HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Does anyone else think it...

Sat Jan 30, 2021, 03:01 PM

Does anyone else think it's more than a lust for power...

...that keeps Republicans tethered to Trump? Anyone with eyes can see, or a brain can understand the destruction Trump has done to the Republican party, indeed to our Constitutional Democracy, yet they continue to do his bidding, continue to pretend he is the way, the truth, and the light. I keep thinking it's something much more compelling than mere power that holds them. I think it's stone, cold terror. Someone has something on all of them and they are afraid of shame and/or prison. Is anyone trying to figure out what it is that is holding them?

37 replies, 1191 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 37 replies Author Time Post
Reply Does anyone else think it's more than a lust for power... (Original post)
Trueblue Texan Jan 2021 OP
NRaleighLiberal Jan 2021 #1
Democracy2020 Jan 2021 #2
Arkansas Granny Jan 2021 #20
Irish_Dem Jan 2021 #22
DemocratSinceBirth Jan 2021 #3
CrispyQ Jan 2021 #4
Thekaspervote Jan 2021 #16
Laelth Jan 2021 #5
uponit7771 Jan 2021 #6
SlogginThroughIt Jan 2021 #33
uponit7771 Jan 2021 #34
Iggo Jan 2021 #7
oldbones Jan 2021 #8
RKP5637 Jan 2021 #9
Trueblue Texan Jan 2021 #12
RKP5637 Jan 2021 #19
Nay Jan 2021 #21
Demsrule86 Jan 2021 #10
OAITW r.2.0 Jan 2021 #11
Trueblue Texan Jan 2021 #14
BComplex Jan 2021 #26
Irish_Dem Jan 2021 #13
Skittles Jan 2021 #15
Trueblue Texan Jan 2021 #17
dutch777 Jan 2021 #18
Kitchari Jan 2021 #23
2naSalit Jan 2021 #24
RKP5637 Jan 2021 #29
Baked Potato Jan 2021 #25
Trueblue Texan Jan 2021 #36
Baked Potato Jan 2021 #37
Mariana Jan 2021 #27
Baked Potato Jan 2021 #28
RKP5637 Jan 2021 #30
BlueNProud Jan 2021 #31
ananda Jan 2021 #32
stillcool Jan 2021 #35

Response to Trueblue Texan (Original post)

Sat Jan 30, 2021, 03:04 PM

1. ... do all roads lead to Vladimir????

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Democracy2020 (Reply #2)

Sat Jan 30, 2021, 03:31 PM

20. We never got an explanation for that.

Reply to this post

Response to Arkansas Granny (Reply #20)

Sat Jan 30, 2021, 03:43 PM

22. Money and info: how to cheat to win elections.

Those are the main reasons our congress people would fly to Moscow.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 30, 2021, 03:06 PM

3. The Republican party

The Republican party's commitment to democracy only extends to it keeping it in power. The rest is history.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 30, 2021, 03:06 PM

4. I'm sure there's dirt on some of them but at the base, it's lust for power.

They see how he can bring in money & get out voters. They're in a bind. They cultivated the zealots, racists, & loons & now they've lost control & they can't win without them.

Reply to this post

Response to CrispyQ (Reply #4)

Sat Jan 30, 2021, 03:23 PM

16. ☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 30, 2021, 03:09 PM

5. Mostly, I suspect that they just don't want to lose their jobs.

It sucks to lose a job. Itís a blow to the ego that ushers in a period of uncertainty. Losing a job can also devastate your personal finances.

Notice that itís much easier for ďformerĒ Republican officeholders to criticize Trump. Those people donít have jobs for lose. Current officeholders do. In the main, theyíre just trying to keep their jobs.

-Laelth

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 30, 2021, 03:09 PM

6. Trump has 90% approval rating in the kGOP, its pure lust for power. Could you imagine if the...

... DNC "distanced" themselves away from Obama just for being Obama?

Yeah, the kGOP can't do that either ... it'll crack em into pieces.

Moscow Mitch made a deal with the devil and now the devil wants to seal the relationship.

Reply to this post

Response to uponit7771 (Reply #6)

Sat Jan 30, 2021, 05:30 PM

33. The two are not even remotely comparable.

I donít know how in the world one compares the relationship that Donald Trump has with the GOP to the democratic party and Obama. The GOP is supporting a criminal. Why?

Obama isnít a criminal who was impeached two times. While I do believe fir some it is lust for power I think some of the, and possibly large fish are loyal because of bribery.

Reply to this post

Response to SlogginThroughIt (Reply #33)

Sat Jan 30, 2021, 05:56 PM

34. That would be true if the kGOP thought Trump did anything wrong (link inside)

70% of Trump voters don't think the 1/6 attacks were Trumps fault.

Poll: Most Republicans believe Trump bears no responsibility for Capitol attacks

https://www.vox.com/2021/1/16/22234704/poll-republicans-trump-capitol-riot-blame

Of course Obama isn't a criminal but we're not dealing with a fact based bunch of people, FAUX News like outfits are litterally tearing the country apart at the seams.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 30, 2021, 03:12 PM

8. I think you nailed it, that and they cant get enough money. They are killing us for greed.

Reply to this post

9. IMO it's all about holding power, money and keeping them in office, plus their personality type.

They're afraid if they don't side with Trump, they will lose their vote ... and there are so many crazies in the US, that's a legitimate concern to them. ... and it brings to mind, why did some Germans side with Hitler ...

Reply to this post

Response to RKP5637 (Reply #9)

Sat Jan 30, 2021, 03:18 PM

12. I just have trouble believing they would feel more enslaved...

...by losing their jobs and making less money than they already are, being shackled to a lying, crazy, power-hungry egomaniac. I do not understand how they can feel empowered in the situation they are in when they are clearly owned.

Reply to this post

Response to Trueblue Texan (Reply #12)

Sat Jan 30, 2021, 03:31 PM

19. I've been amazed they haven't collectively told Trump to F off. Really, do they expect their

political futures to be great being a slave to a sociopathic narcissistic ass like Trump. It's stunning to me and amazingly stupid.

Reply to this post

Response to Trueblue Texan (Reply #12)

Sat Jan 30, 2021, 03:33 PM

21. They are OK with sucking up as long as it allows them the power to kick down. nt

Reply to this post

10. Primary fear...pure and simple.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 30, 2021, 03:15 PM

11. Remember the Russian hacker break-in of the Democratic email server?

I'm betting they also have the emails from the GOP. I'm also betting that there's many more embarrassing, possibly even criminal implications to many party members.

Reply to this post

Response to OAITW r.2.0 (Reply #11)

Sat Jan 30, 2021, 03:20 PM

14. ...this is what I'm thinking...

I'm thinking it's not only something that is criminal and can land them in prison, but something that is deeply shameful. You know how Trump is always projecting...you know the crazy shit Qanon followers believe...maybe they are merely projecting as well. That's some shameful stuff. Who knows where the boundaries of Nutsville lie?

Reply to this post

Response to Trueblue Texan (Reply #14)

Sat Jan 30, 2021, 04:16 PM

26. Republicans are the pedophiles. They always accuse other people of the things they themselves

are guilty of.

That's how Qanon reeled them all in, by saying it's democrats who are pedophiles. You know that many of them have been accused before. I know a young aide that had the experience himself with a GOPer, but never made the accusation publicly. Plus, the "Christian" party, also are cheating about half the time on their spouses.

I'm sure putin and his spies have all the information they will ever need on hundreds of republicans, in DC and in state houses, not to mention the money they've taken from the russians.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 30, 2021, 03:18 PM

13. Power, greed, and agreement.

They agree with the racist message.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 30, 2021, 03:21 PM

15. the thing is, Trueblue Texan

what could that someone POSSIBLY know that would make repukes seem even more disgusting than we already know them to be?

Reply to this post

Response to Skittles (Reply #15)

Sat Jan 30, 2021, 03:27 PM

17. Yes, Skittles!

It would have to be something completely repulsive, something so vile even they would fear it's disclosure.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 30, 2021, 03:30 PM

18. I think its primarily power and being bereft of any new good ideas, Trump is what's left

It's pretty pathetic. And while there may be a little LBJ style hardball back room politics where skeletons in the closet are known (Lindsey Graham aka Lady G maybe?) I don't think there is all that much. Maybe we should start a QAnon style conspiracy theory alternative universe that has all the terrible Repubs under a Snope like master and eating puppies and kittens for breakfast?

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 30, 2021, 03:57 PM

23. It's Both/And

They need the power because they are afraid AND they have shameful deeds to hide -They are also afraid of the polonium or whatever Putin has threatened not just their lives, but their family's lives as well

Reply to this post

Response to Kitchari (Reply #23)

Sat Jan 30, 2021, 03:59 PM

24. +1

Reply to this post

Response to Kitchari (Reply #23)

Sat Jan 30, 2021, 05:08 PM

29. +1, n/t

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 30, 2021, 04:06 PM

25. Someone may have solid information of Rat-fucking the elections for Republicans.

Money isnít the only leverage with these people. Itís knowledge of deeds. Trump now has all the Intel gathered as President. And, he has what Putin and other countries have provided him for blackmail on politicians and others for deal making.

Some thoughts on what the leverage could be:

On Trump:
Underage girls, human trafficking
Drug trafficking
Shady deals

On Trump as President:
Payoffs to terrorists and drug lords
Shady deals to include arms sales

On Republicans:
Proof of shady deals
Rat-fucking of prior elections
Emails hacked with highly embarrassing info

Rich Republican movers and shakers donít want the country to enjoy the good life of what a Democratic President can deliver lest we figure out their way is total crap. These rich donors donít care what happens just as long as the country doesnít go liberal. Happy people vote Democratic and the scared, unhappy people vote Republican. So, they will pour money into what and whoever helps them stay rich and the country stay miserable.

At this pivotal point in time Trump controls the civilian ďmuscleĒ of their Party. Republicans now have to decide how to control that muscle. Trump still owns them. Republicans who care about the country are in a helluva bind. Trump needs a talkiní to with a heap of leverage on him. They need to get him out.

Reply to this post

Response to Baked Potato (Reply #25)

Sat Jan 30, 2021, 08:01 PM

36. I just don't think their base would care...

...about shady deals, or even illegal deals with known terrorists. There's plenty of evidence of that already and the Republican party isn't phased. It's gotta be something really disgusting, really shameful. I mean, what laws hasn't Trump broken with ample evidence to back up the accusations and his base couldn't care less. No big deal. It's only a big deal when the Democrats are accused of it (Al Franken?) so I rather doubt they are worried about election fraud on the Republican side, or bribes, or campaign violations, money laundering, or whatever. It's something that is vile and a lot of them are terrified. And it could be that their families are threatened. I hadn't thought of that before.

Reply to this post

Response to Trueblue Texan (Reply #36)

Sat Jan 30, 2021, 08:11 PM

37. It could be exactly what the Q people are projecting about.

Pedophilia. Sex trafficking. Ritualistic cults involving children.

I always wondered where all the investigations went with regard to illegal drug usage. I know all the Mueller subjects werenít upstanding drug-free good citizens. I assume the drug charges were dropped for testimony on other issues.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 30, 2021, 04:26 PM

27. They're afraid of Trump's terrorist cult members.

They're afraid of losing their seats, yes, and they're afraid of losing social status at home if they dare to criticize Trump.

They're also afraid their homes will be burned down, their children harassed, and their families' lives threatened. They're afraid of being assassinated. They are appeasing the terrorists.

Reply to this post

Response to Mariana (Reply #27)

Sat Jan 30, 2021, 04:38 PM

28. Yes, this. At the base level they are scared of the very people who put them in.

This didnít start with Trump. I remember when the right wing TEA party pieces of shit started carrying guns around when President Obama was in town. I remember seeing them in Arizona carrying around assault rifles. That was to intimidate President Obama AND intimidate their own local politicians. There was no push backójust more coddling.

Reply to this post

Response to Mariana (Reply #27)

Sat Jan 30, 2021, 05:12 PM

30. Yes, I think there is a lot to what you say, and they've well demonstrated how violent and ruthless

they are. I do fear for the future of the US. I think some voting republicans still think we have Eisenhower type republicans in office and running for office. Some are damn dense, IMO.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 30, 2021, 05:16 PM

31. Most GOP objections to Dump are about style and his odious lack of character

On the substance, most of them agree with everything he's done,

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 30, 2021, 05:17 PM

32. Does it being with an R and end with an a?

Derp

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 30, 2021, 06:17 PM

35. When I look at the way...

the GOP has behaved throughout my lifetime, the only thing that has changed is the amperage. It bothers me, that I can not understand how people can be okay with the path they're on, and where it's leading. They eat, sleep, and breathe rage and hatred. That's my problem, but it sure isn't theirs. They live in a different reality. Lots of different realities. The silent power of greed, those who serve that power, and the desperate true-believers. Not a lot of wiggle room when you're wrapped that tight.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread