HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » A word about presidenting...

Fri Oct 5, 2012, 10:44 PM

A word about presidenting - people cheat

How to say this succinctly....

If you can be defeated by a set of hidden crib notes in a hanky, you are not fit to be president.

The President of the United States has to navigate a complex world of conflicting, incomplete, and sometimes deliberately untruthful information.

The world doesn't play by a set of rules where everyone is expected to behave on their honor. Now, that's the approach to take, but if your strategic approach to success depends on nobody cheating, then I don't care if anyone is cheating or not - you do not have a realistic approach to winning.

President Obama allowed Mitt to spew crap, threaten Big Bird, run away from his tax plans, and backtrack on his promise to repeal Obamacare.

Now, earlier that day, people started shooting each other across the Syria-Turkey border. I have every confidence that President Obama did not take one second away from the attention that situation demanded, for the purpose of thinking or even caring what was going to happen in the debate.

President Obama did not let Romney walk back the 47% comments, because he obviously made a deliberate decision to let Romney spew, but to disallow Romney to recite canned responses to obvious attacks.

For whatever reason, that was the approach he decided to take, and it was the approach he took.

President Obama is by no means perfect, and certainly has had some surprises and had to re-work a few things here and there.

HOWEVER, he is also a very good politician. In the long run, you will lose a lot of money betting against his judgment. One of the hallmarks of his approach to politics is to let his opponents screw themselves. He makes very few errors, which is why the right has to strain and stretch to dig up, for example, the Joe the Plumber exchange, tear a few words out of the larger context, and build an entire mythology around "redistribution". They really have to work to try to blow air into those leaky balloons.

Against the tremendous intelligence and wit of this exceptional man, and his judgment on how to approach this particular debate, the proposal here is that it can all be run widdershins by a crib sheet.

OMG, if some world leader brings a crib sheet to a treaty discussion or a multi-lateral negotiation, we are obviously screwed as a nation!

I don't give a tinker's damn whether Mitt had the Google and the Library of Congress in microprint shoved up his ass, and the Encyclopedia Brittanica tattooed on the inside of his eyelids, I am not inclined to believe that it matters, and I find the suggestion that President Obama was undone by a crib sheet to be a severe and frankly insulting underestimation of this remarkable man.

2 replies, 722 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply A word about presidenting - people cheat (Original post)
jberryhill Oct 2012 OP
2pooped2pop Oct 2012 #1
jberryhill Oct 2012 #2

Response to jberryhill (Original post)

Sat Oct 6, 2012, 05:36 AM

1. I don't think anyone has said that Rmoney's cheat sheet

is the reason Obama did not perform in the way we had hoped.

It's a matter of someone being low enough and willing to cheat during a presidential debate. That person should never be allowed near the White House, even for a visit.

After the Bush box in the back debate, we really are tired of republicans cheating to win. That's their standard op.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to 2pooped2pop (Reply #1)

Sat Oct 6, 2012, 12:21 PM

2. Tired of Republican cheating?

You do know why the suffix "-gate" is connected to political skulduggery, yes?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread