HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Military Extremists: Conc...

Wed Feb 3, 2021, 06:45 PM

Military Extremists: Concise Modern history 1990-Now

First, a little relevant personal history:

I will share a 1994 odd experience. I moved to a western right wing awesome skiing state after a freeze on lending tanked my businesses in New England.

A friend gave me a name of a friend who I contacted and met. Imagine my surprise when the friend invited me to a John Birch Society meeting. No joke. True story 1994!

It was then that this naive McGovern Democrat realized that extremism was alive and well.

A couple of years later I was invited to a “special meeting” by a former US Army Green Beret co-worker to something militia.

Admittedly out of citizen journalist curiosity, I attended. In 1996 in this red western almost 100% Caucasian society was a racist, intolerant, fear frenzied movement organizing more than one militia group.

No contact thereafter. I never wanted to experience the toxicity that filled that room.

Fast forward 2020. That same toxicity now permeates the air waves. Domestic terrorist sympathizers hold office in the US Congress!

When Democrats gain control, these already fearful, well-armed right wing militias are manipulated into a fearful blood-lust frenzy.

This article offers a concise, well-linked history of the rise of white, right wing, white supremacy militias morphing into serial terrorists.

From the article:

“According to a 2006 Southern Poverty Law Center report, by the 1990s far-right extremist leaders were pushing younger members of their groups to join the military in order to develop skills with weapons and explosives — skills the service member would then use to train their fellow extremists, as well as commit attacks. The Department of Defense has long maintained that it has zero tolerance for white supremacy or anti-government extremists in its ranks, but history suggests many white supremacists have joined nonetheless.”
https://theweek.com/articles/833960/american-militarys-extremist-problem

2 replies, 407 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Military Extremists: Concise Modern history 1990-Now (Original post)
OhNo-Really Feb 2021 OP
Thomas Hurt Feb 2021 #1
OhNo-Really Feb 2021 #2

Response to OhNo-Really (Original post)

Wed Feb 3, 2021, 07:03 PM

1. Birchers, Patriot Movement, "Militias", Minutemen, Neo-confederates,

all the same nutjobs

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Thomas Hurt (Reply #1)

Wed Feb 3, 2021, 07:07 PM

2. Yes. Foundations of hate & self-importantance

I concluded that many of the people I met were men feeling inadequate or lacking control over their ability to protect & provide fir their families. Wages are a lot lower in many western red states

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread