HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » "Well wishes"

Sat Oct 3, 2020, 06:01 PM

"Well wishes"

I get it, I really do. You wish someone well, so you must be sending them "well wishes."

Nope. "Well" is an adverb; you use that to describe an action--you are wishing the person (to be) well. The wishes you send can't be well--wishes, afaik, aren't susceptible to illness or wellness.

What you're sending is *good* wishes. Good is an adjective, which is used to describe things. The wishes you are sending are good ones. They can't be well because wishes don't get sick.

Don't say "Thanks for all the well wishes." You will sound like a moron. Say "Thanks for all the good wishes."

/rant off

Just heard the first "well wishes" on CNN and thought I'd speak up. It won't do any good, of course.

4 replies, 486 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply "Well wishes" (Original post)
cyclonefence Oct 2020 OP
AnnaLee Oct 2020 #1
cyclonefence Oct 2020 #3
ret5hd Oct 2020 #2
cyclonefence Oct 2020 #4

Response to cyclonefence (Original post)

Sat Oct 3, 2020, 06:06 PM

1. If someone says "I wish you well." is that a well wish or a good wish? ntp

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to AnnaLee (Reply #1)

Sat Oct 3, 2020, 10:46 PM

3. It's a good wish

because "wish" is a noun, which takes an adjective to modify it.

When you say "I wish you well" the "to be" is understood. What you are really saying is "I wish you (to be) well."

The "to be" makes the "wish" into a verbal form, the same as saying "I wish you will be well," where the "will be is the verbal form--which takes an adverbial modifier.

"I feel well" can mean "my sense of touch is good," or "I feel (myself to be) well."

I just looked for some backup online, and it seems that this battle has already been lost. So go ahead and say whatever you please. I'll just cringe over here in the corner all by myself.

Reply to this post

Response to cyclonefence (Original post)

Sat Oct 3, 2020, 06:13 PM

2. A deep well. A cold, deep, deep well.

Reply to this post

Response to ret5hd (Reply #2)

Sat Oct 3, 2020, 10:46 PM

4. Buddy, you got that right. n/t

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread