Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News Editorials & Other Articles General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search

In It to Win It

(8,644 posts)
Sat Jun 22, 2024, 11:13 AM Jun 22

There are no pro-abortion rights OBGYNs in Congress. These candidates are hoping to change that.

There are no pro-abortion rights OBGYNs in Congress. These candidates are hoping to change that.

As Congress grapples over abortion rights two years after the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, two physicians specializing in obstetrics and gynecology are hoping to bring their expertise and exam room experiences to Capitol Hill.

Dr. Kristin Lyerly and Dr. Kelly Morrison are running for Congress for the chance to become the only pro-abortion rights OBGYNs on Capitol Hill.

The erosion of abortion rights since the 2022 Supreme Court decision is part of what drove Lyerly to run for the House in Wisconsin, she said in an interview.

"I get to hear the stories directly from my patients and their families. And I think once you — unless you are there in the room, you don't truly understand the depth of how this affects people," she said.

Lyerly has been working as an OBGYN for over 15 years and has administered care in Wisconsin, where she is seeking a congressional seat in the state's Eighth District and in neighboring Minnesota. She's running unopposed in the state's August 13 Democratic primary and in November would face one of at least three Republican candidates, including Tony Wied, who is backed by former President Donald Trump.
1 replies = new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies
There are no pro-abortion rights OBGYNs in Congress. These candidates are hoping to change that. (Original Post) In It to Win It Jun 22 OP
Does that mean there are ANTI-rights OBs in Congress? viva la Jun 22 #1

viva la

(3,514 posts)
1. Does that mean there are ANTI-rights OBs in Congress?
Sat Jun 22, 2024, 11:19 AM
Jun 22

How could any OB/GYN be against abortion rights?

Yet, of course, there are GOP drs who are:

Currently, Rep. Michael Burgess, R-Texas, and Sen. Roger Marshall, R-Kansas, are the only OBGYNs in Congress and both are vehemently anti-abortion

I notice they refer the woman who is THEIR PATIENT as "the mom."

They don't see her as their priority, obviously, except as an incubator?

Latest Discussions»General Discussion»There are no pro-abortion...