don't think Trump has any idea of our standing in the world (before him). To him, like so many, fame equals power. Putin is famous, so he projects power onto him. But also, whatever Putin has over him has also warped his perspective and sense of proportion.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread