HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » If Beto gets elected...I ...

Fri Jul 29, 2022, 08:16 PM

If Beto gets elected...I will move to Texas....

My kids moved there last year and just had a baby. I want to be around my grandchildren, but under the current circumstances....I just couldn't...

14 replies, 801 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to hookaleft (Original post)

Fri Jul 29, 2022, 08:18 PM

1. Good luck! to you, your family, and all of us!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Jul 29, 2022, 08:20 PM

2. May all your dreams come true, my dear hookaleft! ♥

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 29, 2022, 08:24 PM

3. There is nothing I want more...

Than for you to get to move near your grandchildren, especially the new baby.

Plus, that would mean Beto won!

Ps…he’s gonna win. Pack your grandparent gear. (just my opinion)

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 29, 2022, 08:27 PM

4. Would you consider Georgia instead?

I think the Dems have a better chance there than in Texas. Texas is Lucy with the football still. Warnock can help Abrams pull thru. Atlanta has a great airport and is a quick flight to Texas to see your grandchildren.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 29, 2022, 08:35 PM

5. If Beto gets elected I will not leave Texas. (or want to)

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 29, 2022, 08:36 PM

6. You have no idea...

You have no idea how bad I would love to welcome you to Texas, based on your criteria. Unfortunately, I don't think it will happen, and I'm continuously looking for my way out of Texas.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 29, 2022, 08:40 PM

7. I hope Beto wins....but

There’s an awful lot of changes that need to be changed for Texas to truly turn Blue. And stay Blue. I do have an idea of how you feel. My son n a lot of family live in Texas. As I get older, I wonder what will happen to me if I needed to move close to my son near San Antonio. Right now, it’s scary to think about. I hope we both get our wishes

Reply to this post

Response to Deuxcents (Reply #7)

Fri Jul 29, 2022, 11:00 PM

11. San Antonio, like most cities in Texas, is not too bad. It's when you live in a suburban

or rural area that most of the extreme right dwells. They are a nasty bunch.

If Beto could win it would hopefully be possibly the beginning of a major shift in Texas. I'm not gonna hold my breath though.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 29, 2022, 08:51 PM

8. That would be a wonderful, hopeful choice

I totally understand wanting to be near your grandchildren.

It's actually nice to seeing your children too. But grandchildren never nag you like your own kids do.

Best of luck, and I hope Beto wins.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 29, 2022, 09:53 PM

9. I understand wanting to live near the kids.

My son is currently in a PhD program in astronomy. He'll be done when he's done, and will hopefully find a permanent job after that. We've already briefly discussed that neither of us wants to live in certain states, and are very much on the same page with that. He's in Fairfax, VA (George Mason University) and has no idea at this point where he'll wind up.

I'm in Santa Fe, NM, and if he makes it to this state, or Arizona, or Colorado (all reasonable possibilities) I would stay put where I am, until I need to go into assisted living. Otherwise, I'll relocate to be closer to him, because (especially since the Pandemic and its restrictions) I don't like being so far away from him. And all of you reading this with grown children understand.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 29, 2022, 10:03 PM

10. I live in Florida, and Georgia and Texas are the only two states I would consider moving to

I love the weather. The people are amazing (in my experience, at least)... but the problem with all these places is that the people in power don't share my politics.

Truthfully, in all these places, including my own state, needs all the loyal Democratic voters they can get. They can't afford to lose any of them.

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 29, 2022, 11:34 PM

12. There's nothing I want more than for Texas to turn blue!

Texas is currently run by a batshit crazy group of soulless, Fox addicted psychopaths. Having Beto will be a breath of fresh air!

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 30, 2022, 04:42 AM

13. I think Texas is going to be very hard hit by climate change.

People ought to be thinking of moving out of the state.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 30, 2022, 05:13 AM

14. As some replies have indicated, you will be part of a movement

to create a bluer Texas someday if you move there. At least your vote wouldn’t be wastefully redundant the way the vast majority of those clustered in blue areas are, and you’d hopefully be able to help make Texas a better place for your grandchildren.

By the way, and this makes global warming an especially scary auger, cultures in hot climates tend to develop more conservative than those in cooler, temperate climates. A political map of this country and of the globe will show that to be true. Other climates that make life very challenging, like very cold ones, also breed conservative cultures. These days, though, other forces like modern communications and medicine, ample food, and HVAC, are probably offsetting that. (Let’s hope, for the sake of humanity.)

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread