HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » There's never a "last str...

Sat Jan 16, 2021, 10:18 AM

There's never a "last straw" with this guy

I thought this whole attack at the Capitol last week was going to make many in the Trump base pause and see Trump for what he really is. Sadly, I don't think that's happening at the level it should be.

Instead, his base is working overtime to perpetuate the lie that the election was stolen, and to excuse him for inciting the mob that stormed the Capitol. It is mind boggling how far out of the way they go to keep supporting him.

Whatever you think of Trump, he has some kind of weird power over his followers that keeps them from seeing what's really going on.

It truly is a cult.

Why don't the good leaders get this kind of support? Could you imagine if Trump had used his power for actual good instead of evil?

7 replies, 865 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply There's never a "last straw" with this guy (Original post)
Ohioboy Jan 2021 OP
musclecar6 Jan 2021 #1
Thekaspervote Jan 2021 #2
paleotn Jan 2021 #4
Ohioboy Jan 2021 #6
paleotn Jan 2021 #7
paleotn Jan 2021 #3
Silent3 Jan 2021 #5

Response to Ohioboy (Original post)

Sat Jan 16, 2021, 10:40 AM

1. The cult leaders

Seldom seem to use their highly manipulative persona to do good works. They mostly tend to fall in the category of narcissistic/sociopath/psychopath types.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Jan 16, 2021, 10:42 AM

2. I've seen a couple of articles that his cult is now angrily telling him to get out of the way

They want violence no matter ...

Reply to this post

Response to Thekaspervote (Reply #2)

Sat Jan 16, 2021, 10:45 AM

4. Saw that....

Seems the cult has become self aware and moved beyond its leader. It's become self sufficient on what to think and believe, no longer needing outside direction. That's when they really become dangerous. Volumes have been written on this stuff and more volumes will be written on this particular cult.

Reply to this post

Response to paleotn (Reply #4)

Sat Jan 16, 2021, 12:09 PM

6. What happens when a very bad leader steps in? Someone way smarter than Trump.

Way smarter than Trump wouldn't take much.

Reply to this post

Response to Ohioboy (Reply #6)

Sat Jan 16, 2021, 12:28 PM

7. Petty leaders rise from within the movement.

Naturally, since by definition, these people love to be led. One may be able to coopt the whole thing. That's a guess. What I do know if Biden's admin needs to nip this thing in the bud. If his folks think impeachment of a former president will be a distraction from their agenda, try dealing with an armed insurgency.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 16, 2021, 10:42 AM

3. We could have been the global gold standard at dealing with Covid-19

Our government has been planning for this eventuality for over 50 years. If Donnie had simply let those who know do what they've been planning for decades, he would have been unbeatable last Nov. But to what end? Jim Jones appeared to be doing some really great things in San Francisco back in the 60's and 70's. That is if you ignore all the cult like stuff. But lock step devotion always ends badly. Many times catastrophically. And democracies aren't built for cult following.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread