Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News Editorials & Other Articles General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search

Nevilledog

(52,146 posts)
Sat May 25, 2024, 02:46 AM May 25

Jessica Valenti: How Conservatives are Rebranding Pro-Life

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/political-commentary/conservatives-rebranding-pro-life-abortion-1235018370/

No paywall link
https://archive.li/dqfEL

AMERICANS DON’T WANT abortion to be banned. In fact, they barely want it legislated at all: A 2024 poll found that 81 percent of voters don’t want abortion issues to be regulated by the government. Instead, they want the decision to be between a patient and their doctor.

That overwhelming support for legal abortion leaves Republicans with a major problem: How do you defend and push a policy that no one wants? In the nearly two years since Roe v. Wade was overturned, the GOP has faced an unprecedented backlash. They’re losing election after election — from the 2022 midterms to state Supreme Court races — and abortion rights win every time they are on the ballot. Republicans are even considering doing away with the term “pro-life” because Americans view it as too extreme. The horror stories regularly coming out of states with abortion bans certainly don’t help.

In response, anti-abortion lawmakers and groups have recently launched a new two-pronged attack. They’re changing the way they publicly talk about abortion, using specific terms and phrases to make Americans believe that they’re softening on the issue; at the same time, they’re systematically chipping away at democracy so that voters won’t have a say in the matter, just in case their talking points don’t work.

I’ve been tracking these tactics in my newsletter, “Abortion, Every Day,” since Roe was overturned, finding that the GOP’s deception runs deeper than most people realize.

*snip*
8 replies = new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies
Jessica Valenti: How Conservatives are Rebranding Pro-Life (Original Post) Nevilledog May 25 OP
K&R Solly Mack May 25 #1
Well, after all, they are the party of lies, deceptions and dirty tricks... KY_EnviroGuy May 25 #2
I used to call them anti abortion instead of pro life. wnylib May 25 #3
Exactly. TSExile May 25 #5
They talk about freedom but want to take away freedom for women. LiberalFighter May 25 #7
I call them Pro Death RandomNumbers May 25 #8
You can do a thought experiment to picture how people who... Girard442 May 25 #4
yup Skittles May 25 #6

KY_EnviroGuy

(14,543 posts)
2. Well, after all, they are the party of lies, deceptions and dirty tricks...
Sat May 25, 2024, 05:19 AM
May 25

ever since the days of Goldwater and Tricky Dick just within my recollection, and some experts say long before that.

wnylib

(22,992 posts)
3. I used to call them anti abortion instead of pro life.
Sat May 25, 2024, 05:36 AM
May 25

Now I just call their whole movement anti women.

TSExile

(3,223 posts)
5. Exactly.
Sat May 25, 2024, 08:39 AM
May 25

The Grand Old Patriarchy doesn't give a crap about life or "saving" babies. It's ALWAYS about power and control because they want women and girls to be property.

RandomNumbers

(17,901 posts)
8. I call them Pro Death
Sat May 25, 2024, 09:38 PM
May 25

because they don't care if the woman dies, as long as she carries that fetus inside her even if it kills her.

Girard442

(6,223 posts)
4. You can do a thought experiment to picture how people who...
Sat May 25, 2024, 07:22 AM
May 25

...were truly pro-life would act. Pretty clear today's forced-birthers are nothing like that.

Latest Discussions»General Discussion»Jessica Valenti: How Cons...