HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Question for Doctor types

Sat Jan 16, 2021, 03:17 PM

Question for Doctor types

If people tested positive for covid, shouldn't they not be considered for the vaccine?

I've heard that the true infected number is up to 3 times the world meters infected total: today its over 24,000,000 for US. So as many as 75,000,000 wouldn't need the vaccine? (they're effectively vaccinated)

If Biden can achieve the 100,000,000 vaccines in 100 days. That would mean potentially 175,000,000 would have the antibodies, that's half the population. Add to that, i feel, 20 and younger that wouldn't need the vaccine, we could be approaching herd immunity by 100 days.

4 replies, 603 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Question for Doctor types (Original post)
newdayneeded Jan 2021 OP
Ms. Toad Jan 2021 #1
Massacure Jan 2021 #2
Blue Owl Jan 2021 #3
hlthe2b Jan 2021 #4

Response to newdayneeded (Original post)

Sat Jan 16, 2021, 03:20 PM

1. It is not yet known whether having had COVID provides immunity.

There are documented cases of reinfection.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Jan 16, 2021, 03:22 PM

2. The assumption is currently that you are immune to COVID if you have previously had it.

How long that immunity lasts from having contracted COVID or having had the vaccine is currently unknown, and there are a handful of counter examples where people have gotten infected twice. Waiting to vaccinate known COVID survivors probably makes sense from a public health perspective, though identifying people who unknowingly had it is probably not feasible.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 16, 2021, 03:26 PM

3. "doctor types"

Sorry but your post title made me laugh!

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 16, 2021, 03:32 PM

4. Latest study of COVID-survivors shows antibodies present only 3-5 months (and it has not yet

been determined at what level of naturally-acquired antibody presence people are truly protected from reinfection. So, it is quite possible that true protection from immunity is even shorter than 3-5 months, so no.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread