HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Panic Rooms, Birth Certif...

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 07:08 AM

Panic Rooms, Birth Certificates and the Birth of GOP Paranoia

This article by John Boehner gives some insight into the modern Republican party. Pretty interesting.

In the 2010 midterm election, voters from all over the place gave President Obama what he himself called “a shellacking.” And oh boy, was it ever. You could be a total moron and get elected just by having an R next to your name—and that year, by the way, we did pick up a fair number in that category.

Retaking control of the House of Representatives put me in line to be the next Speaker of the House over the largest freshman Republican class in history: 87 newly elected members of the GOP. Since I was presiding over a large group of people who’d never sat in Congress, I felt I owed them a little tutorial on governing. I had to explain how to actually get things done. A lot of that went straight through the ears of most of them, especially the ones who didn’t have brains that got in the way. Incrementalism? Compromise? That wasn’t their thing. A lot of them wanted to blow up Washington. That’s why they thought they were elected.

Some of them, well, you could tell they weren’t paying attention because they were just thinking of how to fundraise off of outrage or how they could get on Hannity that night. Ronald Reagan used to say something to the effect that if I get 80 or 90 percent of what I want, that’s a win. These guys wanted 100 percent every time. In fact, I don’t think that would satisfy them, because they didn’t really want legislative victories. They wanted wedge issues and conspiracies and crusades.

A lot of them wanted to blow up Washington. That’s why they thought they were elected.

To them, my talk of trying to get anything done made me a sellout, a dupe of the Democrats, and a traitor. Some of them had me in their sights from day one. They saw me as much of an “enemy” as the guy in the White House. Me, a guy who had come to the top of the leadership by exposing corruption and pushing conservative ideas. Now I was a “liberal collaborator.” So that took some getting used to. What I also had not anticipated was the extent to which this new crowd hated—and I mean hated—Barack Obama.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/04/02/john-boehner-book-memoir-excerpt-478506

32 replies, 3371 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 32 replies Author Time Post
Reply Panic Rooms, Birth Certificates and the Birth of GOP Paranoia (Original post)
Arkansas Granny Apr 2 OP
hatrack Apr 2 #1
Arkansas Granny Apr 2 #2
Skittles Apr 2 #30
struggle4progress Apr 2 #3
JHB Apr 2 #4
LineLineLineReply +
struggle4progress Apr 2 #5
hatrack Apr 2 #6
Escurumbele Apr 2 #8
ewagner Apr 2 #15
HUAJIAO Apr 2 #23
mountain grammy Apr 2 #10
Arkansas Granny Apr 2 #13
Politicub Apr 2 #19
Escurumbele Apr 2 #7
PatSeg Apr 2 #9
chia Apr 2 #22
PatSeg Apr 2 #24
Hortensis Apr 2 #27
PatSeg Apr 2 #28
Hortensis Apr 2 #29
PatSeg Apr 2 #31
mountain grammy Apr 2 #11
Arkansas Granny Apr 2 #14
ancianita Apr 2 #12
Ford_Prefect Apr 2 #18
ancianita Apr 2 #20
Ford_Prefect Apr 2 #25
ancianita Apr 2 #26
Ford_Prefect Apr 2 #16
Politicub Apr 2 #17
ancianita Apr 2 #21
d_r Apr 3 #32

Response to Arkansas Granny (Original post)

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 07:19 AM

1. Never thought I'd say this re. Boehner, but this is brilliant!

He has zero fucks left.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to hatrack (Reply #1)

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 07:27 AM

2. I know. I'm considering buying the book when it comes out.

Reply to this post

Response to hatrack (Reply #1)

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 07:32 PM

30. I was just thinking to myself, I just may read this book

yes indeed

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 07:36 AM

3. "We recruited crazier and crazier folk for fifty years and suddenly one day

the party was packed with lunatics. How could that have happened? I mean, no one could have predicted it. Of course, I think it's partly Obama's fault, because, y'know, I just have to say that, since otherwise the body-snatching shape-shifting alien lizard people might beam out all my bones and then shrink the rest of me down to a leather pencil. But I'm shocked, I tell you, just shocked!"

Reply to this post

Response to struggle4progress (Reply #3)

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 07:46 AM

4. From 2005:

https://driftglass.blogspot.com/2005/04/little-red-state-fundy-sez.html
Little Red State Fundy sez...

Whatever will we tell the children?

One day we will have to explain to the children what happened when Thurston Howell III lost his right mind and decided that for the sake of some tax cuts to make him incrementally more comfortable, his very bestest buddies in the whole, wide world were the Ultra Right Wing Gorgons down in Jesusland.

May I suggest the following?

The Story of Little Red State Fundy

Little Red State Fundy found a grain of hate.

"Who will help me plant the hate?" she asked.

"Not I," said the Moderate Republicans.

"Not I," said the Undecideds.

"Not I," said the Libertarians.

"Then I will," said Little Red State Fundy.

So she buried the hate in the bloody ground of the Old Confederacy. After a while it grew up paranoid and ignorant and violent.

"The hate is ripe now," said Little Red State Fundy. "Who will do the mass mailings and preach bigotry from the Pulpit?"

So she licked envelopes until her bill was cracked and dry and stood up into the House of God and crowed to her flocks in their millions that God Loved Them for hating and killing creatures who were not like them.

Then she asked, "Who will help me focus this hatred politically?"

So she made databases and phone banks, and walked door-to-door with petitions that talked of Gods Great Hatred of Gays, and Gods Great Hatred of Judges that did not worship the Hate God in exactly the way the Little Red State Fundy told them to.

Then she carried the hate to steps of the Congress and the White House.

"Who will make a mandate from this hate?" she asked.

So she got on the phone with her very good friend Karl Rove and with his help organized carpools to the polls, and get-out-the-vote drives, anti-gay marriage amendments and smear campaigns. For Jesus.

And Little Red State Fundy delivered the margin of victory and was featured in many, many magazines: without Little Red State Fundy, the Republican Party could never, ever, ever win anything.

And now everybody knew it.

Then she said, "Now who shall help me Rule the Earth."

"We will!" said Moderate Republicans, Undecideds, and Libertarians.

"I am quite sure you would," said Little Red State Fundy, "but see, now you are all my bitches."

Then she called Randall Terry and Tom DeLay and Ann Coulter and Jerry Falwell and Rush Limbaugh and James Dobson, and they and the rest of the Shining Path Republicans used what was left of the Constitution as ass-floss.
And judges were terrorized into silence.
And those deemed ungodly were beaten in the streets.
And they invaded whoever the fuck they felt like, for whatever fucking reason they chose.
And the very idea of a Free and Fair press died.

And to people who had been very clear all along that they genuinely believed in a Theocratic Nanny State and thought that precipitating Armageddon and triggering the Second Coming should be the highest calling of any worldly government, were handed over the police, courts, government, treasury and nuclear weapons stockpiles of the United States of America.

And in the end -- just as they had been warned for the past twenty years -- there was nothing whatsoever left at all for Moderate Republicans, Undecideds, and Libertarians.
Posted 24th April 2005 by driftglass

Reply to this post

Response to JHB (Reply #4)

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 07:53 AM

5. +

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 07:56 AM

6. This. Precisely This.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 08:24 AM

8. Many brilliant people have been warning us for a long time, Sinclair Lewis was one of them

He saw the coming of the buffoon many years ahead (1935) when he wrote "It Can't Happen Here", but we have to accept an awful fact, USA is a country of ignorant people, they don't like to read, they only listen to information that supports their biased ideologies, and there is a genuine hate that is passed through generations.

The system has done its job, "Monday Night Football" and a few "six-packs", laughing at jokes that promote ignorance like "who needs to learn another language", convinced of an exceptionalism that does not exist, but that is what we are fed by our "leaders" and it is easy to accept because if we are exceptional that means we live in a perfect society, we don't have to do anything.

How many of you work for good size companies and all you hear is people discuss last night's football game? they are all coaches, and that is all they talk about, I am not promoting political discussions at work (never works), but how about discussing the latest books, the art exhibition you last saw, the scientific discoveries you have learned about, what other countries are doing to help its citizens live better lives, etc...so much to talk about but all you hear is the cubicle coaches talk about football, or any other sport.

USA citizens are taught to accept, to follow. It is easy to see how in a two-lane street you have one lane completely open while the next one has a line of cars waiting for the light to turn green. Check it out, it happens every day.

Until we get a government that makes education, the arts, reading, culture, its main priorities we will continue to foment ignorance, we will continue to elect crooks. It is a vicious cycle.

How is it possible that voters elect people like Matt Gaetz, Lauren Boebert, Marjorie Taylor Greene, Ted Cruz, Lindsey Graham, Marco Rubio, and so on? Anyone with some culture (I don't say intelligence because there is a difference between ignorance and intelligence, you can be intelligent but highly ignorant) would never vote for crooks like them.

Anyway, we need to make our kids read, we need to sit at the dinner table and discuss current issues, open their eyes to what is going on around us so that when they are ready to vote they can make the right decisions.

To those women who are pregnant today, read to your baby while in the belly, then when they are born, read to them every night, make reading an integral part of their lives. We did that to all our kids, and they are all readers. I read the entire "American Girls" collection to my daughters, and many other books, then they got to an age where they did the reading themselves, and they still do, same with our boys, they all have to read every day, it has become part of their DNA.

Reply to this post

Response to Escurumbele (Reply #8)

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 09:06 AM

15. +++++++

It Can't Happen Here" should be required reading before being allowed to graduate from High School.

Reply to this post

Response to Escurumbele (Reply #8)

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 09:42 AM

23. "Until we get a government......"

Until we get a government that makes education, the arts, reading, culture, its main priorities we will continue to foment ignorance, we will continue to elect crooks. It is a vicious cycle.

On the money.... like much of Europe and East Asia....

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 08:50 AM

10. Perfect!

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 09:01 AM

13. This nails it.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 09:28 AM

19. This. This is the real story.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 07:56 AM

7. Well, this paragraph is bullshit

"My longtime friend Roger Ailes, the head of Fox News, was not immune to this. He got swept into the conspiracies and the paranoia and became an almost unrecognizable figure."

Roger Ailes was the CEO of Fox News with that exact intent in mind, he and Murdoch knew exactly what they were doing. As I recall from reading the history of Ailes and Fox News, he gave the idea to Richard Nixon, he told him that people could be manipulated through TV, and he knew that lying on TV would not be held by anyone against them.

No, Ailes did not get swept by it, he and Murdoch were the double head of the snake, and he knew damn well what he was doing. The guy was a creep all around. He will be reunited with Weinstein when he dies and must be exchanging notes with Epstein in hell.

Reply to this post

Response to Escurumbele (Reply #7)

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 08:47 AM

9. Well, Roger Ailes was always a rotten

human being who would do anything to succeed, but I believe Boehner is referring to Ailes getting caught up in all the conspiracy theories, not just for ratings, but actually starting to believe them. I just finished the book, The Loudest Voice in the Room and Ailes did get progressively more extreme and very paranoid. Apparently he started to believe his own bullshit. The progressive transformation was similar to what you often see with dictators over time - with more power comes more fear and loathing.

I'm sure in the early years, he could have been taken for a very aggressive, results-oriented businessman, but his eventual success transformed him into a truly ugly human being or perhaps just revealed who he really was all along.

Reply to this post

Response to PatSeg (Reply #9)

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 09:38 AM

22. I think so, here's the following paragraph after the excerpt:

I’d known Ailes for a long time, since his work with George H.W. Bush in the early 1990s. He’d gone to college in Ohio, and since we had that connection, he sought me out at some event and introduced himself. Years later, in August of 1996, when I was in San Diego for the Republican National Convention, I ended up having dinner with Ailes and a veteran broadcasting executive named Rupert Murdoch. At that dinner they told me all about this new TV network they were starting. I had no idea I was listening to the outline of something that would make my life a living hell down the line. Sure enough, that October, Fox News hit the airwaves.

Reply to this post

Response to chia (Reply #22)

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 09:57 AM

24. Yes, initially he pushed right-wing extremism

for the ratings, but eventually he bought his own BS and in the end he was almost Howard Hughes style paranoid. A younger Roger Ailes was pretty much a classic asshole, but the older Ailes was a CRAZY asshole. In other words, he was such a good salesman, he even sold himself, a major downside of being a con artist.

Reply to this post

Response to PatSeg (Reply #24)

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 01:10 PM

27. I read most of that book. Even with that author's objective

recounting, as Ailes and Fox progressed, I increasingly felt repelled, to the point that distaste with him increased until I finally didn't pick it up again. It's still around somewhere.

Apparently even intelligent, aware people can get sucked down radicalizing rabbit holes of their own cynical creation, not realizing how vulnerable their own human psyche can be. Learning about that last with what's happening to so many is scary.

Reply to this post

Response to Hortensis (Reply #27)

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 04:17 PM

28. Actually, it took me a long time to finish it

I put it aside several times. It was interesting and well written, but damn that was one depressing person. I suppose there is some kind of perverse justice in doing to yourself what you are trying to do to others. Still, I can hardly take any satisfaction in that, as he caused so much damage to so many people and the effects persist long after he is gone.

Reply to this post

Response to PatSeg (Reply #28)

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 06:10 PM

29. Enormous damage to so many, that as you say will live on.

So scary being so close to the abyss, but it looks like a pro-democracy reaction is building as more people are starting, barely, almost, to realize what's happening. Even here. This, while the Republicans are doing everything they can right now pending advancing tanks on DC.

Reply to this post

Response to Hortensis (Reply #29)

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 07:54 PM

31. People do seem to be waking up

Hopefully it will last. People tend to have such a short attention span. You can see how democracies fall. People become apathetic and indifferent so easily.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 08:56 AM

11. I'm sure there's plenty of bullshit involved.

After all, it was written by a republican.. a so called moderate republican who handed out checks from big tobacco whenever smoking regulations appeared in Congress.

Democrats went to sleep in 2010 and white supremacy thrived after Obama's election. We were way too quiet while the white, oops right, wing went bonkers.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 09:04 AM

14. I'm sure that a lot of it is bullshit. That being said, it might provide some insight as to how the

crazies took over the Republican party.

I live in deep red country, but it hasn't always been this way. Until just a few hears ago, Arkansas was a Democratic state. We had a Democratic Governor, both Senators and 3 out of 4 Representatives were Democrats. It really started going downhill with the election of GWB and has picked up speed from there.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 08:58 AM

12. Thing is, for those of us who grew up in the South, the GOP was always this. Always.

We saw no change.

What we saw in 2010 was that the Tea Party was just a warmup, and that the KKK wing of the party had taken over. We knew their lingo, dog whistles, etc. And yet, all Boehner could see was that they were morons who hated Obama.

Something Boehner couldn't see was that to have always been the party harboring racists in large numbers, and to spend generations denying it, has been the rot at the heart of KKKOP austerity politics and the entire party itself. Partly because it was all justified to leadership levels by the academese of economists like James M. Buchanan and the Charles Koch think tank networks.

The KKKOP knew all along that their economics would slow roll out impoverishment, sickness and death on the non-white population, and convinced their white party voters that whatever sacrifices they had to make were worth the price. The politics of spite, tear-down and NO.

Now that they've seen how weak this country looks and is, they're desperate to blame someone else.

This is why we've always been the party of adults.
Our politics has always seen the long term effects of -- not identity politics -- morality politics.

Reply to this post

Response to ancianita (Reply #12)

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 09:26 AM

18. Well said as long as we leave out the legacy of Neo-Liberalism.

Our politics has always seen the long term effects of -- not identity politics -- morality politics.

Reply to this post

Response to Ford_Prefect (Reply #18)

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 09:35 AM

20. We didn't produce "neoliberalism." The right did.

Last edited Fri Apr 2, 2021, 12:53 PM - Edit history (1)

We were caught up in it, no thanks to Clinton who tried to prove that he was as tough on crime and welfare as the Republicans. He forgot where they were really coming from in those days, and so we've been dragged as a party into that claim through his confusion about southern politics and the economics of the South they'd used to cover up their racism.

So to be clear, this party dipped its toe into neoliberalism for a minute.

Even with Obama, KKKOP strategists tried desperately to hang him and Democrats with that "both sides" label, but Sanders and the progressive wing had always been there to represent the future party.

Now look at President Biden. We've officially stepped out of the clutches neoliberalism.

Reply to this post

Response to ancianita (Reply #20)

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 10:24 AM

25. I don't feel 30 years qualifies as so short a time as dipping a toe suggests.

I can see that we appear to have moved beyond it now. Time will tell on that. Big money interests have a way of working their will on both parties.

It is not my intent to compare the wholesale racism embodied by the post-1948 GOP to the near-term effects of Neo-Liberal Democrats on social justice and federal spending.

Reply to this post

Response to Ford_Prefect (Reply #25)

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 12:41 PM

26. I hear you.

However what's happened during those 30 years shows the clear lines of neoliberal ownership, and that we were never all in.

Reagan Democrats and the white South led to the final collapse of the New Deal coalition when Reagan's small government/austerity agenda carried 49 states against Mondale in 1984.

Even though the Democratic Leadership Council (DLC) tried to move the party rightward, MA's Dukakis still lost in a 1988 landslide to HGW Bush. GOTV was on the Republican side.

Only in the 90's did the Democratic Party revived itself with Clinton, by moving to the right on economic policy.
But he still managed to sign a ban on some kinds of semi-automatic firearms.
His Family and Medical Leave Act, covered near 40 million Americans, offered workers up to 12 weeks of unpaid, job-guaranteed leave for childbirth or a personal or family illness.
So the left's socialism still existed in the party.
Republican neoliberals' tort reform Private Securities Litigation Reform Act did get passed over Clinton's veto. Then with union memberships sliding after Reagan's previous firing of the whole air traffickers union, Clinton signed NAFTA over big union objections. He got impeached for a blow job, won a galvanized GOTV for his second term, continued Jimmy Carter's move toward deregulation, balanced budgets and supply-side free market stuff.

When Gore lost to FL brooks brothers machinations, Kavanaugh among the lawyer mob, the losses by electoral college votes due to jiggering vote counting became Repubs' new goal, while character assassination and racist dog whistle dirty tricks became their political norm, not just a campaign norm.
2003, the four most populous states had Republican governors: California, Texas, New York and Florida, and Democratic leadership and we voters suffered under Repubs always busy attacking liberalism in Congress and media.

When Howard Dean ran his 50-state strategy to regain populist politics, and Harry Reid got Democratic Senators to vote as a bloc against the Repubs' attempt to privatize Social Security, the left returned in 2008 to beat off Repub voters and gain both houses. Neoliberal-driven corruption was Howard Dean's winning issue for many voters. He was a great liberal of the party. When Nancy Pelosi got elected as the first female House speaker, she immediately pushed for passage of the 100-Hour Plan of eight new liberal programs.
Liberal momentum against neoliberalism.

Obama wasn't all in, either, renewing Saturday equivalents of FDR's fireside radio chats.
His first 100 days: Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, CHIPS, American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, reversed Bush's policies by supporting the UN declaration on sexual orientation and gender identity, relaxed enforcement of cannabis laws, lifted the 7½-year ban on federal funding for embryonic stem cell research.

Left wing cultural momentum. And Biden was there after having written the first climate change bill and the first signed Violence Against Women Act.

By sayin' that "a minute" or "toe dipping" in neoliberalism, I mean that neoliberalism was never even co-owned by Democrats and was never at the heart of Democratic Party politics. We fought off the worst of neoliberalism with a go-along-to-get-along politics until we could convince Americans -- which Bernie Sanders did -- that neoliberalism wasn't working for America. Then last year he joined up with Joe Biden and the Transition Team.

So no. No one of either party can hang the neoliberalism taint on Democrats. Overall, we're not perfect, but Democratic voters always had the moral compass when Dem leaders led from behind. And as you know, there weren't that many Democratic leaders over that 30 years. More proof that we won for our resistance to neoliberalism.

Trumpcult has lost all the arguments and become a do-nothing person-as-platform party, and we Democrats now stand victorious against neoliberalism.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 09:21 AM

16. Bonheur is remarkably silent on the effect of people like the Koch Brothers & Mercers or the CNP.

Not to mention Dick Armey and the others who founded and engineered the Tea Party movement. He seems to believe that there was nothing headed this way before 2011. I guess he forgot about Karl Rove, the Neo-Cons and Dick Cheney, or the Newt Gingrich and Grover Norquist led revolt embodied in the Contract on America.

On the whole he does a fair job making the Dark Money crowd invisible. He never mentions the front groups like CNP or the many RW think tanks. He says nothing at all about the effect of RW evangelical-based organizations, or their prominent and outspoken front men, or their close working relationship with RW big money, industrial lobbies, and racist nationalists...And what about the NRA?

While he does a good job describing how he got turfed out by the RW extremist Putsch he seems remarkably and conveniently naïve about the real power behind it. To me that has the smell of covering his tracks, if not a dose of selective rose colored glasses. As far as I know Bonheur had no trouble voting for many of the things which his party put forward even as it consumed him. He certainly advocated for much of the same in his time as leader.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 09:24 AM

17. Boehner was awful. This folksy article is sour grapes about how he

was upstaged by people more extremist than him.

He isn’t contrite about the role he played. Instead, he feels sorry for himself about stating the obvious about Obama’s birth certificate (that he was born in Hawaii). He never expressed interest in working with the Obama administration, even though he says he did.

The bits about the depth of Roger Ailes’ belief in fringe conspiracy theories were interesting. It helps explain the editorial choices he made at Fox News. Murdoch was interested most in ratings, so he saw no reason to rein in Ailes.

One thing about the across-the-board obstruction that worked in the democratic party’s favor was that the republicans were never going to go along with Obama’s “grand bargain.” I never liked the social security concessions that Obama was willing to make as a show of bipartisanship. The sequester was bad, but the grand bargain was worse.

Before the ACA passed, he signed onto Sarah Palin’s death-panels lie along with Mitch McConnell. He was a problem before the shellacking placed him in the role of majority leader.

Reply to this post

Response to Politicub (Reply #17)

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 09:37 AM

21. Yep, I buy your entire argument. He's not got the moral clarity or smarts, either, to see this about

himself and all that he did.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 3, 2021, 10:43 PM

32. I shook the devil's hand but

I was only kidding

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread