HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Trump supporters coming f...

Sun Aug 30, 2020, 05:54 PM

Trump supporters coming from OUTSIDE PORTLAND. There are so few here. Just like Minneapolis.

Just saying. They have to bring them in from outside. Portland is overwhelmingly progressive. Is the media making that clear, that Trump supporters are imported? Does the media factor that into their coverage?

I had to take a mental health break and have just tuned in for the first time in several days. I just listened to my mayor's presser. He has been doing a very good job for three months in an extremely difficult situation.

10 replies, 953 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Trump supporters coming from OUTSIDE PORTLAND. There are so few here. Just like Minneapolis. (Original post)
Amaryllis Aug 2020 OP
LeftInTX Aug 2020 #1
oregonjen Aug 2020 #3
Grasswire2 Aug 2020 #6
oregonjen Aug 2020 #8
Chili Aug 2020 #2
roamer65 Aug 2020 #4
Chili Aug 2020 #5
LeftInTX Aug 2020 #7
MizLibby Aug 2020 #9
stillcool Aug 2020 #10

Response to Amaryllis (Original post)

Sun Aug 30, 2020, 05:56 PM

1. This has been going on in Portland for years.

I believe they are from the suburbs

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to LeftInTX (Reply #1)

Sun Aug 30, 2020, 06:15 PM

3. I live in the suburbs of the metro area. They are not from the suburbs.

Reply to this post

Response to oregonjen (Reply #3)

Sun Aug 30, 2020, 06:29 PM

6. They gathered to form the "parade" at Clackamas Town Center yesterday.

We are told they are from Clackamas County.

Of course, many may be from farther away.

About twenty of them were walking down the middle of my street in inner suburb yesterday. I didn't realize what they were, then, and chided them for not wearing masks. This is what they said: "I don't need a mask. If you need one, stay home." Well, I WAS home.

Reply to this post

Response to Grasswire2 (Reply #6)

Sun Aug 30, 2020, 06:33 PM

8. I really believe they're from out of town. Perhaps not, though.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 30, 2020, 06:13 PM

2. Idaho is a right wing cesspool, isn't it?

The closer to Idaho any Oregon and Washington towns/cities are, the more members there are of white hate groups? They don't have far to drive. So sorry for that - Portland and Seattle are two of the cities on my bucket list - beautiful & exciting places to visit during normal times, and I'm including how much COVID is affecting travel.

Reply to this post

Response to Chili (Reply #2)

Sun Aug 30, 2020, 06:18 PM

4. Idaho is Ruby Ridge territory.

Reply to this post

Response to roamer65 (Reply #4)

Sun Aug 30, 2020, 06:23 PM

5. Ah yes

Gotcha.

Reply to this post

Response to Chili (Reply #2)

Sun Aug 30, 2020, 06:31 PM

7. Eastern Oregon is also RW...

I don't really know where Eastern Oregon starts, but I know it is right wing.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 30, 2020, 06:35 PM

9. When Mr Libby and I are at a 4 way stop...

And nobody wants to go first, we agree they all must be from Portland, too Damn nice! So we go.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 30, 2020, 06:54 PM

10. according to the SPLC...

Oregon has prominent place on Southern Poverty Law Center's new list of U.S. hate groups
Updated May 17, 2019; Posted Feb 21, 2018

The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) declared today that the white-supremacy movement continues to expand in the U.S. -- as does violence by white-nationalist groups.

The civil-rights and legal-advocacy nonprofit said in its just-published "Year in Hate" report that the U.S. had 954 active hate groups in 2017, a 4-percent increase from the year before. The sheer number of such organizations in the country, ranging from "alt-right" to black nationalist, is notable. But the SPLC says its list "understates the true level of hate in America, because a growing number of extremists, particularly those who identify with the alt-right, operate mainly online and may not be formally affiliated with a hate group."

Oregon, with its population of just over 4 million, appears to have a disproportionate number of hate-based organizations within its borders.
(The U.S. overall has nearly 325 million people.) Below are the SPLC-listed hate groups that are based in or have chapters in Oregon or southwestern Washington. Some of the organizations on the list dispute the center’s definition of them.

“Generally,” writes the SPLC, antigovernment groups “define themselves as opposed to the ‘New World Order,’ engage in groundless conspiracy theorizing or advocate or adhere to extreme antigovernment doctrines.” The center makes clear that their inclusion in its hate-group report “does not imply that the groups themselves advocate or engage in violence or other criminal activities, or are racist.” Here are the ones in Oregon, according to the SPLC:

III%ers Security Force

III% United Patriots

American Patriot Party

American Patriots III%

Central Oregon Constitutional Guard

Embassy of Heaven

Freedom Bound International

Freedom from Government

Heirs of Patrick Henry

John Birch Society

McCutcheons Ink.

News With Views