Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News Editorials & Other Articles General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search

intrepidity

(7,623 posts)
Tue May 14, 2024, 02:37 AM May 14

Did Cohen really misunderstand the "I won't be on the market long"?

Cohen seemed to testify that his interpretation was about the election, which befuddled me.

When I heard the quote, it seemed that Donald was clearly dismissing Melania's potential concern by asserting that he'd have her replacement soon enough.

Am I missing something??

19 replies = new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies

Silent3

(15,909 posts)
1. I think Cohen took that comment as a sign that the election mattered more to Trump...
Tue May 14, 2024, 02:41 AM
May 14

...than his wife mattered to him, so that paying off Stormy Daniels would, indeed, be about the election and not about hiding the story from Melania.

Demobrat

(9,191 posts)
3. This is how I took it.
Tue May 14, 2024, 03:05 AM
May 14

This is not about Melania. Melania is as easily replaced as an old lamp. This is about making sure female voters don’t find out.

calimary

(82,659 posts)
18. Yep. Sad but true.
Tue May 14, 2024, 07:43 PM
May 14

I hope she leaves him. Before he leaves her.

Barron’s high school graduation is this weekend, I believe. He could start making his own decisions now. And since he doesn’t need Mom anymore, seems to me that’d be the smart time to leave. Let the divorce lawyers deal with it. And bill the donald.

wishstar

(5,322 posts)
4. According to the Guardian, Cohen was clear about lack of concern for Melania
Tue May 14, 2024, 04:00 AM
May 14

"Cohen said Trump wanted him to take care of the Daniels matter, but also told him to “push it out as long as you can, past the election, because if I win, I’ll be president, and if I lose, I won’t really care.”

Cohen said he asked whether that might cause a rift with his wife. “I said to him, how’s things going to go upstairs?” he said. “Don’t worry, he goes. He goes: how long do you think I’ll be on the market for? Not long.”

“He wasn’t thinking about Melania,” Cohen said. “This was all about the campaign.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/may/13/trump-hush-money-trial-michael-cohen-testimony

calimary

(82,659 posts)
5. Bastard!
Tue May 14, 2024, 04:30 AM
May 14

"...how long do you think I’ll be on the market for? Not long.”

I bet Melania's been waiting for their son to turn 18 (which he now has). Now he's old enough to go off to school and pursue his own life. That'll leave her free to find a good divorce lawyer.

HAB911

(9,128 posts)
8. at least until she can be in a position to extract
Tue May 14, 2024, 08:36 AM
May 14

the maximum amount of money from the situation. they are both 100% transactional in the relationship.

Rebl2

(14,057 posts)
14. I also
Tue May 14, 2024, 11:54 AM
May 14

think she has a whole lot of information on tfg, if she wanted to give up that information to hurt him.

NanaCat

(2,332 posts)
11. You haven't known enough gold diggers
Tue May 14, 2024, 11:02 AM
May 14

Especially ones who make the mistake of not leaving a rich Sugar Daddy when their market value is still high eno--er, when they're still young enough to get a new one.

I was a teenager when my Mum's MD colleagues hit their trophy wife mid-life crisis years, which means I saw a parade of gold-diggers march through our social life. The clever ones stuck around only long enough to enjoy the good life during the marriage, sock away a tidy nest egg where hubs couldn't see, and still get a sweet payout in the divorce settlement while she's young enough to win another sugar daddy. Next, please!

The career arc for gold-diggers is a short one. You have until early 30s to land the rich dude, or to leave one and find another. Every year after thirty puts you further into SOL territory.

TSF's gold-digger was too stupid to know that she needed to get out while the getting was good. She stays now only because she knows in a rudimentary way (the only way that dimbulb could understand anything), that her pre-nup may not be worth very much when it's time to collect (as of April, she's already lost child support), and because she'd have to settle for far less with a new man. An abundance of younger, more beautiful women with much less baggage are a dime a dozen for the type of man susceptible to a gold digger. Those guys do have standards, shallow as they are. She no longer meets them.

That's why the only First Gold Digger in US history has made the calculation that there's more butter for her bread by staying with him than leaving. At least for now. Her best hope now is that he'll die and leave her with enough not to suffer an ordinary life.

yardwork

(62,492 posts)
9. That sounds to me like Trump was saying he would quickly find a new wife.
Tue May 14, 2024, 08:38 AM
May 14

This was never about Melania.

fishwax

(29,247 posts)
10. Cohen interpreted the comment the same way that you did
Tue May 14, 2024, 08:45 AM
May 14

The comment meant that trump wasn't concerned about Melania's reaction to the Daniels story breaking.

Which means that the reason he was so concerned about the story getting out was a function of his election chances, not his marital stability.

So when Cohen says it was all about the election, the "it" is not the "market" comment. Rather he's referring to what the market comment indicated about the concern over the Daniels story.

NanaCat

(2,332 posts)
12. And this puts the lie to the many Democrats
Tue May 14, 2024, 11:05 AM
May 14

Who claim that TSF never really wanted to be POTUS. Going to such lengths to cover up a one-night-stand, simply to prevent hurting your chances at winning an election, is the act of a man who wants that office, and wants it badly.

intrepidity

(7,623 posts)
16. Cohen himself asserts that
Tue May 14, 2024, 12:45 PM
May 14

Although, I think Cohen likely means that the "run" was conceived as a publicity stunt, but that once Donald got a taste, it became intoxicating.

Latest Discussions»General Discussion»Did Cohen really misunder...