HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Teachers unions prepare t...

Wed Apr 20, 2022, 06:44 PM

Teachers unions prepare to fight anti-LGBTQ legislation

The teaching profession faces numerous challenges, teachers union leaders say, including how to address the mental health needs of students after more than two years of a pandemic and teacher shortages that the pandemic has made worse. In addition, the leaders say, they're now being forced to deal with another problem: a wave of state laws regulating what teachers can and can't say in the classroom about the experiences of LGBTQ people and Black, Indigenous, and people of color, abbreviated as BIPOC.

Florida Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis signed into law on March 28 a bill that says public school classroom instruction on gender and sexual orientation is completely off limits from kindergarten through the third grade, prompting LGBTQ educators and advocates to question whether teachers and students are free to even acknowledge the existence of their relationships or their family members'. Students beyond the third-grade level can only receive lessons about these subjects that are "age appropriate or developmentally appropriate," but educators say the language is so vague that it will have a chilling effect on teachers' speech.

Clinton McCracken, an art teacher at the Howard Middle School Academy of Arts in Orlando, Florida, is running for president of the Orange County Classroom Teachers Association partly because he wants to fight against anti-LGBTQ efforts in his state. McCracken, who is gay, said that although his school has supported him, teachers at less supportive schools may be afraid to talk about LGBTQ figures that are relevant to their classes.

"I could be standing in front of my classroom and talking about Andy Warhol or Keith Haring, and it would be a great detriment to my students' learning and art if they didn't understand that those artists were gay, and that identity for them completely impacted the artwork that they created," McCracken said. "There are lots of subjects where that could be the case, and you might have a teacher who's not in my school or not in my district who edits their thoughts and what they're saying, which then is detrimental to the student's education. I know that's DeSantis' goal."

https://americanindependent.com/teachers-unions-lgbtq-anti-trans-dont-say-gay-laws-florida-ron-desantis-public-schools/?utm_content=buffer3af8d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

7 replies, 524 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Teachers unions prepare to fight anti-LGBTQ legislation (Original post)
AZProgressive Apr 2022 OP
Solly Mack Apr 2022 #1
GoldandSilver Apr 2022 #2
dsc Apr 2022 #3
GoldandSilver Apr 2022 #4
IngridsLittleAngel Apr 2022 #6
nuxvomica Apr 2022 #7
Delmette2.0 Apr 2022 #5

Response to AZProgressive (Original post)

Wed Apr 20, 2022, 06:51 PM

1. K&R

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Apr 20, 2022, 07:15 PM

2. Hmmmm......

I am fine with a whole array sexual beings, including the asexual ones. I donít begrudge them a respected and dignified existence. However, I made it through school and life without a single teacher educating me about gay people or what being gay means. Why does this have to be an issue now?

Osmosis filters in a lot of things over time. Family, peers, tv, movies, books,music, etc all contribute to oneís education regarding sex. It all sorts itself out in due time.

School teachers should stick to the basics. Unless they are teaching comparative college courses, sex, religion and politics should not be in the ciriculum.

And I donít agree that you canít grok Andy Warhol without discussing his sexual preferences.

Reply to this post

Response to GoldandSilver (Reply #2)

Wed Apr 20, 2022, 07:20 PM

3. I made it through school without hearing about gay people as well

though I did nearly kill myself in high school as I felt my status as a gay man was unworthy of a place in society. I think I might have felt differently if I had known that a gay man defeated the enigma and helped save the allies in WW2 for example.

Reply to this post

Response to dsc (Reply #3)

Wed Apr 20, 2022, 07:56 PM

4. Reading

Reading is the best thing you can teach anyone. Itís the window to the world.

Well placed reading recommendations can mean all the difference, whether it be about space, auto mechanics, cooking or a successful person (that happens to be gay).

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 21, 2022, 02:18 AM

6. Damnit.. That pesky woke training...

I mean, who needs to hear about any gays or trans people, or acknowledge they exist in school? Damnit, we need to be taught to pass the tests. Isn't that all that matters?

And, hell, while we're at it... Let's not waste our time or energy on any other minority stuff in school. Why waste our time and energy learning about MLK, or Harriet Tubman, or Jackie Robinson, or even Barack Obama? Gosh, school would be just fine without catering to minorities...

Welcome to DU. Enjoy your stay.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 21, 2022, 02:37 AM

7. It would be difficult to study the history of computing or World War II

Without mentioning Alan Turing and any discussion of Turing should include the persecution that led to his suicide. It's like, yeah, Turing was a genius who helped shaped the modern world but lets not talk about what happened to him.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 20, 2022, 08:24 PM

5. 1969 I was high school sophomore.

The first day in Biology the new teacher asked us if we know what Biology was about. We didn't. He just said, Sex.
And we started with how amoeba procreate.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread