Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News Editorials & Other Articles General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search

highplainsdem

(50,078 posts)
Sun Mar 6, 2022, 04:49 PM Mar 2022

Poll: Do you believe Putin will stop with Ukraine if his invasion is at all successful?

I don't.

51 votes, 0 passes | Time left: Unlimited
Yes.
4 (8%)
No.
43 (84%)
Other. Please explain in a reply.
4 (8%)
Show usernames
Disclaimer: This is an Internet poll
25 replies = new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies
Poll: Do you believe Putin will stop with Ukraine if his invasion is at all successful? (Original Post) highplainsdem Mar 2022 OP
Other: for a while. This is proving costly and difficult for Russia. Wingus Dingus Mar 2022 #1
He's also running out of money and nowhere to get it from as well. LenaBaby61 Mar 2022 #4
I believe he would stop- for now sarisataka Mar 2022 #2
This!!! nt MarineCombatEngineer Mar 2022 #7
i agree with you about Russia realizing is military is subpar Demovictory9 Mar 2022 #21
He would pretend to stop and declare that he had liberated Ukraine pandr32 Mar 2022 #3
He's not going to have much military power after this Abnredleg Mar 2022 #5
I don't think he'd want to stop, or planned to stop... Silent3 Mar 2022 #6
That's pretty much my assessment of it also. nt MarineCombatEngineer Mar 2022 #10
I believe there is intelligence indicating that he also plans to go after Moldova, at least n/t AntiFascist Mar 2022 #8
NYT and WaPo stories on Moldova: highplainsdem Mar 2022 #14
Thanks for that! Also, Blinken was just in Moldova meeting with its leader... AntiFascist Mar 2022 #15
I think he will, at least for a time. Kablooie Mar 2022 #9
He didn't stop with Crimea RainCaster Mar 2022 #11
No, he didn't. highplainsdem Mar 2022 #13
Was it a slog like this is so far though? Mad_Machine76 Mar 2022 #18
Latvia, and Estonia and Lithuania plans are probably on the map table today. Chainfire Mar 2022 #12
I'd say it's hard to say. So I said other. I don't have plans in my pocket. JanMichael Mar 2022 #16
Depends Mad_Machine76 Mar 2022 #17
Other ProfessorGAC Mar 2022 #19
No... but.... Happy Hoosier Mar 2022 #20
Hopefully, he will be dead before we get to that. everyonematters Mar 2022 #22
Dont think he wants it all, southern coast, Odessa, E 1/3 of country, Eliminate prez, call it a win Shanti Shanti Shanti Mar 2022 #23
Yes. This. roamer65 Mar 2022 #25
HET Lucid Dreamer Mar 2022 #24

LenaBaby61

(6,991 posts)
4. He's also running out of money and nowhere to get it from as well.
Sun Mar 6, 2022, 04:58 PM
Mar 2022

He'd love to conquer Europe, as his ego is as big as Russia. But the fact is that he's broke and that $600 Billion dollar war-chest he has is frozen, as he has no access to it.

I guess the cray cray one will go as far as his money and old military weaponry takes him.

sarisataka

(19,642 posts)
2. I believe he would stop- for now
Sun Mar 6, 2022, 04:54 PM
Mar 2022

There are many lessons Russia is learning about the shortcomings of their military, equipment, training, morale etc. They will take these lessons and apply them to improve which will take time.

In a few years countries ending with -stan may see a new an improved Russian army "holding exercises" near their borders. The world will not take as much notice over those countries.

Someday the Baltic states may also see Russian exercises near their borders...

pandr32

(11,843 posts)
3. He would pretend to stop and declare that he had liberated Ukraine
Sun Mar 6, 2022, 04:56 PM
Mar 2022

In reality he would be busy preparing his next invasion and he would also be busy purging 'traitors'.

Abnredleg

(689 posts)
5. He's not going to have much military power after this
Sun Mar 6, 2022, 04:58 PM
Mar 2022

His military has shown itself to be shockingly bad, they have lost a lot of casualties, and have expended almost all of their modern weapons such as precision guided weapons. They may eventually wear down Ukraine but they’re not capable of going up against NATO. Poland is looking at how bad the Russian army is performing and is just licking its chops at the opportunity to right some historic wrongs.

Silent3

(15,900 posts)
6. I don't think he'd want to stop, or planned to stop...
Sun Mar 6, 2022, 04:59 PM
Mar 2022

...but since Ukraine is turning into such a fiasco, and the best "victory" available at this point is a long, bloody, costly occupation, I don't he can grab more than Ukraine any time soon.

Kablooie

(18,693 posts)
9. I think he will, at least for a time.
Sun Mar 6, 2022, 05:00 PM
Mar 2022

He will claim victory and regroup his military forces.

Ukraine has a long open border with Russia and not far from Moscow. It would be difficult to defend if NATO decided to invade. If Russia controls Ukraine, NATO would only have narrow passages to invade from which are more easily defended.

Also Ukraine has recently discovered oil and gas reserves that haven't been exploited yet. Putin wants control of these.
These are assumed to be the reasons he invaded.

Chainfire

(17,757 posts)
12. Latvia, and Estonia and Lithuania plans are probably on the map table today.
Sun Mar 6, 2022, 05:16 PM
Mar 2022

Then Finland. Only death will stop Putin The Great.

Mad_Machine76

(24,653 posts)
17. Depends
Sun Mar 6, 2022, 05:31 PM
Mar 2022

on how long Putin and his government survive. But even if he manages to "scorched Earth" his way to "victory"
in Ukraine with nearly the entire world aligned against him with crippling sanctions, he won't have the resources to do much of anything else. Plus, taking Ukraine is the easy part (which actually hasn't been all that easy). He'll have to invest resources to hold it, so it seems doubtful he could do much more with an active insurgency. And then he has to contend with ensuring that he can hold on to power through all of this.

ProfessorGAC

(66,792 posts)
19. Other
Sun Mar 6, 2022, 05:54 PM
Mar 2022

He would do it, but it's not likely Russia can.
They don't have the economic resources.
Ukraine had to be fast & easy. It is neither.
Even if they succeed, occupation costs even more than conquest.
They do not have the ability to continue down this path, and that was without harsh sanctions.
The sanctions create more pain & in less time.
They badly miscalculated their own capabilities & global response.

Happy Hoosier

(7,664 posts)
20. No... but....
Sun Mar 6, 2022, 05:54 PM
Mar 2022

A lot depends upon the next week.

If he has been massing for a big push and the push succeeds, the. I think he could gain momentum. He won‘t want to give it up if he has it.

OTOH, if he remains stymied then There is a good chance he won‘t be able to push on regardless of what he wants and planned.

Latest Discussions»General Discussion»Poll: Do you believe Puti...