Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News Editorials & Other Articles General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search

Doodley

(9,519 posts)
Tue May 21, 2024, 11:37 PM May 21

I wish the Joe Biden would do something like this to help win the election.

I would like to see a campaign to announce a policy pledge card. It would be the size of a credit card. One one side, it would list five things that Biden pledges he will do in very brief bullets. On the other side it would include five things he has achieved.

It isn't so much about the cards, but distilling pledges and achievements. I would bet you most people couldn't name five good things Joe Biden has done, or what he will do. This isn't the way to win an election. Biden's message is drowned out while Trump makes all the noise. The pledge card is essentially a publicity stunt to get the message through. It has been used by the Labour Party (without the achievements) in the UK since 1997. Here is an image for you to see. What are your thoughts?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/scottishpoliticalarchive/5181664403

7 replies = new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies
I wish the Joe Biden would do something like this to help win the election. (Original Post) Doodley May 21 OP
That's a good idea. Qutzupalotl May 22 #1
And how to check their registration! With the voter roll purges ms liberty May 22 #7
We could do this ourselves. murielm99 May 22 #2
How would you make policy pledges on behalf of the president? MichMan May 22 #3
Obtuse John Shaft May 22 #5
Coordinate with your local Democratic organization John Shaft May 22 #4
That's a great idea. If it was done in June ms liberty May 22 #6

ms liberty

(9,052 posts)
7. And how to check their registration! With the voter roll purges
Wed May 22, 2024, 07:47 AM
May 22

I feel that we really need an effort made to make sure OUR voters check their registrations in time to be able to fix or re-register. It seems like a potential loose end that we really need to tie up.

murielm99

(31,006 posts)
2. We could do this ourselves.
Wed May 22, 2024, 04:04 AM
May 22

We could work within our central committees or activist groups to make up cards to pass out to our membership. We send out postcards reminding people to vote. Why not this?

MichMan

(12,317 posts)
3. How would you make policy pledges on behalf of the president?
Wed May 22, 2024, 07:35 AM
May 22

Wouldn't those need to come directly from him?

John Shaft

(484 posts)
5. Obtuse
Wed May 22, 2024, 07:42 AM
May 22

The card is a political marketing tool like walk cards, fliers, or doorhangers.

It gets eyeballs to see a message in card form.

John Shaft

(484 posts)
4. Coordinate with your local Democratic organization
Wed May 22, 2024, 07:38 AM
May 22

pool some money, find a Union Printer, and PRESTO! your wishes come true!

ms liberty

(9,052 posts)
6. That's a great idea. If it was done in June
Wed May 22, 2024, 07:43 AM
May 22

It could be repeated with different "5"'s in say, August ir September and titled something like "Here's 5 More"

I really like your idea. Cards like that would be inexpensive so a LOT could be produced, and it would be easy for people to carry a stack to hand out anywhere.

Latest Discussions»General Discussion»I wish the Joe Biden woul...