Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News Editorials & Other Articles General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search
28 replies = new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies
Why is so much money being used to bet on Trump? (Original Post) Doodley May 19 OP
because big money wants us to think that Trump is way ahead. They are in for a rude awakening in November when Biden Meadowoak May 19 #1
1) Biden won't win in a landslide... brooklynite May 19 #17
no one will win in a landslide... assuming you mean Reagan vs Mondale. WarGamer May 19 #18
"Big money" is such a vague term... Ruby Soho May 19 #23
Because polls have become meaningless. LakeArenal May 19 #2
This is actual cash. I wonder if they know they will lose it? jimfields33 May 19 #3
A money poll. Millionaire Republicans can easily sway the odds. LakeArenal May 19 #4
Definitely for sure. jimfields33 May 19 #5
A significant overlap of gamblers with Trumpers RandomNumbers May 19 #8
If they were meaningless NanaCat May 19 #12
For that reason alone... polls are meaningless. LakeArenal May 19 #24
This is the exact opposite of why... Ruby Soho May 19 #15
It's not good it seems we need a conviction of drumph Tribetime May 19 #6
I don't think age is the issue. I think it is because of the passivity in letting the Trump side define Biden Doodley May 19 #7
I think you hit the nail on the head Poiuyt May 19 #16
The two you mention would automatically stoke large "anti" voting factions. RandomNumbers May 19 #9
Newsome is not gay. I'm unsure where you got this jimfields33 May 19 #10
Errp ... you are right ... I will edit if I still can. RandomNumbers May 19 #11
No worries. I get entangled in that to from time to time. jimfields33 May 19 #22
We are running against what should be the easiest candidate ever to be Tribetime May 19 #20
I think most on the left have always underestimated Trump's ability to manipulate people, and RandomNumbers May 19 #21
Harris and Newsome polled more poorly against Trump than Biden did. shrike3 May 19 #25
I don't know the weighting they use, but "Betfair" is British muriel_volestrangler May 19 #13
Polls have shifted more toward Trump the last few weeks. Ruby Soho May 19 #14
It's scary. I pray Trump goes down in New York. If not, his victory lap could put him well ahead. Doodley May 19 #19
For the same reason they buy his stock and all that other shit. RandySF May 19 #26
Billionaires will do absolutely anything for more tax cuts dlk May 19 #27
Because gambling is an epidemic. Raven123 May 19 #28

Meadowoak

(5,860 posts)
1. because big money wants us to think that Trump is way ahead. They are in for a rude awakening in November when Biden
Sun May 19, 2024, 11:07 AM
May 19

wins in a landslide.

brooklynite

(96,747 posts)
17. 1) Biden won't win in a landslide...
Sun May 19, 2024, 02:59 PM
May 19

(that's what Biden's campaign manager says)

2) Why would anyone imagine that betting odds would have any impact on the election?

WarGamer

(13,458 posts)
18. no one will win in a landslide... assuming you mean Reagan vs Mondale.
Sun May 19, 2024, 03:00 PM
May 19

If you mean a Trump sized 2016 victory or an Obama sized 2012 victory... 304 electoral votes or 332, respectively... then maybe.

I personally think it comes down to 1-2 States.

Ruby Soho

(53 posts)
23. "Big money" is such a vague term...
Sun May 19, 2024, 05:19 PM
May 19

Who's Big Money?

The media? The pollsters? The talking heads?

If it's the media, I don't think they have ever reported Trump is up big.

If it's the polls, there are plenty of independent polls that are not big money-funded and completely independent of the media. Many are the same polls that, four years ago, had Biden beating Trump.

If you're talking about the talking heads, I don't think they're saying Trump is up big (outside the right). But he is up. Whether that means he wins in November remains to be seen but it's silly to pretend the race isn't extremely close right now.

Regardless, neither Trump or Biden will win in a landslide.

NanaCat

(2,332 posts)
12. If they were meaningless
Sun May 19, 2024, 01:51 PM
May 19

The oligarch traitors wouldn't invest so much money in stunts like this, or on the skewed polls through idiots like the NYT.

Ruby Soho

(53 posts)
15. This is the exact opposite of why...
Sun May 19, 2024, 02:27 PM
May 19

The shift in betting odds is likely tied to those who believe in the polls, as Biden was the favorite not too long ago before a slew of polls were released showing him losing.

So, these bettors clearly don't find polls meaningless. Or it would be the exact opposite: Biden would be leading in these election odds despite most polls showing him losing nationally and in key swing states.

Tribetime

(4,963 posts)
6. It's not good it seems we need a conviction of drumph
Sun May 19, 2024, 11:34 AM
May 19

And Biden to drub him in the debates. If not I don't like our chances I wish we would have run Harris or Newsome. Age is the elephant in the room.

Doodley

(9,521 posts)
7. I don't think age is the issue. I think it is because of the passivity in letting the Trump side define Biden
Sun May 19, 2024, 12:05 PM
May 19

in the public perception, just as Hillary Clinton was redined from well-respected politician with 65% approval to incompetent and crooked.

Poiuyt

(18,165 posts)
16. I think you hit the nail on the head
Sun May 19, 2024, 02:55 PM
May 19

Biden has been a great president, but he's got a public relations problem

RandomNumbers

(17,901 posts)
9. The two you mention would automatically stoke large "anti" voting factions.
Sun May 19, 2024, 12:12 PM
May 19

Last edited Sun May 19, 2024, 01:26 PM - Edit history (1)

Kamala - woman of color (TWO strikes)
Newsome - gay - from the "Left Coast" and seen as strong supporter of gay rights.

I hate to have to say it, but it appears that's just what America is these days.

RandomNumbers

(17,901 posts)
11. Errp ... you are right ... I will edit if I still can.
Sun May 19, 2024, 01:25 PM
May 19

I must've absorbed right-wing talking points somewhere

That said, I guess I was thinking of him as seen as a staunch ally of the gay rights movement. SO ... not personally gay ... but would be campaigned against similarly. Although I'm not sure he would deserve it any more than any normal-ish Democrat, as most Dems are strong on LGBTQ+ rights.

jimfields33

(17,284 posts)
22. No worries. I get entangled in that to from time to time.
Sun May 19, 2024, 04:27 PM
May 19

Right wingers are sneaky in their false news. It’s everywhere. Have a great week!

RandomNumbers

(17,901 posts)
21. I think most on the left have always underestimated Trump's ability to manipulate people, and
Sun May 19, 2024, 04:20 PM
May 19

the strength of organization behind him.

He is an awful, awful human being. But he is very skilled at marketing and at manipulating people - much like Hitler. Someone can be incredibly evil and still be skilled in certain ways. There was another thread I just saw, that someone proposed that Hitler had only a 4th grade vocabulary. He may have USED only a 4th grade vocabulary, because it was better for manipulating the masses - but by all reports he was extremely intelligent. There is a similar dynamic with Trump. Although I think there truly is a bit of dementia coming into play with Trump, he has practiced his schtick for so long that it's a little like auto pilot, for a while at least.

As for the strength of organization behind him - for whatever reasons, there are powerful people who believe that he can and will get them things they want (mostly more power).

Just because he is extremely awful and we THINK people should know better than to vote for him - won't make it so. Money channeled the right way can do an awful lot to spread disinformation and to push just the right buttons for the groups of people they need to influence.

muriel_volestrangler

(101,830 posts)
13. I don't know the weighting they use, but "Betfair" is British
Sun May 19, 2024, 02:21 PM
May 19

and I wouldn't take the judgement of British betters on US politics too seriously.

I mean, Michella Obama at 2.2% is stupid - she's said she'll never run, she has never run before, she has said she hates politics and campaigns. PredictIt, which at least is American, doesn't list her:
https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/7456/Who-will-win-the-2024-US-presidential-election
and has Trump 49 cents, Biden 47 - ie a lot closer than Betfair.

Betfair has Trump 10/11, Biden 13/8 (British way of showing odds - for Trump, bet 11, get it back plus 10 it he wins; For Biden, bet 8, get it plus 13 for a win. That means you could bet £11 on Trump, and £8 on Biden, and get back £21 if either win - over 10% profit.. This shows the British punters are fucking about ( don't think there's a 10% chance of someone else stepping in and winning). It's tempting to sign up and take advantage of them.

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election/winner

Ruby Soho

(53 posts)
14. Polls have shifted more toward Trump the last few weeks.
Sun May 19, 2024, 02:24 PM
May 19

Biden rebounded after the State of the Union but seems to have backslided in polling the last couple weeks. I think there was a big shift in the betting odds when those NYT/Siena swing state polls were released.

People can dismiss polls but it's clear those betting on the election outcome believe them.

RandySF

(63,080 posts)
26. For the same reason they buy his stock and all that other shit.
Sun May 19, 2024, 06:50 PM
May 19

To show devotion to their cult leader.

dlk

(11,883 posts)
27. Billionaires will do absolutely anything for more tax cuts
Sun May 19, 2024, 07:08 PM
May 19

They couldn’t care less about our democracy or the lives of everyday Americans.

Latest Discussions»General Discussion»Why is so much money bein...