HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Dark money is killing us

Wed Jun 16, 2021, 11:26 AM

Dark money is killing us

Itís killing our planet. Itís killing our democracy. Itís death by a thousand cuts. Sheldon Whitehouse appeared on Joy Reidís show last evening and his his usual straightforward manner, clearly explained how dark money is a direct threat to us all. A clip of his segment is below:

[link:https://www.msnbc.com/the-reidout/watch/conservative-groups-waging-war-on-progressive-policies-slammed-by-sen-sheldon-whitehouse-114862149549|

4 replies, 563 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Dark money is killing us (Original post)
dlk Jun 2021 OP
LaMouffette Jun 2021 #1
dlk Jun 2021 #2
RANDYWILDMAN Jun 2021 #3
dlk Jun 2021 #4

Response to dlk (Original post)

Wed Jun 16, 2021, 11:54 AM

1. Which is why I'm doubly pissed that our former Montana governor Steve Bullock

did not win his Senate race in 2020.

Bullock was/is very much opposed to dark money influences. To counter Citizen's United, he signed into law the Disclose Act, which requires "anonymous groups to report how theyíre spending money in state political races" (from this article:

https://www.mtpr.org/post/bullock-gianforte-react-campaign-finance-disclosure-ruling

As a US senator, he would've been a very strong voice in opposition to Citizen's United. Instead, we're stuck with Steve Daines for our second senator (thank God for Senator Jon Tester!), and just as bad or worse, we've got Greg Gianforte for governor. Gianforte is particularly abhorrent because he fought mightily against Bullock's Disclose Act. Now that he's governor and we have a Republican-controlled state legislature, it would be no surprise to see our Disclose Act repealed.

But that's what's needed: for states to enact their own antiĖdark money laws. A piece of cake in Democrat-controlled state legislatures; not so easy in red states, but Montana shows that it can be done.

By the way, did you see this anti-corruption video posted by someone here on DU yesterday? It has the same message of rooting out corruption at state level first. I think everyone should watch it.

[link:&t=709s|

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to LaMouffette (Reply #1)

Wed Jun 16, 2021, 12:10 PM

2. I like Bullock and you're right, Gianforte is truly awful

Last edited Wed Jun 16, 2021, 01:56 PM - Edit history (1)

When we start looking, the pervasive influence of dark money is everywhere. Democrats must come up with a viable strategy before itís too late. We need an army to combat this cancer. The other side already has a huge head start. I liked the video. Given the average short attention span these days, I think something shorter might have more impact.

Reply to this post

Response to dlk (Original post)

Wed Jun 16, 2021, 12:15 PM

3. Money Free speech

Thanks John Roberts, we know what you did and so do you.

You legacy is a disaster...$$$$$ rules all

Reply to this post

Response to RANDYWILDMAN (Reply #3)

Wed Jun 16, 2021, 01:36 PM

4. Money isn't speech

It does, however, buy speech. The person with the most money buys the most speech, as we continue to see.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread