Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News Editorials & Other Articles General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search

Just_Vote_Dem

(3,000 posts)
Thu Nov 2, 2023, 06:29 AM Nov 2023

The sad truth about war is

For most, it is immensely devastating.

But for a few, it is incredibly profitable-including the inevitable rebuilding.

We must always do everything we can not to be manipulated into hate by those who live to destroy decency.

11 replies = new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies
The sad truth about war is (Original Post) Just_Vote_Dem Nov 2023 OP
Preach hueymahl Nov 2023 #1
So true, so basic, so well put. CommonHumanity Nov 2023 #2
That's Hamas' entire business model NT Happy Hoosier Nov 2023 #3
That is arguably our business model too hueymahl Nov 2023 #4
I get it, but it's a harsh world. Happy Hoosier Nov 2023 #5
Oh, absolutely hueymahl Nov 2023 #8
Yup. yagotme Nov 2023 #6
The sad truth about peace is: Tomconroy Nov 2023 #7
"The sad truth about war is" William769 Nov 2023 #9
Are you suggestion munitions companies are manipulating opinions on Israel/Gaza? brooklynite Nov 2023 #10
No Just_Vote_Dem Nov 2023 #11

hueymahl

(2,601 posts)
1. Preach
Thu Nov 2, 2023, 08:16 AM
Nov 2023

ALL of our modern wars have been expanded and encouraged by the companies making war weapons. Without exception. And they are some of the most active lobbyists and contributors to campaign coffers. Add in the employment and huge salaries for ex military and generals, and you have corruption down to the bone.

This is the number one crisis facing government and world safety today. And like you said, simple decency.

CommonHumanity

(248 posts)
2. So true, so basic, so well put.
Thu Nov 2, 2023, 08:40 AM
Nov 2023

So true, so basic, so well put. Since childhood I've been amazed and appalled that we don't get it.

hueymahl

(2,601 posts)
4. That is arguably our business model too
Thu Nov 2, 2023, 08:46 AM
Nov 2023

Which was the point of the OP. Yes, we do it for self defense, protect allies, etc. But we are the largest exporter of military arms in the world, by a long shot. We literally export death. Cold hard reality.

If we did not allow lobbying and the revolving door between the military, government and the arms producers, we would not be in this situation nearly as bad.

Happy Hoosier

(7,664 posts)
5. I get it, but it's a harsh world.
Thu Nov 2, 2023, 08:56 AM
Nov 2023

I'm not as cynical about it as some here. I understand the cynicism. But with people like Putin and Xi in the world, I am more a realpolitik guy, I guess. We should always embrace peace, but unfortunately, much of the world embraces war. We need to be ready for it.

hueymahl

(2,601 posts)
8. Oh, absolutely
Thu Nov 2, 2023, 09:53 AM
Nov 2023

We mostly need to end the defense industry's ability to lobby and influence those that pay them. Citizen's united is a big problem, but something that can be done with an executive order is barring former military above a certain rank from ever being paid by the defense industry for any reason.

yagotme

(3,508 posts)
6. Yup.
Thu Nov 2, 2023, 09:05 AM
Nov 2023

Few actually profit, even the ones that start it, as it usually goes a different way than they expect. Profiteers are gonna profiteer.

brooklynite

(96,641 posts)
10. Are you suggestion munitions companies are manipulating opinions on Israel/Gaza?
Thu Nov 2, 2023, 10:01 AM
Nov 2023

I’d say Hamas is doing a pretty good job on their own.

Just_Vote_Dem

(3,000 posts)
11. No
Thu Nov 2, 2023, 06:19 PM
Nov 2023

While Israel/Gaza is on my mind, this was a general observation how some people can be manipulated to do things against their own interests, sometimes because of someone else's thirst for profit.

Latest Discussions»General Discussion»The sad truth about war i...