HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » WP: Senior Democrats to u...

Sun Feb 7, 2021, 10:10 AM

WP: Senior Democrats to unveil new $3,000-per-child benefit as Biden stimulus gains steam

Senior Democrats on Monday will unveil legislation to provide $3,000 per child to tens of millions of American families, aiming to make a major dent in child poverty as part of President Bidenís $1.9 trillion economic relief package.

The 22-page bill to dramatically expand direct cash benefits to American families was obtained by The Washington Post ahead of its release.

Under the proposal, the Internal Revenue Service would provide $3,600 over the course of the year per child under the age of 6, as well as $3,000 per child of ages 6 to 17. The size of the benefit would diminish for Americans earning more than $75,000 per year, as well as for couples jointly earning more than $150,000 per year. The payments would be sent monthly beginning in July, a delay intended to give the IRS time to prepare for the massive new initiative.

The bill, spearheaded by Rep. Richard E. Neal (D-Mass.), chair of the House Ways and Means Committee, emerges as congressional Democrats accelerate their plans to enact Bidenís stimulus plan within weeks. It also comes days after Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah) surprised policymakers with a proposal to send even more in direct cash per child to American families, lending bipartisan support to the major push for child benefits.

Bidenís proposed child benefit has quickly emerged as a potentially defining feature of his administrationís economic agenda ó one that could make a lasting imprint on American welfare policy. Its execution could also prove crucial to deciding Democratsí ability to maintain control of Congress, given its likely direct impact on the lives of tens of millions of voters.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2021/02/07/child-benefit-democrats-biden/

32 replies, 2014 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 32 replies Author Time Post
Reply WP: Senior Democrats to unveil new $3,000-per-child benefit as Biden stimulus gains steam (Original post)
StarfishSaver Feb 2021 OP
blueinredohio Feb 2021 #1
Wounded Bear Feb 2021 #2
blueinredohio Feb 2021 #5
Demsrule86 Feb 2021 #10
liberalmuse Feb 2021 #3
uponit7771 Feb 2021 #9
radicalleft Feb 2021 #16
lunatica Feb 2021 #23
Hekate Feb 2021 #32
BlueNProud Feb 2021 #4
Wounded Bear Feb 2021 #6
BlueNProud Feb 2021 #7
Demsrule86 Feb 2021 #11
Wounded Bear Feb 2021 #19
Demsrule86 Feb 2021 #12
Turin_C3PO Feb 2021 #14
Baitball Blogger Feb 2021 #8
Turin_C3PO Feb 2021 #15
Baitball Blogger Feb 2021 #17
Turin_C3PO Feb 2021 #18
KatyMan Feb 2021 #25
Baitball Blogger Feb 2021 #29
KatyMan Feb 2021 #27
roamer65 Feb 2021 #13
Wounded Bear Feb 2021 #20
roamer65 Feb 2021 #21
meadowlander Feb 2021 #24
KatyMan Feb 2021 #28
meadowlander Feb 2021 #30
marlakay Feb 2021 #22
Hortensis Feb 2021 #31
Cha Feb 2021 #26

Response to StarfishSaver (Original post)

Sun Feb 7, 2021, 11:36 AM

1. I'm not against giving families money but

IMO $75000 is a pretty good living.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to blueinredohio (Reply #1)

Sun Feb 7, 2021, 11:47 AM

2. Maybe in redneck parts of Ohio...

not so much in urban areas. In much of suburbia, $75k will barely cover the rent and utilities on a decent family sized house. There is probably no one number that is "fair" for all areas, but if we work on raising the lower end of the economic spectrum, it will make the whole nation a better place to live.

The bar where we divide between low- and middle-class has been steadily rising much faster than people's incomes.

Reply to this post

Response to Wounded Bear (Reply #2)

Sun Feb 7, 2021, 11:58 AM

5. I can only go by what I know.

Reply to this post

Response to Wounded Bear (Reply #2)

Sun Feb 7, 2021, 01:33 PM

10. without 'redneck' parts of this country, we would not have a majority in the Senate.

I remind you that Sherrod Brown Hails from Ohio and we have a shot at Portman's seat in 22. I do not believe that we will pass this...don't have the votes.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 7, 2021, 11:50 AM

3. Not for any family where I live.

There are a lot of places in the US where what seems like a large sum to other Americans is a struggle to others in the more expensive cities. I donít agree with the proposed limits. That will not boost the economy nearly as much. I agree with Bernie and AOC on this. We have a problem with Americans living in places like Iowa and Alabama not understanding many Americans pay taxes in those expensive cities that go to their states.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 7, 2021, 01:26 PM

9. I think I might agree with Manchin that the test is area and back test for taxes

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 7, 2021, 01:48 PM

16. Not in the Metro Detroit area...

My wife and I have yet to receive any Covid relief because we're several thousand over the threshold based on the 2019 limits, but 2020 saw my wife lose her job...cest la vie

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 7, 2021, 08:23 PM

23. In California cities it's barely meeting your debts

Even then itís tough. Mortgages are insanely high and the cost of living drains that kind of salary. In times like this youíre one paycheck away from losing everything, and thatís in normal times.

Reply to this post

Response to lunatica (Reply #23)

Sun Feb 7, 2021, 10:37 PM

32. Add to that, many cannot ever get to the point of having a mortgage because rent drains everything

So much depends on where you live.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 7, 2021, 11:54 AM

4. they need to keep focus and not get into side debates

I remember Clinton's Healthcare push got derailed in part by allies getting out over their skis.

Reply to this post

Response to BlueNProud (Reply #4)

Sun Feb 7, 2021, 12:05 PM

6. So much this...the ACA is a prime example...

it could have been so much better than it turned out. Standard Repub trick, throw wrenches in the gears so nothing gets done and then run on Dem "incompetence."

Paralysis by analysis is a real danger here. We give a bit and negotiate some small measure and pretty soon months have gone by and nothing will have been done.

Reply to this post

Response to Wounded Bear (Reply #6)

Sun Feb 7, 2021, 12:19 PM

7. Focus on the basic promises made in a Covid relief bill then

move to a MASSIVE infrastructure bill with plenty of goodies in GOP districts and peel off GOP house members.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 7, 2021, 01:34 PM

11. Pass the bill...don't add a whole bunch of 'wishes' so the bill fails.

Reply to this post

Response to Demsrule86 (Reply #11)

Sun Feb 7, 2021, 03:57 PM

19. And don't spend a lot of time arguing trivialities, either...

The old saying applies: Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Pres Biden is leading, along with several senior Dems in Congress.

Dems need to get in line and follow their lead.

Repubs need to get the fuck out of the way.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 7, 2021, 01:37 PM

12. We do not have absolute power. We get what we can and get out...try to expand our majority moving

forward. I am absolutely against the 3000.00 as it will be seen as a 'gimme' and cost us elections. I would add fixing the ACA, infrastructure and social security and Medicare which is gravely endangered need to be our next moves.

Reply to this post

Response to Demsrule86 (Reply #12)

Sun Feb 7, 2021, 01:41 PM

14. We need to pass something that helps young people too.

SS and Medicare definitely need attention but there needs to be something done for young adults. Raising the minimum wage would be one thing. Maybe cancelling some student debt or getting rid of interest on that debt. Maybe free community college. Just throwing some ideas out there, I know we wonít get all that we want.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 7, 2021, 01:23 PM

8. I can understand a one time, or even monthly allotment over the period of

three or four months. But if you make it sound like this is going to be a permanent thing, it is going to be an incentive for people to just have babies for the monetary guarantee. And this wouldn't be so bad, except that we have been here before. Democrats will lose elections over this, if it remains a long term social gimme.

Reply to this post

Response to Baitball Blogger (Reply #8)

Sun Feb 7, 2021, 01:43 PM

15. People don't have babies to get govt. assistance.

Thatís a right wing trope thatís been falsely thrown about since the 60s. Iím sure thereís a case here and there but itís not some huge problem and wouldnít be if a payment of $300 a month was implemented.

Reply to this post

Response to Turin_C3PO (Reply #15)

Sun Feb 7, 2021, 01:56 PM

17. You say that like we haven't been here before.

I remember one of the videos that made the rounds. It was a single mom with two or three children who was on welfare. She felt she was doing her part for society by bringing children into the world and raising them to be good citizens.

I don't argue that she was a good mom. I am saying that it is easy to win over votes in this country, when people feel like the system is being gamed. They don't have to be doing it in actuality. It's just the perception that will help the Republicans win over the swing voters.

Reply to this post

Response to Baitball Blogger (Reply #17)

Sun Feb 7, 2021, 01:58 PM

18. Well,

I doubt this will pass anyway so thereís probably nothing to worry about.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 7, 2021, 08:55 PM

25. You do realize that most 1st world countries

Have a child benefit. We received one monthly for our 2 daughters when we lived in England.

Reply to this post

Response to KatyMan (Reply #25)

Sun Feb 7, 2021, 09:10 PM

29. Don't doubt it for a minute.

I'm just thinking that we need to get over the two year hump with Biden. Usually, at the two year point we lose Senate and House seats. We need to make gradual changes, and this one is one that we've already lost in the past.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 7, 2021, 08:58 PM

27. Just like the welfare queen with the Cadillac.

I think you may be on the wrong board.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 7, 2021, 01:38 PM

13. With nearly 8 billion on this planet...

how about paying Americans NOT to have children?

One of the biggest reasons in the past for having large families was more security in your older age. More children meant more of them to take care of you.

For those who do not have children, make sure they are taken care of in their older age.

By not having children, your savings are going to be a lot larger than $250 a month.

Reply to this post

Response to roamer65 (Reply #13)

Sun Feb 7, 2021, 04:03 PM

20. I'm not as strong a believer of this as you obviously are, however...

I could see capping that kind of payment at 2-3 kids maximum.

It's a pipe dream anyway, although I think we're gonna need some kind of UBI within the next 10 years or so or our spiral into 3rd world status as a nation will continue.

Reply to this post

Response to Wounded Bear (Reply #20)

Sun Feb 7, 2021, 06:18 PM

21. If the dollar is worth anything, yes.

I think we will see quite a devaluation over the next 10 years. Just like Rome, Spain and Britain. Empires and their currencies rise and fall.

Reply to this post

Response to roamer65 (Reply #13)

Sun Feb 7, 2021, 08:42 PM

24. People with kids already gets stacks of tax and other benefits.

The fastest growing household demographic is single people with no kids. And they get cut absolutely no breaks despite the fact that it is a lot harder to afford housing and medical care on only one income and they are more vulnerable to job losses because they don't have a second household income to cushion the blow. And they will have greater medical costs down the road because they don't have a partner to provide some of the living assistance when they are ill gratis.

I'm going to be pissed if this passes at the expense of student loan forgiveness. Give one break to single people who are doing the right thing for the environment by not contributing to overpopulation. What about all the people who couldn't afford to have kids in the first place because they started off their careers with six figure student loan debt?

Reply to this post

Response to meadowlander (Reply #24)

Sun Feb 7, 2021, 09:01 PM

28. Why does it have to be one or the other.

Judgemental much????

Reply to this post

Response to KatyMan (Reply #28)

Sun Feb 7, 2021, 10:02 PM

30. It doesn't.

I said one shouldn't come up the expense of the other. But I suspect strongly that that's where this is headed. More money thrown at families with kids and then "whoops, nothing left and we need to manage debt again".

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 7, 2021, 06:46 PM

22. This would really help families who lost jobs

Have no daycare, etc.

Reply to this post

Response to marlakay (Reply #22)

Sun Feb 7, 2021, 10:04 PM

31. This. Even with jobs for families sliding fast into poverty. A tax credit

received each month instead of in one sum over a year later will be a lifesaver for many. It's also much cheaper, and possible, to stop the slide with a safety net than to return to sustainable living after losing everything. Then there are the children...

This is a smart thing.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 7, 2021, 08:57 PM

26. Wonderful!!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread