HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » I watched the news this A...

Wed May 25, 2022, 08:05 AM

I watched the news this AM. I gotta ask

Why are they NOT calling this an ASSAULT rifle? Is this the NEW thing? They continue saying a long rifle. I sick of their attempts to cover up things. Did someone communicate with law enforcement to NOT use the word ASSAULT rifle? Pisses me off!

8 replies, 1059 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to bluestarone (Original post)

Wed May 25, 2022, 08:08 AM

1. Because the NRA and its supporters have "semanticed" the issue to death--even here

If there is a loophole in the label/description of the various types of semi-automatic or high-volume-clip long guns, they will go nuts over it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed May 25, 2022, 08:09 AM

2. A high capacity magazine fed semiautomatic rifle

Yes an assault rifle.

The only important difference between that and the weapon used by militaries around the world is no feature for automatic fire.

Reply to this post

Wed May 25, 2022, 08:28 AM

3. They are describing the wounds. I think that is more important It's so gruesome

Reply to this post

Response to mucifer (Reply #3)

Wed May 25, 2022, 08:33 AM

4. That doesn't preclude them from calling it an assault weapon

Walk and chew gum, media.

Reply to this post

Wed May 25, 2022, 10:07 AM

5. Long gun v assault rifle? It doesn't matter, both kill people.

At a quick glance from a distance it's actually a term which differentiates a rifle or shotgun from a hand gun/short gun. And the term also warns of the potential for there to be a high-capacity magazine attached.

Reply to this post

Wed May 25, 2022, 10:31 AM

6. It's because technically the AR-15 is not classified as an assault rifle,

and that is because it is 'only' semi-automatic. This is solely due to the trigger mechanism. The AR-15 is not automatic; that means it requires that you pull the trigger each time you want to fire. Well, that is unless you get a bump stock.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ar15s-are-basically-assau_b_10469112

WaPo, 2018:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2018/02/15/4-basic-questions-about-the-ar-15/
no paywall: https://archive.ph/fU3fq

It's all semantics. The gun is just as deadly or easily modified to be so, but gun folks are very touchy about making the distinction. The 'AR' stands for ArmaLite, the name of the company that manufactures it, and one of the reasons it's so popular is because it's the closest civilian version of the M-16 used by the US Army. Lovely.

Reply to this post

Wed May 25, 2022, 10:33 AM

7. Do they know for sure what kind of gun it was?

Last night, the media didn't seem sure. Though authorities have had time to look at it since.

Reply to this post

Wed May 25, 2022, 01:06 PM

8. Using the term "assault rifle" allows the discussion to be derailed by arguing the definition.

I would prefer they use the term "AR", which is what the gun manufacturers themselves use. Everyone has a concept of what an AR is.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread