HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » OOPS: McCarthy Accidental...

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 11:40 AM

OOPS: McCarthy Accidentally Posts & Frantically Hides Extreme MAGA Agenda (But We Have Screenshots

https://www.speaker.gov/newsroom/92122-1
(you really need to see the web page, my excerpt doesn't do it justice)
(also, see Dalton99a's post, below )

Alternate link, courtesy of DUer Olestro
https://web.archive.org/web/20220922001439/https://www.speaker.gov/newsroom/92122-1

OOPS: McCarthy Accidentally Posts & Frantically Hides Extreme MAGA Agenda (But We Have Screenshots...)

SEPTEMBER 21, 2022 BLOG

From the Speaker's Press Office:

OOPS. Looks like Leader McCarthy fumbled his agenda rollout by accidentally posting the webpage of House Republicans’ “Commitment to America” – and then scrambled to password protect the website again…

[...]

67 replies, 11879 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 67 replies Author Time Post
Reply OOPS: McCarthy Accidentally Posts & Frantically Hides Extreme MAGA Agenda (But We Have Screenshots (Original post)
sl8 Sep 22 OP
gratuitous Sep 22 #1
Deminpenn Sep 22 #5
dchill Sep 22 #2
catbyte Sep 22 #18
Picaro Sep 22 #42
BadgerMom Sep 22 #48
ShazzieB Sep 22 #53
ShazzieB Sep 22 #55
soldierant Sep 22 #62
COL Mustard Sep 22 #56
dchill Sep 22 #58
SheltieLover Sep 22 #3
Botany Sep 22 #4
dalton99a Sep 22 #6
sl8 Sep 22 #7
calimary Sep 22 #10
Traildogbob Sep 22 #12
halfulglas Sep 22 #20
Traildogbob Sep 22 #23
Farmer-Rick Sep 22 #34
Alwaysna Sep 22 #44
Traildogbob Sep 22 #45
Mariana Sep 22 #43
DemSoc Sep 22 #59
Traildogbob Sep 22 #61
OMGWTF Sep 22 #25
Hermit-The-Prog Sep 22 #27
Cha Sep 22 #30
TeamProg Sep 22 #8
Lucinda Sep 22 #9
I_UndergroundPanther Sep 22 #11
halfulglas Sep 22 #46
Elessar Zappa Sep 23 #65
2naSalit Sep 22 #13
intheflow Sep 22 #14
progressoid Sep 22 #16
Sugarcoated Sep 22 #17
Emile Sep 22 #21
sl8 Sep 22 #24
intheflow Sep 22 #35
bagimin Sep 22 #32
FakeNoose Sep 22 #36
intheflow Sep 22 #39
FakeNoose Sep 22 #40
progressoid Sep 22 #47
lindysalsagal Sep 22 #15
Heather MC Sep 22 #19
ancianita Sep 22 #22
Dyedinthewoolliberal Sep 22 #26
Silent3 Sep 22 #28
jaxexpat Sep 22 #41
barbtries Sep 22 #29
LittleGirl Sep 22 #31
burrowowl Sep 22 #33
Farmer-Rick Sep 22 #37
I_UndergroundPanther Sep 23 #67
Stuart G Sep 22 #38
Hortensis Sep 22 #49
Atticus Sep 22 #50
DFW Sep 22 #51
Trueblue1968 Sep 22 #52
Olestro Sep 22 #54
sl8 Sep 22 #57
Irishxs Sep 22 #60
Wednesdays Sep 22 #63
betsuni Sep 23 #64
Ladythatvotesblue Sep 23 #66

Response to sl8 (Original post)

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 11:46 AM

1. Speaker Pelosi has your number, Kevin

It's very telling that this bumbler passes for leadership in today's Republican party.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to gratuitous (Reply #1)

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 11:56 AM

5. Easy as pie

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 11:48 AM

2. Zygote personhood is all the rage.

Reply to this post

Response to dchill (Reply #2)

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 01:06 PM

18. I'm interested to see how the case in Texas is finally resolved with the pregnant woman

who got a ticket for traveling in the HOV lane, lol. She's arguing that since a fetus is now apparently "a person," then she should be allowed to use the HOV lane. Her first ticket was dismissed, but she recently got another one. This is going to bring up all kinds of issues.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/pregnant-texas-woman-claiming-unborn-baby-hov-lane-hit-second-ticket-rcna45629

Reply to this post

Response to catbyte (Reply #18)

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 03:28 PM

42. She won

There is now a legal precedent for an unborn having the full legal rights of a living person in Texas. I know that Texas will make full use of this. Precedent is to be honored if it advances their patriarchal cause.

I left the term off after unborn, because I can't say fetus. It could be a zygote. There are distinct developmental stages and what you call it changes depending on the stage.

This is simply insane. No culture that I'm aware of has ever believed something unborn is endowed with either spiritual or legal rights.

Once you declare that human life begins at conception--that a zygote is imbued with person hood--then legal insanity begins. A woman becomes a secondary person with lesser rights. The growth inside her, like something out of Alien or Rosemary's Baby, suddenly has more rights than the host.

This all nauseates me. My wife and daughters are not lesser people. This is deeply wrong.

There's nothing cute or funny about this.

Reply to this post

Response to Picaro (Reply #42)

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 05:04 PM

48. Thank you. I agree.

Reading these passages actually makes me feel ill. And afraid. These people are monsters. And how can Stefanik, a woman, think any of this is okay?

I get it. The Republican leadership is inept. For that I’m grateful, but not amused. This is too sickening, too frightening, to amuse me.

Reply to this post

Response to BadgerMom (Reply #48)

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 06:27 PM

53. She's a Republican.

That trumps being a woman. (Pun intended)

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 07:32 PM

55. You are right about there being multiple stages of prenatal development.

I know of four:

Zygote: An ovum that has just been fertilized but hasn't yet subdivided into multiple cells.

Blastocyst: The ball of cells that forms when a zygote subdivides into multiple cells, about five to six days after a sperm fertilizes an egg. It implants in the uterine wall, eventually becoming the embryo and then the fetus.

Embryo: About 10 to 12 days after fertilization, the blastocyst develops into an embryo. It remains an embryo until about nine weeks after implantation, when it then becomes a fetus.

Fetus: The stage from about week nine until birth.

Note: The forced birthers like to talk about protecting the unborn beginning with "conception." They define "conception" from the moment of fertilization (the zygote stage). However, it's not possible to diagnose a pregnancy until implantation in the uterine wall has occurred, and it's believed that, in the normal course of events, between 1/3 and 1/2 of fertilized eggs never fully implant.

Imo, this means, even IF one buys into the notion of pre-birth "personhood" (a very, very big "if," it's ludicrous to extend such a status to every egg that gets fertilized. We know that there is no pregnancy until implantation, which means these people want to define "personhood" as beginning before there's an actual pregnancy!

This obsession with "personhood" beginning at the moment a sperm fertilizes an ovum is why the forced borthers want to outlaw all forms of birth control that they believe might possibly interfere with implantation in some way. This includes all hormone-based forms of birth control, which they insist (based on no scientific evidence whatsoever) prevent implantation.

For more on when pregnancy begins and the implications of how that is defined, see: https://www.guttmacher.org/gpr/2005/05/implications-defining-when-woman-pregnant

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 11:00 PM

62. If it were still a zygot, she probably would not have known she was pregnant.

But it could be an embryo or it could be a fetus.

Reply to this post

Response to dchill (Reply #2)

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 07:51 PM

56. Next they'll say you're pregnant before you even get laid

"Pregnant from birth, so no abortions possible ever". Try them. They are so extreme.

Reply to this post

Response to COL Mustard (Reply #56)

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 09:07 PM

58. Speaker Pelosi says they believe life begins...

...at the candlelight dinner the night before.

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 11:48 AM

3. Kicking for visibility

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 11:49 AM

4. Roevember is coming

ATTN American women and those of us who support them this is what they are all about.

The extreme MAGA House GOP is already on record about how they intend to implement their extreme plans for a federal law to criminalize abortion in all 50 states:

166 House Republicans, including GOP Whip Scalise and Chair Stefanik, have co-sponsored a “Life Begins at Conception” bill that would use the 14th Amendment to criminalize all abortion after the moment of fertilization, with absolutely no exceptions for rape, incest or the health of the woman.
179 House Republicans have co-sponsored or endorsed as members of the Republican Study Committee a bill to criminalize abortion nationwide after six weeks, before most women even know they are pregnant, with no exceptions for rape or incest, explicitly punishable by 5-year sentences in federal prison for doctors.
205 House Republicans voted in support of arresting, finding or suing women for traveling across state lines to obtain an abortion.
195 House Republicans voted against the fundamental right to contraception.
210 House Republicans voted against restoring the fundamental rights that women had for almost 50 years under Roe v. Wade, with the Women’s Health Protection Act.

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 11:58 AM

6. A nationwide abortion ban, higher drug prices, and more voter suppression

Reply to this post

Response to dalton99a (Reply #6)

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 12:00 PM

7. Thank you. nt

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 12:26 PM

10. Dear God ... VOTE, DAMMIT!!!

As though your life depended on it.

And BECAUSE YOUR RIGHTS depend on it!

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 12:31 PM

12. Let's not forget

Their plan to END SS, Medicare, Medicare, ACA, and veterans benefits. How the fuck is this not plastered everywhere. It’s all in writing????????

Reply to this post

Response to Traildogbob (Reply #12)

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 01:08 PM

20. Trouble is, so many don't believe it because it's "settled" because most people alive don't

Remember a time when Social Security wasn't a working entity. Working in the background, but working. You mention to people it's part of the Republican agenda and you get, "It'll never happen," or "only a few are saying that," or "Dem scare tactics."

What most people don't understand is that Big Business has ALWAYS resented the EMPLOYER CONTRIBUTION to Social Security. They think it's money taken out of THEIR POCKETS to give to those who don't deserve it, with them being the ones who decide who deserves it. That's been part of their agenda ever since 1933. After all, they think it's the duty of all people to set aside sufficient funds for their old age, despite the fact that there are huge segments of the population who can't live on what they are making now, much less put money aside. The fact that the Federal minimum wage has not budged doesn't matter to them. (That's another thing that rankles many of them. They don't think there should be any minimum wage. They want to pay the employer what they think they're worth.)

Considering the income of the American family today is equal to the income of the family with single income earnings of the 1970s is that now it includes both parents working full time and sometimes one of those parents also having an additional part-time job.

When you go to a financial planner to get help for retirement planning your, they factor in income from Social Security, VA benefits, etc. They end that and it throws at least half the population out of wack for, well forever.

They think this is their time to strike. They have gotten so much since 2016 teaming up with racists, evangelicals and America firsters. They think it's time to get THEIR country back.

Reply to this post

Response to halfulglas (Reply #20)

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 01:23 PM

23. I hear the same

“That will never happen, there would be an uproar”. Well ask any women if she ever thought she would be required by law, At age 10 she would be required to carry her daddies fetus to term. Never gonna happen right. And in the very near future, you may not even have any ability to vote them out. We gotta be make than woke, we gotta really wake the hell up right now. Or we lose it all. They want old people to fill those minimum wage fast food jobs that are beggin for workers. If those franchises help end SS, all those jobs will be filled. Out of necessity. Keeping their billions, untaxed flowing in to continue buying the government.

Reply to this post

Response to Traildogbob (Reply #23)

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 02:38 PM

34. So True

Years ago I had the misfortune of having to talk to a bunch of GOPers, females over 68. I asked why would they ever vote for a Republican when they want to take away your Social Security. They all were on Social Security.

They said that Republicans would never do that. They just ran on the issue to get votes, but they would never take away their Social Security. They really believe all the awful things GOPers want to do wont apply to them.

Reply to this post

Response to Traildogbob (Reply #23)

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 03:59 PM

44. Re:10 year olds refused abortion

Is Playtex going to start making training bras that are also nursing bras? Are school girls going to need "lactation rooms" so they can pump milk for their babies instead of having a recess?

Reply to this post

Response to Alwaysna (Reply #44)

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 04:04 PM

45. Come on now

That’s post birth. They don’t give a damn about born children or their mothers.

Reply to this post

Response to halfulglas (Reply #20)

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 03:38 PM

43. Old Republican voters don't believe THEIR benefits will ever be cut.

They believe any cuts in benefits will only affect younger people, which is just fine with them. And they're probably right - that's how benefit cuts have been done in the past.

Reply to this post

Response to Traildogbob (Reply #12)

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 10:03 PM

59. (Typo) Let's not forget they plan to END Medicaid too!

Typo... Surely you meant "Let's not forget their plan to END SS, Medicare, Medicaid, ACA, and veterans' benefits."

"How the fuck is this not plastered everywhere???" Yeah, it's mindboggling Traildogbob!

Reply to this post

Response to DemSoc (Reply #59)

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 10:45 PM

61. Thank you

🤜🤛

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 01:33 PM

25. It's just another day in Rethuglican Opposite World

where denying your right to vote, or to have more bodily autonomy than a dead person, or taking away the benefits you paid into your entire working life equals "protecting our rights and defending the Constitution."

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 01:46 PM

27. Thanks for catching and posting those!

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 01:55 PM

30. TY dalton.. McCarthy's agenda should

be in a Tweet so we can Spread it Viral!

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 12:02 PM

8. Scary stuff. Sharia law.. n/t

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 12:12 PM

9. ...

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 12:31 PM

11. This

Scares the living shit out of me. I am disabled and get ssi and hud housing. If those republican fuckers get away with
screwing the vote,and get control I will be homeless in 5 years. Last time I was homeless I went full blown psychotic. If I can't afford my meds,rent,food,utilities or hospitalization there is a good chance I'll be dead.

I despise republicans and if they screw the vote and it looks like they are set up to do that all the way to the supreme court..

I'm as good as dead. Literally.

Is there a way to stop this sociopathic inhumane bullshit cold along with gotv? I sure hope so. We need a plan B,C,D,E,F....

Reply to this post

Response to I_UndergroundPanther (Reply #11)

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 04:08 PM

46. Yeah. I have a friend whose husband is in his 50's, had a serious stroke in his late 40s.

He's on disability. His wife has a good job but their quality of life would be really crappy if he didn't receive his disability. My ex-husband and his brother were able to finish college because of survivor benefits when his father died when my ex was still in his teens.

If Republicans had their way, SS would continue going fine for a while, the first or second revote to continue it would go smoothly. Then each one of the next ones would be harder and Dems would have to kiss a lot of Republican asses to get the bill passed (oh, so many little changes) and it would get harder and harder; it would be like the voting bills and the violence against women laws.

Reply to this post

Response to I_UndergroundPanther (Reply #11)

Fri Sep 23, 2022, 09:54 AM

65. I'm in the same boat as you.

I have severe cystic fibrosis and get SSDI and Medicare/Medicaid. If these programs are killed, I’m fucked.

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 12:32 PM

13. This should become viral...

To-fucking-day.

Destroy them with the truth.

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 12:33 PM

14. The screenshots come up as broken image links for me.

Reply to this post

Response to intheflow (Reply #14)

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 12:51 PM

16. Yeah nothing showing up for me either.

Kind of ironic that they have screenshots but we can't see the screenshots.

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 01:03 PM

17. Broken screenshots for me as well

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 01:10 PM

21. Same here and I was really wanting to see it!

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 01:31 PM

24. They're broken for me now, as well.

I'm not sure what happened.

Did you see see Dalton99a's post?

Reply to this post

Response to sl8 (Reply #24)

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 02:39 PM

35. I've seen it now!

Thanks for directing me there.

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 02:22 PM

32. So broken!

Everythings broken...Dylan

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 02:40 PM

36. Click on the words "Commitment to America" where the color is different

Those a links to the PDF flyer, and you download each flyer, open with your PDF viewer.

It's awkward I know. I'm not sure if this can be done on a phone, but certainly a desktop or laptop could handle it.

Reply to this post

Response to FakeNoose (Reply #36)

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 02:47 PM

39. I didn't want to go to the Repuke link with pdf, I wanted to see the screen shots

Pelosi posted of the content McCarthy took down. DUer dalton99a was kind enough to take her own screen captures and posted them upthread.

Reply to this post

Response to intheflow (Reply #39)

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 03:02 PM

40. No worries, it's from Nancy Pelosi's "Speaker" website

She grabbed the screens and posted them so the other Democratic leaders could see what McCarthy had and deleted. If you click on those links, you're getting them from Pelosi's webpage.

I will not post them myself, because we don't want to publicize rightwing talking points on DU.

Reply to this post

Response to FakeNoose (Reply #36)

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 05:01 PM

47. Yeah, my desktop worked. Phone...not so much.

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 12:49 PM

15. So glad to see Speaker outing her own deplorables

Just like Biden calls out magats.

These people are scary because they really believe their religious crap and that they should use the US democracy to indoctrinate all non-believers.

They'll start killing "witches" if they're not stopped.

These fools should move to the mountains and live their 10th century non-tech lives with candles and open fireplaces and leave us the hell alone.

Go ahead: surrender your tv, cell phone, all of it, and live like it's 1053. Have a good time.

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 01:08 PM

19. 💜 I just want to rip my hair from my skull

These people are monsters, and I'm sure that if their mothers could have aborted them, they would have. I'm convinced the elected Republican party is made up of men whose mothers didn't choose to love them.

And they raised monsters

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 01:10 PM

22. This is also in response to PAC ads that tell watchers to go to the House Republicans' site and read

this agenda for themselves.

These PAC ads have rolled out over the last week or so in Florida, and I'm guessing probably elsewhere.

I'd bet that Republicans are more afraid of voters' calls and complaints about their "agenda" than they are afraid of Pelosi's opinion posts, and that's why I think he's trying to hide what he should have the party cajones to stand up for.

Republicans are changing their minds, and their leadership dreads that.

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 01:36 PM

26. For a party that claims to be for small government;

there is a whole lot of governmentin' in that list!

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 01:52 PM

28. Even if McCarthy didn't want this material to get out...

...it's still all being said in Republican double-speak.

The average voter doesn't automatically translate this bullshit into the true sentiments and policies it represents, so this stuff isn't going to be as shocking as some here would hope for it to be.

Reply to this post

Response to Silent3 (Reply #28)

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 03:09 PM

41. That's quite a sound point. One would need 5th grade reading comprehension skills to get this stuff.

That pretty much leaves way too many asking their "smart" friends to interpret for them. That's how Newt got elected, you know. Handing out free interpretation of plain speech to citizens of Georgia can be quite profitable. Of course, these days it has become acceptable to call it snake-oil salesman style lying, which it always was. Apparently, Kevin is still a little behind the curve on this. Though, credit his memory, it has worked well in the past.

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 01:53 PM

29. that agenda

is terrifying. republicans need to be gone! jeezus

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 01:56 PM

31. OMG WTF

Is that? JFC we must vote them out.
Bookmarking

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 02:32 PM

33. K&R!

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 02:43 PM

37. OMG, this would kill people

ending Social Security; ending Medicare; making ALL abortions illegal, no exceptions for life of the mother, with jail time for women.

Take away women's right to vote??????? End of democracy.

This is a seriously scary agenda. It will kill off the middle class in America .

Reply to this post

Response to Farmer-Rick (Reply #37)

Fri Sep 23, 2022, 07:01 PM

67. It would literally kill the poor

And disabled in droves. Middle class might be made poor but they would not die.

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 02:46 PM

38. K & R

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 05:21 PM

49. Definitely read the link in case it's not all already known. This is real.

Almost all Americans plan for retirement that includes the Social Security retirement fund and Medicare post-retirement medical coverage they paid into during their working lives. Many have little to nothing else.

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 05:30 PM

50. THIS. MUST. BE. COMMUNICATED!

Why not a series of 15 second "Bullet points from the GOP plan" on TV?

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 06:17 PM

51. They are no better at hiding their own agenda than they are with National Security

I am waiting for a screenplay of the Keystone Congressmen

My loudest objection is over being forced to take these people seriously--or, rather, the danger they pose.

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 06:20 PM

52. this is so interesting. gonna book mark it

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 06:46 PM

54. Here it is (props to internet wayback machine)

Reply to this post

Response to Olestro (Reply #54)

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 07:52 PM

57. Thank you, will add to OP. nt

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 10:04 PM

60. Retweet, Pass It On

This is screaming to be retweeted, shared, emailed or whatever you do.

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 22, 2022, 11:24 PM

63. K&R.

Reply to this post

Fri Sep 23, 2022, 01:06 AM

64. Yet there are still Both Sides/My Vote Doesn't Count/That Won't Affect Me people.

I hope I don't get hit by a bus before the midterms, I need to know what happens. If there isn't massive turnout for Democrats...

Reply to this post

Fri Sep 23, 2022, 10:55 AM

66. McCarthy

Not the sharpest TOOL in the shed.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread