HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The Supreme Court has sch...

Mon Jan 4, 2021, 07:04 PM

The Supreme Court has scheduled a motion for a possible hearing on a Trump campaign lawsuit.

CBS News
@CBSNews

The Supreme Court has scheduled a motion for a possible hearing on a Trump campaign lawsuit. According to the docket, it's targeting the president's attempts to overturn Biden's win in Wisconsin. More on CBSN’s “Red & Blue” https://rb.gy/o7akwe

8 replies, 1781 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply The Supreme Court has scheduled a motion for a possible hearing on a Trump campaign lawsuit. (Original post)
Lady Freedom Returns Jan 2021 OP
Leghorn21 Jan 2021 #1
OAITW r.2.0 Jan 2021 #2
Hugin Jan 2021 #3
lunatica Jan 2021 #4
Deuxcents Jan 2021 #7
Kashkakat v.2.0 Jan 2021 #5
BumRushDaShow Jan 2021 #8
StarfishSaver Jan 2021 #6

Response to Lady Freedom Returns (Original post)

Mon Jan 4, 2021, 07:10 PM

1. Well, tell em to look out for Lin Wood!!

If @realDonaldTrump orders military to seize documents, Chief Justice Roberts, Rod Rosenstein, Nancy Pelosi, & many others will be immediately arrested.

Documents must be seized before they are destroyed. Time is now of the essence if this part of the Kraken is to be successful.”

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Jan 4, 2021, 07:10 PM

2. I hope this is the start of many more lawsuits.

Democrats should press this in all contested States. And, make sure you sue Trump's legal PAC that sells his MAGA shit for financial damages. Take away his profits for destroying our democracy.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 4, 2021, 07:15 PM

3. Is this a good thing, bad thing, or no thing?

I've lost my line-up card.

Reply to this post

Response to Hugin (Reply #3)

Mon Jan 4, 2021, 07:17 PM

4. Whiplash!

Reply to this post

Response to lunatica (Reply #4)

Mon Jan 4, 2021, 07:30 PM

7. Me, too.

I’m trying to keep up..maybe that’s the end game..keep our heads spinning and we’ll give up. No. hell, no. I’ll make a chart until these people who want to destroy our democracy are accounted for.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 4, 2021, 07:19 PM

5. Not clear - who is suing who? I wish we in WI could just go back to being an

ordinary state. Who decided we had to be a "battleground" state? Our politics became nationalized and corrupted only recently w/ the election ofWalker and radical right legislators. There was a time we were known for open, clean, honest govt. Seems like an eternity ago....

Reply to this post

Response to Kashkakat v.2.0 (Reply #5)

Mon Jan 4, 2021, 07:53 PM

8. "Who decided we had to be a "battleground" state? Our politics became nationalized"

These guys -

How the Koch brothers built the most powerful rightwing group you've never heard of

Americans for Prosperity is a little-known, billionaire-funded organization that has pushed US politics to the right. How did it happen?

by Alexander Hertel-Fernandez, Caroline Tervo, Theda Skocpol

Wed 26 Sep 2018 03.01 EDT
Last modified on Fri 23 Aug 2019 10.09 EDT

The cries of “Shame! Shame! Shame!” rang throughout the marbled walls of the Wisconsin state assembly chamber. Disgusted Democratic politicians, some of whom had been up for over 60 hours by this point, punctuated their chants by throwing papers – and even drinks – at their Republican counterparts. Police officers had to be summoned to physically restrain one Democratic representative yelling “Cowards!” across the aisle.

The source of this confrontation, in the early hours of February 2011, was an unprecedented push by Wisconsin Republicans, led by the state’s newly elected Republican governor, Scott Walker, to slash the union rights held by most public workers. Walker argued that budget woes in the state necessitated the shift, and barrelled forward to eliminate the rights of virtually all public-sector workers to collectively bargain with government and to allow government employees to opt out of paying dues to their unions.

At first blush this might seem like a years-old local issue in a US state that rarely lights up the international headlines. Yet events in Wisconsin are crucial to understanding how a little-known, billionaire-funded organization, called Americans for Prosperity (AFP), has tilted American politics to the right. It is intertwined with, and rivals in size, the Republican party itself.

Where did Walker’s ultra-conservative labor agenda come from? As a candidate, Walker barely mentioned collective bargaining or union busting. And we know this plan did not come from voters. Before the legislation popped up on the agenda, Wisconsinites generally supported collective bargaining. Nationally, only about 40% of American adults favor curbs to public sector bargaining rights, and in Wisconsin, this minority level of support was about the same. Instead, to understand what happened in Wisconsin – and what is happening in states across the country – we need to look to the underappreciated organization that is at the center of the political network created and directed by the billionaire conservative industrialists, Charles and David Koch.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/sep/26/koch-brothers-americans-for-prosperity-rightwing-political-group

David bought the farm in 2019 so it's just Charles left of the evil pair but I suppose one could say that it was "mission accomplished". They had a fruitful 10 year run, leaving the nation in tatters with the rise of the reality show fake billionaire, who had enough "working digits" to "sign (their) stuff", who was eventually presented the agenda as laid out by Grover Norquist in 2012, a year after Walker got in, which was shepherded through Congress by Ryan to yield their long-sought tax breaks.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 4, 2021, 07:26 PM

6. This tweet makes no sense

All I see on the Supreme Court docket is that, on December 29 and 30, Trump filed for a writs of certioriari appealing decisions by the Wisconsin Supreme Court and the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals booting out Trump's case against Joe Biden and the Wisconsin Election Commission, respectively, and today the Court entered the cases on the docket, a standard procedure.

This is NOT the same as the court "scheduling a motion for a possible hearing."

Am I missing something?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread