HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Here is a scary thought. ...

Mon Sep 19, 2022, 05:02 PM

Here is a scary thought. A friend of mine in Neighboring Ohio

indicated her election board found something interesting--People are volunteering to work the polls. Which normally is a good thing but after 2020 her area like many others found people no longer volunteering and had been threaten and scared away. What she is noticing is the people volunteering are people she is aware to be conspiracy theorists & believe the big lie. The scary part is how many will try to Provent people from voting. How many have gotten into higher levels of positions. We saw how Election boards in various counties aren't certifying the primaries.

https://apnews.com/article/2022-midterm-elections-biden-new-mexico-voting-machines-7b91e326d2f378898046ec7df779ba20

Why isn't this a bigger story or being investigated?

18 replies, 4572 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 18 replies Author Time Post
Reply Here is a scary thought. A friend of mine in Neighboring Ohio (Original post)
PA_jen Sep 19 OP
TheProle Sep 19 #1
Haggard Celine Sep 19 #2
Ms. Toad Sep 19 #3
Alexander Of Assyria Sep 19 #4
Ms. Toad Sep 19 #13
PA_jen Sep 19 #12
FakeNoose Sep 19 #5
llmart Sep 19 #16
LiberalArkie Sep 19 #6
Joinfortmill Sep 19 #7
OMGWTF Sep 19 #8
llmart Sep 19 #17
housecat Sep 19 #9
Maggiemayhem Sep 19 #10
Bernardo de La Paz Sep 19 #11
Mr. Evil Sep 19 #14
Fiendish Thingy Sep 19 #15
Farmer-Rick Sep 20 #18

Response to PA_jen (Original post)

Mon Sep 19, 2022, 05:09 PM

1. The WSJ had a piece today:

here's a non-paywalled link:

https://electionlawblog.org/?p=132003

Republicans here are recruiting a fresh batch of poll watchers to monitor voting in November as part of a revamped response to allegations of election fraud that roiled the latest presidential contest.

Poll watching, a normally mundane duty where volunteers sit for hours watching for any possible rule violations at voting sites, is emerging as a flashpoint in the fight over U.S. election rules after former President Donald Trump falsely claimed that widespread election fraud cost him the 2020 race. The Republican National Committee said it has launched a multimillion-dollar effort to recruit tens of thousands of poll watchers and poll workers and hire dozens of staff to monitor voting.

Many Republican voters are heading into the midterms still skeptical about the results of the 2020 election, and the Republican Party is encouraging them to channel those concerns into activism by volunteering to monitor the polls. Some Republicans view the effort as a way to ensure that Mr. Trumpís fraud claims donít prompt supporters to skip the election altogether because of doubts about the validity of the process.

Democrats are raising concerns that highly partisan volunteers could try to intimidate voters or election officials.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Sep 19, 2022, 05:16 PM

2. It was obvious this was going to happen.

When they were stalking the other poll workers and elections officials and scaring them and forcing them to resign, the Trumpers were planning all along to put partisans in their places. This is all setting up to be a major mess in November. Prepare for the worst, because it's going to be ugly.

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 19, 2022, 05:21 PM

3. I've worked the polls as an observer in 2 Ohio counties, and the boards of elections office in both.

as well as working in the party "bolier room" for the county. One county was red, the other blue over the period of a decade.

I can truly say that I have never seen any pollworker deliberately try to prevent people from voting. Both parties are attentive to whether there are matching pairs of election workers (one Dem, one Rep).

That's not to say there aren't screw-ups - but everything I have seen is a screw-up which was "innocent" in the sense that the pollworkers involvded simply didn't understand the rules. For example, the rules for who can vote where, when registration is in a different polling place than where the voter showed up are pretty complex, so occasionally people were sent to a different polling place when they did not need to be. As an observer in the remote precincts, we would try to catch them as they left and make sure they had been given accurate information. If not, we were able to correct the misinformation through proper channels. The observer would then contact either the party "boiler room" which might be able to correct the misinformation. If not, someone in the "boiler room" would contact the liason observer in the county board of elections. Part of the job of that board of elections observer was to interface with the BOE employees who were responsible for correcting their employees.

The reason for the threats is BECAUSE the BOE employees, down to the pollworkers, are dedicated to running a fair elections - and Republicans outside of the BOE don't like that.

(BTW - pollworkers are paid in Ohio, so it's not a volunteer position. Party observers - on the other hand - are volunteer positions - and, as long as they are following the rules, there isn't anything to be done about those with nefarious motives. In Ohio, in the past decade, there have always been more Democratic observers than Republican - so the chances that there would be a Republican observer who is able to interfere without being caught is pretty slim. And we're trained in what to do if they are misbehaving. My training for November is Thursday - I don't expect it will be any less comprehensive than it has been in the past.)

Reply to this post

Response to Ms. Toad (Reply #3)

Mon Sep 19, 2022, 05:32 PM

4. Looks like the posters friend from Ohio isn't a reliable source at all!

Volunteers for unpaid positions have little to zero actual power to do anything.
Official election workers are paidÖto follow the law.

The whole thing is tempest in teapot.

The real focus should be on the fascist legislatures seizing power over the results from both the voters and the courts based on conspiracy theories.

Reply to this post

Response to Alexander Of Assyria (Reply #4)

Mon Sep 19, 2022, 07:09 PM

13. There's a lot of fear about what goes on in the polling place/boards of elections -

But I have yet to meet anyone who has worked as a pollworker - or volunteered as a party observer - who didn't come away with respect for the workers (regardless of party affiliation).

The Republican Secretaries of State who stood up to Trump's assertions of election fraud, in my experience, are more the norm than the exception.

(That's NOT to say I agree with their philosophies about election administration - and their inclination to narrow the voting window whenever they can. But once the laws are set, they apply them - and most take any suggestion that they are subverting the election process as an extreme (and unwarranted) insult.)

The best way to have confidence in the election process is to apply to be a pollworker - or volunteer as a party observer. It dispells a lot of fears!

Reply to this post

Response to Ms. Toad (Reply #3)

Mon Sep 19, 2022, 07:04 PM

12. thanks for the clarification. I kind of got lost in her explanation but she was concern about

what she heard some of them say.

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 19, 2022, 06:18 PM

5. The Repukes have been talking about this for over a year

Something is up. They are definitely figuring out a new & different way to cheat.

Reply to this post

Response to FakeNoose (Reply #5)

Mon Sep 19, 2022, 08:00 PM

16. +1

I read about the GOP doing that here in Michigan also. It was months ago and I only remember the gist of it was they were training 800 of their people as poll watchers. I got the impression from the article that it was more an intimidation tactic and/or they had some nefarious reason why they wanted to outnumber the Dems in those positions. I came away feeling that something was up.

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 19, 2022, 06:21 PM

6. I always early vote on a machine.

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 19, 2022, 06:38 PM

7. Need monitors.

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 19, 2022, 06:41 PM

8. If every state voted by mail, we wouldn't need them.

It works great in eight states and the military has used it since the Civil War. VOTE BY MAIL for so many reasons!

Reply to this post

Response to OMGWTF (Reply #8)

Mon Sep 19, 2022, 08:03 PM

17. +1

In Michigan anyone can vote by mail and vote as soon as they get their ballots. It is a much better way to vote in my opinion. I think it encourages more people to vote since you can just sit at your kitchen table and fill it out. That's why the GOP doesn't like vote by mail.

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 19, 2022, 06:47 PM

9. Ohio needs easy vote-by-mail (as just suggested in other posts)

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 19, 2022, 07:01 PM

10. This has been a Steve Bannon plan for awhile.

They are even recruiting evangelical church members. This is not just Ohio, it is any state. Keep your SOS number on you and call and report any behavior that intimidates.

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 19, 2022, 07:03 PM

11. It's an organized movement by the MAGA maggot Party. It's a corrupt plan to corrupt the election.nt

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 19, 2022, 07:25 PM

14. Anytime you want to know why a story isn't bigger or being investigated...

Just repeat these three words: Corporate Owned Media.

Reply to this post

Mon Sep 19, 2022, 07:46 PM

15. Reading this thread, there appears to be some confusion between Poll WORKERS and OBSERVERS

Workers are typically paid, and face criminal prosecution if they violate the laws they are sworn to uphold.

Observers typically work for the parties, and in the past, GOP observers have gotten in trouble for intimidating voters.

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 20, 2022, 08:31 AM

18. Here in rural TN they don't need to recruit anyone

They mostly all are magots. They change the location of our polling place every year. And when they did settle on a site, the entrance was hidden and difficult to find. I walked around the building twice and had to ask 2 people to find the entrance to the polling place. At least there was no line.

Early voting has weird days and hours for voting so it's always a guess if they will be open when you go vote early. They also regularly change the location of the early voting site too. And don't even try voting by mail. If you don't do it just right they throw out your ballot. And you have to start the process at least 6 months ahead of time to jump through all the hoops to get a ballot.

Funny when I finally got into a voting site that was open, no one else but the poll workers were there. And when I casually mentioned I was voting Democratic, they all whispered among themselves. But I did finally get to vote.

This is magot central and they still don't want you to vote.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread