HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Cops have to recalibrate ...

Sun Apr 18, 2021, 08:32 AM

Cops have to recalibrate their response

Like some other posters here, I've had trouble with the video of the cop shooting and killing the 13-year-old who threw down his gun. I have trouble seeing that the gun was dropped, and I could understand the cop's motive for shooting.

It occurred to me this morning that something important changed before the cop shot. The cop had been yelling at the kid to stop, and the kid kept running. Then suddenly the kid stopped--the kid complied with that order from the cop. Regardless of whether he'd dropped the gun, when the kid stopped running, the cop should have recalibrated his response.

"Drop the gun." "I did drop it." NO SHOOTING

"Hands on your head and face the wall." NO SHOOTING'

"Lie face down." NO SHOOTING

I'm an old lady with no police training. A cop should have know to move the situation toward a less aggressive, calmer exchange, and he didn't.

This failure of cops to tone down rather than ramp up aggression and rage seems to be a common thread in these killings.

18 replies, 790 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 18 replies Author Time Post
Reply Cops have to recalibrate their response (Original post)
cyclonefence Apr 2021 OP
EX500rider Apr 2021 #1
EX500rider Apr 2021 #2
abqtommy Apr 2021 #3
StarfishSaver Apr 2021 #6
rgbecker Apr 2021 #9
uponit7771 Apr 2021 #10
StarfishSaver Apr 2021 #4
WhiskeyGrinder Apr 2021 #5
Elessar Zappa Apr 2021 #11
WhiskeyGrinder Apr 2021 #12
Elessar Zappa Apr 2021 #13
WhiskeyGrinder Apr 2021 #14
Elessar Zappa Apr 2021 #15
Claire Oh Nette Apr 2021 #18
Voltaire2 Apr 2021 #16
rgbecker Apr 2021 #7
Voltaire2 Apr 2021 #17
uponit7771 Apr 2021 #8

Response to cyclonefence (Original post)

Sun Apr 18, 2021, 08:43 AM

1. Well they successfully arrest around a million people a month

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Apr 18, 2021, 08:52 AM

3. I was 13 years old in 1962. If I'd been running around in the dark with a gun I would

have expected to be shot. I never chose that as a behavior pattern. There are a lot of things that need changing so let's change them. All.

Reply to this post

Response to abqtommy (Reply #3)

Sun Apr 18, 2021, 09:03 AM

6. Yes. Any child running around with a gun at night should expect to be shot

Or maybe not ...

Reply to this post

Response to StarfishSaver (Reply #6)

Sun Apr 18, 2021, 09:07 AM

9. Oh dear! You're getting very close to a nerve.

Keep it up and some people are going to start waking up to what's going on.

Reply to this post

Response to abqtommy (Reply #3)

Sun Apr 18, 2021, 09:07 AM

10. Not if you're white and you have an AR-15, come on America let's get past this

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 18, 2021, 08:55 AM

4. Exactly!

When the cop told him to stop and put up his hands and he did, he had an affirmative obligation to reassess the situation.

Claiming the cop shot him because he was in fear of his life because the kid had a gun before he put his hands up is BS. If he thought putting his hands up was a threatening act, the cop should never have told the child to do that.

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 18, 2021, 09:00 AM

5. The system cannot be reformed. It's working as designed.

Reply to this post

Response to WhiskeyGrinder (Reply #5)

Sun Apr 18, 2021, 09:17 AM

11. So we should just give up and let things continue as is?

Itís not all or nothing. Since cop abolition is a total non-starter, we have to do what we can to make the system better.

Reply to this post

Response to Elessar Zappa (Reply #11)

Sun Apr 18, 2021, 09:26 AM

12. No, I'd say abolish it all. Reform is what got us to this place. Reform is what got us George Floyd

and Daunte Wright and Adam Toledo.

Here's what the Chicago Police Department has to say about its latest efforts of reform:

The consent decree builds upon a series of proactive reforms introduced in 2017, and serves as our roadmap to build and restore trust with our communities; strengthen our commitments to supervision, accountability and transparency; and provide the best training, equipment and resources our officers need and deserve.

The input from our community partners, and our officers, is vitally important in helping shape, reform and implement policies that will make CPD a better Department for officers and the communities we serve.
We are already seeing real change throughout our Department as a result of the reforms we have implemented.

Annual in-service training, has increased to 32 mandatory hours for each of our 13,400 officers. Weíve tripled the number of clinicians providing mental health support for our officers.

We have a clear written agreement with Chicago public schools on the roles of officers in schools.

We also overhauled our organizational structure to prioritize consent decree compliance under the newly created Office of Constitutional Policing and Reform.

So even with more training, community outreach and partnering and psychological support for cops, Adam Toledo is dead. And calls for reform will lead to more money for the CPD and very little change.

Reply to this post

Response to WhiskeyGrinder (Reply #12)

Sun Apr 18, 2021, 09:31 AM

13. Abolition will never happen, at least not in our lifetimes.

Probably 95% of the country would be against it. Iíd prefer to try something that actually has a chance of happening. Itís like the people on the far left who didnít vote for Clinton in 2016 because their personal wishlist wasnít fulfilled. The perfect canít be the enemy of the good.

Reply to this post

Response to Elessar Zappa (Reply #13)

Sun Apr 18, 2021, 09:35 AM

14. Maybe. I'll keep working and advocating for it, regardless.

Reply to this post

Response to WhiskeyGrinder (Reply #14)

Sun Apr 18, 2021, 09:36 AM

15. And that's fine.

We should all stand behind our beliefs but sometimes compromise is necessary, IMO.

Reply to this post

Response to WhiskeyGrinder (Reply #12)

Sun Apr 18, 2021, 11:57 AM

18. 32 hours of inservice training

Big fucking deal. 4 days of training. On what? how to use your taser and how to safely apply lethal force?

As a teacher, we had more than 32 hours of in service, and we don't carry guns.

They should have 32 hours of in service just on de escalation techniques alone....

Reply to this post

Response to WhiskeyGrinder (Reply #5)

Sun Apr 18, 2021, 10:12 AM

16. this is the part people still didn't understand

and by people I mean primarily white suburb dwellers under the delusion that the police forces deployed in our cities are there to 'serve and protect' and are just getting that wrong.

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 18, 2021, 09:03 AM

7. Either the cop was not thinking very far ahead or he intended to use his gun from the start.

Did he see the kid had a gun as he was running? What did cop think was going to be the out come when he caught the kid?
Did he think the kid was suddenly going to come to Jesus and stop, throw his gun down and raise his hands? Apparently not.

So what was the Cop trained to do and what did he do?

See video: Chase kid, yell obscenities, get within firing range, shoot if fearful that kid might shoot you first.

Time to re calibrate.

Reply to this post

Response to rgbecker (Reply #7)

Sun Apr 18, 2021, 10:14 AM

17. " shoot if fearful " - wrong

"shoot if opportunity presents itself". Claim 'fearful' as trained.

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 18, 2021, 09:06 AM

8. Someone's been asking that very question people don't like answering it straight up

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread