HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Music Legends Eric Clapto...

Fri Nov 27, 2020, 11:54 AM

Music Legends Eric Clapton, Van Morrison Team for Anti-Lockdown Single 'Stand and Deliver'

Music legends Van Morrison and Eric Clapton have announced a new single, “Stand and Deliver,” in support of Morrison’s Save Live Music campaign. The blues track was written by Morrison and is performed by Clapton.

Morrison, best known for songs like “Brown Eyed Girl,” “Domino” and “Wild Night,” as well as seminal albums “Moondance” and “Astral Weeks,” released three songs protesting the U.K. lockdown over September and October, titled “Born To Be Free,” “As I Walked Out” and “No More Lockdown.”

Proceeds from “Stand and Deliver” will go to the Morrison’s Lockdown Financial Hardship Fund, which helps musicians facing difficulties as a result of the coronavirus and resulting lockdown measures.

Clapton — the only three-time inductee to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame — called the dearth of live events due to lockdown restrictions “deeply upsetting.”

“There are many of us who support Van and his endeavors to save live music; he is an inspiration,” Clapton said. “We must stand up and be counted because we need to find a way out of this mess. The alternative is not worth thinking about. Live music might never recover.”

https://variety.com/2020/music/global/eric-clapton-van-morrison-lockdown-single-1234841031/

26 replies, 1800 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 26 replies Author Time Post
Reply Music Legends Eric Clapton, Van Morrison Team for Anti-Lockdown Single 'Stand and Deliver' (Original post)
demmiblue Nov 2020 OP
catbyte Nov 2020 #1
SlogginThroughIt Nov 2020 #2
smirkymonkey Nov 2020 #13
Wounded Bear Nov 2020 #3
CatMor Nov 2020 #4
Squinch Nov 2020 #5
GeorgeGist Nov 2020 #6
Silent3 Nov 2020 #7
dchill Nov 2020 #8
Ponietz Nov 2020 #11
demmiblue Nov 2020 #15
Silent3 Nov 2020 #23
jpak Nov 2020 #9
jcgoldie Nov 2020 #10
bdtrppr6 Nov 2020 #12
randr Nov 2020 #14
FakeNoose Nov 2020 #24
randr Nov 2020 #25
NameAlreadyTaken Nov 2020 #16
Iggo Nov 2020 #17
demmiblue Nov 2020 #18
2naSalit Nov 2020 #19
NameAlreadyTaken Nov 2020 #20
ProfessorGAC Nov 2020 #21
Bayard Nov 2020 #22
Jlz Nov 2020 #26

Response to demmiblue (Original post)

Fri Nov 27, 2020, 11:58 AM

1. jfc. It sounds like Clapton is relapsing back to his pro-Skinhead days. Another poor choice.

Sad.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Nov 27, 2020, 12:02 PM

2. What a couple of fucking morons.

Live music is going to die? What people won’t play music live again after the pandemic? VM was my favorite musician and now I can’t fucking stand him in his old age.

They are just a couple if selfish old fucks. How about all the other industries that are suffering? It is a global fucking pandemic idiots! God damn I am so sick of all the stupid. Fuckfaces like these two are the reason we are still not back to normal after 9 fuckin months of this shit. I am tired of it and it isn’t going to get better until people wise up.

Reply to this post

Response to SlogginThroughIt (Reply #2)

Fri Nov 27, 2020, 01:27 PM

13. +1000

Do they really think that listening to live music in huge crowds is the most pressing issue of the day right now? Why don't they take some of their money and do something to HELP people instead of going off on another one of their ego trips.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 27, 2020, 12:03 PM

3. Entertainment in general has been changed...

and likely will never "recover" to where it was before. And if it does, it will take years.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 27, 2020, 12:06 PM

4. So with those two ...

.it's OK if people die as long as they can play their music live. Perhaps they should retire. I can't believe their ignorance.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 27, 2020, 12:07 PM

5. Meanwhile, countries that acted like adults and did not act like morons are re-opening. Because

they beat the virus back. Australia can fill sports stadiums without worrying about spread because they ignored imbeciles like clapton and morrison. And musicians in those countries now have their live audiences back.
This is the DU member formerly known as Squinch.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 27, 2020, 12:08 PM

6. Covid supports them ...

they're to die for.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 27, 2020, 12:09 PM

7. I'd need more background on this story

The title of the article calls the song "Anti-Lockdown", but then the rest of the article just sounds like it's about finding a way to help support musicians through the lockdown, so live music will survive afterward.

I searched a bit, but can't find a performance of the song, or even the lyrics, to tell if the song really is anti-lockdown or not. Are these musicians really on record as opposing the lockdown?

Reply to this post

Response to Silent3 (Reply #7)

Fri Nov 27, 2020, 12:26 PM

8. There you go.

Reply to this post

Response to dchill (Reply #8)

Fri Nov 27, 2020, 01:04 PM

11. My daily reminder to confirm everything before reacting -- division is the point

2 days ago it was forged tweets attributed to Peter Shilton from the online gambling lobby concerning the death of Maradona. Here’s the real one:

Before that it was Pope Francis alleged ‘like’ of an Instagram post from a Brazilian bikini model in minimal schoolgirl clothing.

Reply to this post

Response to Silent3 (Reply #7)

Fri Nov 27, 2020, 01:38 PM

15. Some background on Van Morrison:

Van Morrison criticises 'fascist bullies' in anti-lockdown Covid songs

Van Morrison has described the British government as “fascist bullies disturbing our peace” in one of three new tracks he has written to protest against safety measures to prevent the spread of Covid-19.

On No More Lockdown, Morrison sings:

“No more lockdown / No more government overreach / No more fascist bullies / Disturbing our peace …

No more taking of our freedom / And our God-given rights / Pretending it’s for our safety / When it’s really to enslave …”

The song also condemns “celebrities telling us what we’re supposed to feel”, although the 75-year-old Northern Irish songwriter denied doing this himself.

“I’m not telling people what to do or think,” he said in a statement. “The government is doing a great job of that already. It’s about freedom of choice. I believe people should have the right to think for themselves.”

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/sep/18/van-morrison-fascist-bullies-anti-lockdown-covid-songs

Van Morrison blasts Covid gig limits as 'pseudoscience'

Van Morrison has denounced the supposed “pseudoscience” around coronavirus and is attempting to rally musicians in a campaign to restore live music concerts with full capacity audiences.

The 74-year-old Northern Irish singer launched a campaign to “save live music” on his website, saying socially distanced gigs were not economically viable. “I call on my fellow singers, musicians, writers, producers, promoters and others in the industry to fight with me on this. Come forward, stand up, fight the pseudo-science and speak up,” he said.

Morrison is due to play socially distanced gigs in England next month, but he said this did not signify agreement with restrictions to curb the Covid-19 pandemic, which has claimed more than 800,000 lives worldwide.

“This is not a sign of compliance or acceptance of the current state of affairs, this is to get my band up and running and out of the doldrums. This is also not the answer going forward. We need to be playing to full capacity audiences going forward.”

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/aug/25/van-morrison-blasts-covid-gig-limits-pseudoscience

Reply to this post

Response to demmiblue (Reply #15)

Fri Nov 27, 2020, 05:28 PM

23. Okay, that sounds pretty genuinely assholish and stupid to me n/t

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 27, 2020, 12:26 PM

9. I'm the Dandy Highway Man

Sez the virus

Yup

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 27, 2020, 12:28 PM

10. Pretty disappointed in slowhand

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 27, 2020, 01:18 PM

12. 2 more for the toilet n/t

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 27, 2020, 01:33 PM

14. With their wealth and fame they could make a positive difference

Too bad they, especially Van, have fallen to the dark side.
A program to fund musicians is a great idea. They need to make it work with protections for us to conquer the Covid.

Reply to this post

Response to randr (Reply #14)

Fri Nov 27, 2020, 05:45 PM

24. I agree - it's a mistake to make this political

... when it should have remained a cultural/social issue. I support the idea of live music performance, but like most people I refuse to participate in any large group right now. Does any musician want to become known as the Covid-concert guy? I doubt it.

No concert venue can afford the risk or the liability insurance of holding a large event right now. The Covid lawsuits are already starting up, and they will become a major reckoning very soon.

Reply to this post

Response to FakeNoose (Reply #24)

Fri Nov 27, 2020, 06:35 PM

25. I agree re: lawsuits etal

People and businesses will rue the day they ignored protocols

Reply to this post

Response to NameAlreadyTaken (Reply #16)

Fri Nov 27, 2020, 01:55 PM

17. Aw.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 27, 2020, 02:02 PM

18. Sacrilege!

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 27, 2020, 03:00 PM

19. You're not a musician are you?

Reply to this post

Response to 2naSalit (Reply #19)

Response to NameAlreadyTaken (Reply #20)

Fri Nov 27, 2020, 03:14 PM

21. Not At All The Same

I have 13 guitars hanging on walls around me, and a piano 6 feet from where I'm sitting.
I play them all.
It's not even remotely like playing before a live audience.
And you description of the audio really only applies to stadiums & arenas. Mid-size venues (5,000 and under) are not difficult to create a fine sound experience.
Get down to a 2,000-3,000 seat theater and the sound can match our stereos.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 27, 2020, 05:01 PM

22. I can understand wanting to help out fellow musicians

But the method is poor. I was married to a blues musician for 30 years, and if he wasn't playing live, he didn't make any money.

A number of professions are hurting badly right now, for lack of live patronage. Many restaurants closing, probably for good.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 28, 2020, 01:09 PM

26. Not an inspiration to me.

Their charitable efforts are welcome, but why don't these two "legends" team up to urge the US Congress to provide financial relief to those in need? This would do much to "save music" and "save musicians", as well as restaurateurs and other small businesses and their millions of employees. I know nothing about Morrison's health, but Clapton has disclosed that he is diabetic with a number of related conditions. If Clapton gets covid-19, he is likely to become very ill indeed. Their thought processes seem sclerotic, but then again they've always been entitled jerks. I've never understood the "genius" label either, which has been used to excuse the gaffes and prejudice, when so much of their work is derivative and not as good as the original.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread