HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » A tantalizing clue to why...

Sun Dec 19, 2021, 11:29 PM

A tantalizing clue to why omicron is spreading so quickly

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2021/12/15/1064597592/a-tantalizing-clue-to-why-omicron-is-spreading-so-quickly
The omicron variant multiplies about 70 times faster inside human respiratory tract tissue than the delta variant does, scientists at the University of Hong Kong report. The variant also reaches higher levels in the tissue, compared with delta, 48 hours after infection.
Using "fake" or pseudoviruses, they found that omicron's spike protein — the region that binds to human cells, triggering infection — was much better at helping the virus enter human cells than the spike protein of delta or that of the original coronavirus.

"Strikingly, Omicron was 4-fold more infectious than wild type [the original version of the virus] and 2-fold more infectious than Delta," Garcia-Beltran and colleagues wrote in their study.

The data suggests omicron may be able to infect people at a lower dose than delta or the original variant, Garcia-Beltran says. "That's a very far-out interpretation," he cautions. "But we think it will probably pan out that way, given that we're looking at a variant with more efficient entry into human cells."

Mask up and be safe out there DUers. Maskholes will no doubt get it and spread it as much as they can. Not a good time to be around unvaccinated conservatives.

34 replies, 4436 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 34 replies Author Time Post
Reply A tantalizing clue to why omicron is spreading so quickly (Original post)
IronLionZion Dec 2021 OP
Deuxcents Dec 2021 #1
Septua Dec 2021 #15
berni_mccoy Dec 2021 #34
leighbythesea2 Dec 2021 #2
gab13by13 Dec 2021 #7
wnylib Dec 2021 #19
Mariana Dec 2021 #32
leighbythesea2 Dec 2021 #33
traitorsgalore Dec 2021 #3
crimycarny Dec 2021 #4
IronLionZion Dec 2021 #6
crimycarny Dec 2021 #8
Deuxcents Dec 2021 #18
gab13by13 Dec 2021 #10
IronLionZion Dec 2021 #14
leighbythesea2 Dec 2021 #12
IronLionZion Dec 2021 #16
leighbythesea2 Dec 2021 #20
IronLionZion Dec 2021 #22
leighbythesea2 Dec 2021 #25
crimycarny Dec 2021 #24
leighbythesea2 Dec 2021 #26
wnylib Dec 2021 #21
leighbythesea2 Dec 2021 #27
BobTheSubgenius Dec 2021 #5
BigmanPigman Dec 2021 #9
gab13by13 Dec 2021 #11
leighbythesea2 Dec 2021 #13
C Moon Dec 2021 #29
IronLionZion Dec 2021 #17
Deuxcents Dec 2021 #23
crimycarny Dec 2021 #28
SleeplessinSoCal Dec 2021 #30
IronLionZion Dec 2021 #31

Response to IronLionZion (Original post)

Sun Dec 19, 2021, 11:38 PM

1. Am I reading this right?

One in three of us.. just here in our country.. most likely will be infected? OMG .. Im just beginning to get out and see some friends n family.. haven’t been to my sister’s for a year n a half n have put up w/ remarks about my masking. Welp.. I’m used to it so.. the numbers in their predictions are unbelievable. Yes.. stay well my Friends

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Deuxcents (Reply #1)

Mon Dec 20, 2021, 12:51 AM

15. One in three...

Maybe some of the ones will be anti-vaxx. No sarcasm intended, they are partly to blame.

Reply to this post

Response to Deuxcents (Reply #1)

Mon Dec 20, 2021, 08:13 PM

34. That could mean up to 2 million deaths.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 19, 2021, 11:54 PM

2. Saw

This, yesterday maybe? And my brain just kinda shorted out. 70x more contagious. More load on the body.
I had covid in jan, 2020 and it was kinda a bad case. Am going back to limited errands, etc. Have been always masking. Time for a n95. Stay safe out there.

Reply to this post

Response to leighbythesea2 (Reply #2)

Mon Dec 20, 2021, 12:33 AM

7. Yes it is time for N-95's,

and that doesn't come from me, I heard a doctor say it on TV. He also said to try to get them made in USA, there are a lot of phony N-95's out there.

Reply to this post

Response to gab13by13 (Reply #7)

Mon Dec 20, 2021, 12:55 AM

19. Look for the NIOSH number

in the ads. If NIOSH approved, they are happy to brag about it. The number will be printed right on the mask, too. It begins with the letters TC followed by a dash and numbers.

Reply to this post

Response to leighbythesea2 (Reply #2)

Mon Dec 20, 2021, 09:36 AM

32. That's not what the story in the OP says.

It is not "70x more contagious".

"Strikingly, Omicron was 4-fold more infectious than wild type [the original version of the virus] and 2-fold more infectious than Delta," Garcia-Beltran and colleagues wrote in their study.

Reply to this post

Response to Mariana (Reply #32)

Mon Dec 20, 2021, 08:07 PM

33. I transposed

The 70 number with the other stat accidentally.

But 70x times anything Delta, was striking.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 20, 2021, 12:15 AM

4. But it spreads 10x SLOWER in the lungs

Spreads much faster in bronchi than Delta but 10x slower in lungs. So less chance of “cytokine Storm” of body’s immune system, also more time for body to catch up and kill virus in lungs.

So time will tell. With the omicron virus being SO much more contagious it’s still going to cause a lot of death, but largely in unvaccinated.

Can’t wait for Pfizer’s antiviral to be widely available. So those of us vaccinated that get breakthrough have another weapon against this d*mn virus. Also for those with weakened immune systems.

Call me cold and uncaring but I read that the first to get the limited supplies of antiviral will be high risk and UNVACCINATED. Screw that! High risk, yes. Unvaccinated, go to the back of the line.

Reply to this post

Response to crimycarny (Reply #4)

Mon Dec 20, 2021, 12:23 AM

6. our t-cells are a very good line of defense

Vaccinated folks should be able to defeat breakthrough infections relatively well, in about 3 days based on South African data. We'll find out about US data soon enough.

You're right, it's not going to go well for folks with weakened immune systems. Unvaccinated adults (by choice) can go to the farm store for ivermectin or whatever.

This is also not a good time for the US to be running low on monoclonal antibodies.

Reply to this post

Response to IronLionZion (Reply #6)

Mon Dec 20, 2021, 12:35 AM

8. That's what I'm seeing anecdotally

My 65-year old sister got a breakthrough of Delta about 2 months ago and was sick with flu like symptoms for about 7 days. She was doubled vax’d but not yet boosted (ironically her booster shot appointment was the day after she tested positive). I’ve known two people (50’s) who had breakthrough with what they suspect is Omicron (can’t say for sure yet), one had zero symptoms and the other had cold like symptoms for about 3 days. Obviously 3 people is not nearly enough to draw any conclusions though.

I told my three kids that my Xmas present was for them to get their boosters (20, 23, and 25 years old). They all have appointments for next week. Whoop whoop!!

Reply to this post

Response to crimycarny (Reply #8)

Mon Dec 20, 2021, 12:55 AM

18. A great gift 🎄

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 20, 2021, 12:43 AM

10. I thought that the monoclonal antibodies didn't work with Omicron?

It is still early to know everything about Omicron but I heard doctors say that it was imperative to get the booster shot which they felt was 70% effective, but they also said that the protection may only last 3 months.

Until we know more about Omicron I am masking with N-95's, not loitering grocery shopping or going into other stores. Using hand sanitizer again, social distancing, not talking to strangers for long periods of time. I'm 74 and healthy but this thing is too infectious to mess around with.

I have tickets for NCAA wrestling at Ford Field's indoor football stadium the middle of March in Detroit where the virus has exploded. I have my doubts I will be going. At least there are more people wearing masks in church, oh yeah, I live in Trump country.

I keep hand sanitizer in my car also.

Reply to this post

Response to gab13by13 (Reply #10)

Mon Dec 20, 2021, 12:50 AM

14. They were for earlier variants so not as effective with Omicron

we have a shortage of Monoclonal antibodies for Omicron and Delta.

Hand sanitizer won't help as much these days. It's all aerosol with lower viral loads required to infect. That's why it's spreading so fast.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 20, 2021, 12:45 AM

12. Guess what

My friend in medical field (front line, urgent care) told me? The parameters for who gets monoclonal first was restructured. (We are in west Michigan) . Unvaccinated are at the top now.
Our vaccinated friend just finishing cancer treatment, with break thru Covid, would not be at the top. And that's not hypothetical, he got Covid.

Can you believe this? (She doesn't know who decided this).
Wtaf.....

Reply to this post

Response to leighbythesea2 (Reply #12)

Mon Dec 20, 2021, 12:52 AM

16. I wouldn't want to be unvaccinated

that's risky business since the monoclonal antibodies they have are for earlier variants and less effective for Omicron. Delta has hospitalized more folks than forecasted so there is a tighter supply of Delta monoclonal antibodies

Reply to this post

Response to IronLionZion (Reply #16)

Mon Dec 20, 2021, 12:57 AM

20. No

It's gonna be hell.

But she was mad as a hornet, bc why prioritize the antivaxxers, even a month ago w Delta.

Reply to this post

Response to leighbythesea2 (Reply #20)

Mon Dec 20, 2021, 01:00 AM

22. They can stay home and self medicate with as much ivermectin HCQ or whatever they want

instead of taking the hospital's meds that they don't know what's in it so they can't trust it.

Reply to this post

Response to IronLionZion (Reply #22)

Mon Dec 20, 2021, 01:07 AM

25. I agree

I said to her why do they even come in?
DU has been discussing this forever.

She has those stories of dying people asking for the vaccine.
No words. So exhausting. Shes so burnt out. & gets yelled at every day now.

Reply to this post

Response to leighbythesea2 (Reply #12)

Mon Dec 20, 2021, 01:06 AM

24. That makes me FURIOUS!

Someone CHOOSING not to get vaccinated and being able to jump in line ahead of someone like your friend who did everything right? That makes me absolutely furious.

And what’s DeSantis going to do now? He suggested monoclonal antibodies over vax and now with Omicron they aren’t as effective AND we have a shortage.

This whole pandemic has revealed to me just now SELFISH and spoiled almost 1/2 of America is. It’s truly been a sad eye opener. Also how incredibly ignorant people can be. And all largely one party. Just ... depressing.

Reply to this post

Response to crimycarny (Reply #24)

Mon Dec 20, 2021, 01:12 AM

26. Right

SI couldn't believe it.

She was apoplectic. She's burnt out too, and getting yelled at. & coughed on. Every day.
It's a day filled with insult on injury.
The friend did get antibodies, but it was because someone with more pull than her, helped him. She called everywhere trying to get them for him.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 20, 2021, 12:59 AM

21. What about people with multiple

allergies from overactive T cells?

Reply to this post

Response to wnylib (Reply #21)

Mon Dec 20, 2021, 01:16 AM

27. This I do not know

Unfortunately.
I just know her Dad (w pre-existing co morbidity, in 70s) and her BIL (the friend of mine, too) with cancer had break thru cases 3 weeks ago, and
She found out then, they were no longer top priority.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 20, 2021, 12:17 AM

5. Aye. Not a good time to be around them.

But a far worse time to BE them.

sorrynotsorry

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 20, 2021, 12:38 AM

9. Imagine if it was as deadly as it is contagious.

I wonder if more morons would start wearing them.

Reply to this post

Response to BigmanPigman (Reply #9)

Mon Dec 20, 2021, 12:44 AM

11. The talk that it is less deadly has not been confirmed yet.

Reply to this post

Response to gab13by13 (Reply #11)

Mon Dec 20, 2021, 12:46 AM

13. Yes

It's early. TBD....

Reply to this post

Response to gab13by13 (Reply #11)

Mon Dec 20, 2021, 02:10 AM

29. And will there be any long term affects in mild cases? I'm not willing to take that chance.

Too many vaccinated people are getting overly confident. I was one of them before this happened. Now I'm back to a 2020 mindset.

Reply to this post

Response to BigmanPigman (Reply #9)

Mon Dec 20, 2021, 12:54 AM

17. Experts are optimistic and hope it is less deadly for the vaccinated

but it is probably still quite deadly for unvaccinated.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 20, 2021, 01:02 AM

23. What are all these numbers based on?

What is perfect health? Ever had pneumonia, Influenza, etc? Are we just lumped into a vaxxed n unvaxxed categories? I’m not freaking out.. I am paranoid of unvaxxed selfish people but how can ya tell? I’m just gonna be as I have been.. tucked away n masked up.. not good for socializing but better than the alternative. Be well out there

Reply to this post

Response to Deuxcents (Reply #23)

Mon Dec 20, 2021, 01:27 AM

28. I'm so very grateful my husband and I WFH

I live in a Trump county. I see maybe 25% with masks on when I go shopping. We’re double-vax’d and boosted and wear KN95 those few times we do have to go out, but I still feel it’s just a matter of time based on the morons that live in this area.

So very tired of this whole fiasco, especially just how SELFISH these anti-vax morons are. Because the second they get sick and need medical care, all of a sudden those same advocates of “natural immunity” and “It’s all a hoax by big pharma” want to take up ICU beds and gets all the drugs Big Pharma can provide. So that whole “natural immunity” thing flies out the window with the first sniffle.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 20, 2021, 02:20 AM

30. just imagine the next variant...

...and the one after that.

Reply to this post

Response to SleeplessinSoCal (Reply #30)

Mon Dec 20, 2021, 08:41 AM

31. I'm hoping they become less severe

That's what happened with the 1918 flu. Supposedly every flu strain since is a variant of that one.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread