HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Would Rubio really help R...

Wed Jan 11, 2012, 11:13 AM

Would Rubio really help Romney attract Hispanic (i.e. Cuban) voters?

I've seen a lot of discussion about whether or not Romney might ultimately choose somebody like Rubio for VP in a bid to attract Hispanic (i.e. Cuban) voters, particularly in Florida but I'm wondering how effective it might end up being. I concede that that might ploy might certainly help in Florida with the Cuban voters though these voters have traditionally swung towards Republicans so, in a tight squeeze, that might help Romney over the top However, it is equally likely IMHO that it might just wind up being as misguided of a strategy as putting Sarah Palin on the ticket in 2008 to attempt to attract women voters. Rubio is certainly no Sarah Palin in terms of intelligence and/or knowledge and voters in Florida did send him to the Senate in 2010 but will the "excitement" of seeing a Hispanic nominated as VP overshadow the actual policies of the Republican Party in regards to the Hispanic community, as well the racist tendencies of much of the Republican base? Will the Republican base respond favorably to Rubio? Will the birthers go crazy over the recently disclosed fact that his parents weren't actually citizens when he was born?

Thoughts? Opinions? I could definitely see Romney and the GOP establishment trying this but I'm not sure it will work for them like they think it will.

6 replies, 1454 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Would Rubio really help Romney attract Hispanic (i.e. Cuban) voters? (Original post)
Proud Liberal Dem Jan 2012 OP
Common Sense Party Jan 2012 #1
rurallib Jan 2012 #4
Bluenorthwest Jan 2012 #2
pampango Jan 2012 #3
Proud Liberal Dem Jan 2012 #6
da_decider Jan 2012 #5

Response to Proud Liberal Dem (Original post)

Wed Jan 11, 2012, 11:33 AM

1. Cubans, perhaps, but not most Hispanics.

Most Hispanics I've met don't "connect" with Cubans, for some reason.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Common Sense Party (Reply #1)

Wed Jan 11, 2012, 12:32 PM

4. That's the story I get also.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 11, 2012, 11:35 AM

2. The FL Cuban community is already GOP to a great degree. Nothing to win.

Most 'Hispanic' Americans are Democrats. Strong Democrats.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 11, 2012, 12:05 PM

3. Romney has to cater to the far right (teabaggers) and make a gesture to Hispanics in picking a VP.

Rubio is one of the few who accomplish both of these.

Reply to this post

Response to pampango (Reply #3)

Wed Jan 11, 2012, 01:16 PM

6. Yeah

that might help him with them- though some of the GOP base might revolt at the idea of a Hispanic on their ticket too. But what I'm asking is whether or not it will help him in other places as well or would Florida Cubans (whom mostly vote for the GOP anyway) be the extent of the "bump" he might get with him on the ticket?

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 11, 2012, 12:56 PM

5. Rubio

This pretty boy is shielded by GOP like a delicate flower. Teabags call him GOP rising star...bull-crap. He is going to be a bigger disappointment than Bobby Jindal.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread