HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Trump had traps set for B...

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 01:06 AM

Trump had traps set for Biden, but didn't have the discipline to spring them

Last edited Thu Oct 1, 2020, 11:44 AM - Edit history (1)

https://news.yahoo.com/trumpworld-worried-amid-debate-performance-220600606.html
Trumpworld 'worried' amid debate performance fallout
NBC News
Shannon Pettypiece and Leigh Ann Caldwell and Carol E. Lee and Monica Alba and Hallie Jackson
,NBC News•September 30, 2020

-snip-

"But Trump failed to deliver many of his planned remarks — and when he did, they were often delivered out of context and with no explanation, two people familiar with debate preparations said.

When he attacked Biden for backing the 1994 crime bill, he was then supposed to point to Alice Johnson in the audience and demand that Biden apologize to Johnson, 65, a grandmother who spent more than two decades in prison on a nonviolent drug charge before Trump commuted her sentence and then pardoned her. Instead, Trump pivoted to his polling numbers among African American voters.

During the Supreme Court section of the debate, the president was supposed to go after Biden as "the godfather of turning Supreme Court confirmation hearings into sideshows," dating to Biden's work on the Senate confirmation hearings for Robert Bork in 1987 and Clarence Thomas in 1991, when he was chairman of the Judiciary Committee. Instead, Trump steered the conversation toward health care...."
-snip-
--------------
The first one was a particularly egregious attempt to try to embarrass Joe -- since they remembered how Kamala Harris used the "little girl" phrase at the first Democratic Debate last year. But Trump was thrown off by his own aggressiveness and failed to spring the trap. (The actual story is more complex btw https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_Marie_Johnson -- I don't think Joe has anything to apologize for)

Expect more traps like this from Trump in the next debate-- that's the kind of trick Trump likes, but fortunately he is incompetent even at games like these.

16 replies, 1731 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to andym (Original post)

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 01:17 AM

1. Seems to me someone wants to say

it was not my fault Trump looked like a fool.

Why publish this at yahoo.com?

A backdoor way to dim Biden's debate win?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to UCmeNdc (Reply #1)

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 01:20 AM

2. Clearly some of Trump's people revealed these secrets to absolve themselves (CYA)

doesn't diminish Joe in the least btw, just diminishes Trump.

Reply to this post

Response to andym (Reply #2)

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 01:39 AM

3. Well, it might be a stretch on my part

But, I imagined that a few Trump supporters likely have Yahoo reader as a news source because they have Yahoo accounts. (or the writers of the news release hope other news outlets pick up on the story from yahoo news)

The Trump supporters are feeling lowly and bad because Trump acted like he did not have a plan and was just a crazy loose cannon. They cannot watch anymore of Trump's failures. So here comes the propaganda release, hang in there loyal Trumpism believer, we had a plan but we just did not execute it well. Next debate we will get them. Don't give up now. Trump isn't as bad as he appeared to be in this debate, we will be okay, loyal believer, tune in next debate.
All hope is not lost.

I might be reading too much into this news release.

Reply to this post

Response to UCmeNdc (Reply #3)

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 01:48 AM

6. Well if they did, then they just read a syndicated story from NBC

which Yahoo often has. Actually Yahoo has a mix of stories from many sources-- some even from the Huffington Post which is also owned by Verizon-- those stories must infuriate Trumpers often.

I see your point, but I personally think the article overall throws more shade on Trump and makes his supporters feel more hopeless that Trump lost such a "golden" opportunity (I think Joe would have batted away that attack easily, so it wasn't such a great attack as the GOP operatives thought), than given them hope that Trump might do better.

Reply to this post

Response to andym (Reply #6)

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 02:05 AM

8. Yes you are right

I am giving too much credit to Trump's handlers. It is most likely a CYA, story.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 01:40 AM

4. If he was jacked up on something (those performance enhancing drugs?)

his ability to concentrate and thread those attacks likely was hampered. I think the man definitely is using something, uppers and downers, whatever. So, instead he went into his standard rant and rave mode, barely making any sense, grievances all the way.

There is something deeply wrong with Donald Trump. Which is terrifying in and of itself. And now the man is cornered because losing the election makes him vulnerable to legal and financial liabilities.

I'm convinced Biden and Harris are going to win this thing but we're facing a very rough period until the inauguration.

We all need to buckle up.

Reply to this post

Response to peggysue2 (Reply #4)

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 02:10 AM

10. One of the things I'm curious about

Is when the music is over for Donnie and Co., and they are cast back into the land of mere mortals, is finding out what kind of drugs they’re on.

I expect one day we will find out. The post Trump tell all books and documentaries will be epic.

Does Trump really crush Aderral and snort rails?

Is Don Jr. on coke?

What’s his girlfriend on?

Is Melanie on anything?

I find it to be one of the fascinating little subplots to the whole saga.

Reply to this post

Response to BannonsLiver (Reply #10)

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 12:40 PM

16. Yeah, I've believed Trump was using from the start

Back in 2016 those manic performances at his rallies, then the sluggish performances during one-on-one interviews. We've seen that continue throughout the last 4 years. If this is long-term use which has been reported, those continuous up and downs seriously affect a person's ability to think clearly and cause the sort of paranoia that Trump exhibits. Long-term drug abuse can make you psychotic.

As for the rest of the crew? Who knows. The Lincoln Project has been nailing Donnie Jr for cocaine use, particularly after his charges that Hunter Biden is a crackhead. LP went there in several ads.

I think the entire family is seriously dysfunctional on many levels. I took note of the look on Trump's face after the debate. He watched Jill Biden embrace Joe. It was a sweet, genuine moment and Trump looked bewildered (even a little angry) as if he simply didn't understand that sort of human interaction.

There is definitely something wrong with the man, an empty, warped vessel.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 01:42 AM

5. Obviously looking to blame his handlers for his own incompentence, he must be screaming at them, lol

Reply to this post

Response to Baclava (Reply #5)

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 01:50 AM

7. lol-- sounds just like something trump would do

blame others for his own mistakes.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 02:08 AM

9. tRump's dementia is too advanced to keep that much info together.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 04:03 AM

11. He was too amped up on drugs

To have discipline.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 04:03 AM

12. "Trump commuted her sentence and then pardoned her."

he only did this to use her like a throw away tool, got to wonder how much she is being paid to attend?

well, looks like the tax payer are paying this tRumpster pawn "Alice Marie Johnson takes Air Force One to attend presidential debate"

non violent drug related sentences should all be commuted imho but I cannot stand anyone who backs a monster like tRump, sold her soul to the devil.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 08:35 AM

13. What a terrible chess player.

And he is the leader of our country.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 08:59 AM

14. Grandstanding via an audience member should be taboo

Yet another reason why there should be no audience.

Reply to this post

Response to obamanut2012 (Reply #14)

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 11:44 AM

15. Agree. Good suggestion. NT.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread