HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Are you supposed to tell ...

Tue Sep 6, 2022, 04:37 PM

Are you supposed to tell a city when you move out?

My husband's friend called him and while talking he told my husband that he and his wife had been placed in collections for non- payment of per captia tax for the pass 10 years. They left the town 11 years ago. The tax office is saying it is up to the person to call the town tax office and tell them they are not living in the town anymore.

I am floored at that logic. My thought is that the city can do an internet search to see the person's address is not in the city. They won't pull it from collections and the collections office won't correct the records without per catpita receipts proving they aren't living in that town. They won't accept a license or anything else as proof.

His wife lost it over the phone. she is normally not a Karen but boy was she frustrated and pissed.

24 replies, 1141 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 24 replies Author Time Post
Reply Are you supposed to tell a city when you move out? (Original post)
PA_jen Sep 6 OP
Chainfire Sep 6 #1
lame54 Sep 6 #2
dchill Sep 6 #4
bucolic_frolic Sep 6 #3
PA_jen Sep 6 #7
bucolic_frolic Sep 6 #10
TheRealNorth Sep 6 #5
PA_jen Sep 6 #9
BlackSkimmer Sep 6 #12
PA_jen Sep 6 #16
BlackSkimmer Sep 6 #17
MichMan Sep 6 #18
BlackSkimmer Sep 6 #19
MichMan Sep 6 #22
Mariana Sep 6 #23
lpbk2713 Sep 6 #6
inthewind21 Sep 6 #8
PA_jen Sep 6 #10
Demsrule86 Sep 6 #14
Raven123 Sep 6 #13
PA_jen Sep 6 #15
HeartachesNhangovers Sep 6 #20
PA_jen Sep 8 #24
treestar Sep 6 #21

Response to PA_jen (Original post)

Tue Sep 6, 2022, 04:42 PM

1. Tell them you did notify them...when you quit paying the utilities.

If it were me, they could charge it to the dust and let the rain settle it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Chainfire (Reply #1)

Tue Sep 6, 2022, 04:45 PM

2. I told Jeff. Didn't he give you the message?

Reply to this post

Response to Chainfire (Reply #1)

Tue Sep 6, 2022, 04:48 PM

4. Also, they can go whistle for it.

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 6, 2022, 04:48 PM

3. it might depend on the state or jurisdiction, but yes you are supposed to tell them

for tax purposes. There are certificates of occupancy, renters' ledgers, certificates of moving, turning in your license plates and DMV registrations (which might help prove your case even now). If you tell the state you left the state, and turn in your car tags, have a certificate of moving, you no longer live there legally. You moved.

Reply to this post

Response to bucolic_frolic (Reply #3)

Tue Sep 6, 2022, 04:54 PM

7. They stay in the state they are in just moved from one city to another.

Reply to this post

Response to PA_jen (Reply #7)

Tue Sep 6, 2022, 04:58 PM

10. Per Capita receipts sounds like the address used to file tax returns

Utility bills, USPS mail delivery, vehicle registration. These are all things that pinpoint where we are.

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 6, 2022, 04:51 PM

5. Perhaps a scam?

That seems weird. What is a "per capita tax"? It sounds almost like a poll tax (in the historical/Roman use of the word).

I would think that most of those taxes or fees are tied to a property, so if you are no longer the owner of said property, then you are off the hook.

Reply to this post

Response to TheRealNorth (Reply #5)

Tue Sep 6, 2022, 04:56 PM

9. it is a tax for living in the town and working in it. doesn't matter if you own properity.

Reply to this post

Response to PA_jen (Reply #9)

Tue Sep 6, 2022, 04:59 PM

12. If you don't own property in the town, what are they taxing?

that makes no sense.

I pay a bunch in property taxes, both city and county, but I own property here.

In my years as a renter in the past, I never paid tax except on my vehicle. That makes no sense at all.

Reply to this post

Response to BlackSkimmer (Reply #12)

Tue Sep 6, 2022, 05:14 PM

16. it must be a PA thing. it is the tax for having the privilege of living in the city.

Reply to this post

Response to PA_jen (Reply #16)

Tue Sep 6, 2022, 05:18 PM

17. I'v never heard of a "privilege" tax.

My taxes are listed on my tax bill. School (though I have no kids), property, etc. They even send you updates as your tax burden increases or (rarely) decreases. We are given four months to pay city and county taxes without penalty.

There is no such thing as a "privilege" tax. Your friend needs to look into how she is being scammed.

Reply to this post

Response to BlackSkimmer (Reply #12)

Tue Sep 6, 2022, 05:21 PM

18. Many cities charge resident and non resident income taxes.

Why isn't paying taxes to a municipality just for working there considered taxation without representation?

Reply to this post

Response to MichMan (Reply #18)

Tue Sep 6, 2022, 05:25 PM

19. I have never heard of this ever.

I lived and worked in many cities over my lifetime.

I've never paid any tax on anything other than a property tax on whatever I've owned in that locale.

Reply to this post

Response to BlackSkimmer (Reply #19)

Tue Sep 6, 2022, 08:18 PM

22. It is quite common actually

Here are just a small few

Birmingham, AL 1% income tax.
District of Columbia 4% on the first $10,000, 6% between $10,000 and $40,000, and 8.5% over $40,000.
Louisville, KY 2.2% on residents, 1.45% on nonresidents.
Baltimore, MD 3.05%.
Detroit, MI 2.5% for residents, 1.25% for nonresidents.
Kansas City and St. Louis, MO 1%.
Ohio 235 cities and 331 villages in Ohio have an income tax, including the major cities of Columbus, Toledo, Cincinnati, and Cleveland.
Pennsylvania some cities in Pennsylvania have a tax on wages called an Earned Income Tax, including Philadelphia (3.98%) and Pittsburgh (3%)

Here are 4 in my state alone that I know of.

Detroit: 2.5% on residents, 1.25% on nonresidents
Grand Rapids: 1.5% on residents, 0.75% on nonresidents
Highland Park: 2.0% on residents, 1.0% on nonresidents
Saginaw: 1.5% on residents, 0.75% on nonresidents

Non resident income taxes really tick me off. My wife was transferred to an office in Detroit for 12 months many years ago. Even though we lived 30 miles from Detroit, she had to pay a non resident city tax just for the privilege of working there. Yet had no say in anything the city did nor was allowed to vote there for anything. I work part time for an amateur sports group that plays in Toledo several times a year, and the city withholds income taxes from me, even though I live in another state.

When a visiting NFL team plays the Lions in Detroit, all the players on both teams get hit with city income taxes for the amount of their salary they earned in one game. Yet, none of them live there.

[link:https://www.thebalance.com/cities-that-levy-income-taxes-3193246#:~:text=All%2024%20Maryland%20counties%20levy%20income%20taxes%20on,also%20has%20an%20income%20tax%20of%203.2%25.%206|

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 6, 2022, 04:51 PM

6. What can they do? Put a lien on the property that isn't theirs any more?

Have they been collecting taxes from whoever lived there since eleven years ago?

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 6, 2022, 04:55 PM

8. When they charge

a per capita tax. Yes. What's to prevent everyone from saying "I don't live there anymore?"

Reply to this post

Response to inthewind21 (Reply #8)

Tue Sep 6, 2022, 04:58 PM

10. interesting. never told my old town when I left and most people I talk to never heard that.

Reply to this post

Response to inthewind21 (Reply #8)

Tue Sep 6, 2022, 05:01 PM

14. No you don't have to...you have w2s that show you live elsewhere... tell them you will sue them.

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 6, 2022, 05:00 PM

13. It took them 10 years to figure this out? Never heard of it.

Is someone else living at their former address? Are they paying similar taxes elsewhere? This seems weird

Reply to this post

Response to Raven123 (Reply #13)

Tue Sep 6, 2022, 05:13 PM

15. yes they are paying similar taxes in the new city. they only rented in the old town so yes others

more than likely.

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 6, 2022, 05:45 PM

20. I asked Google "What cities charge income tax?"

It turns out many in the US do. The only one I've lived in is San Francisco, but they only started in 2021 after I moved away, so I managed to avoid municipal income taxes all my life.

The first result I got was for: [link:https://www.thebalance.com/cities-that-levy-income-taxes-3193246|

About Pennsylvania, it says:

Most municipalities in Pennsylvania assess a tax on wages called the Earned Income Tax. Rates for residents range from a low of 1% up to 3.87% in Philadelphia, 3.6% in Reading, 3.4% in Scranton, and 3% in Pittsburgh and Wilkes-Barre. Nonresidents are subject to lesser rates in most cities that tax at over 1%.

So not a "per capita" tax, but an "earned income tax". I don't know the law since I don't work in PA, but it seems as if employers (who are the ones paying the income) would have the burden of notifying the municipality that an income earner has moved away.

So if your husband's friend was an employer or was self-employed, he may have had some obligation to tell the municipality that someone has flown the coop.

Reply to this post

Response to HeartachesNhangovers (Reply #20)

Thu Sep 8, 2022, 12:40 PM

24. The problem is the city was trying to tax for years they no longer lived in that city.

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 6, 2022, 05:50 PM

21. I'd be pretty sure they don't owe taxes just because

of not informing the city they moved. Someone else is living where they lived. Bureaucrat messed something up, refuses to believe that and straighten things out. When they want to collect in a court, something will shake out that they cannot make the claim - the lawyer composing the complaint will see the regulations or whatever it is that sets forth the procedures, and see the error.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread