HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Obama understands that so...

Tue Sep 17, 2013, 02:46 PM

Obama understands that some people use guns to protect their families

From 2012, his views on guns:
“I think it’s important for us to recognize that we’ve got a tradition of handgun ownership and gun ownership generally. And a lot of law-abiding citizens use it for hunting, for sportsmanship, and for protecting their families. We also have a violence on the streets that is the result of illegal handgun usage. And so I think there is nothing wrong with a community saying we are going to take those illegal handguns off the streets. And cracking down on the various loopholes that exist in terms of background checks for children, the mentally ill. We can have reasonable, thoughtful gun control measure that I think respect the Second Amendment and people’s traditions.”

http://2012.presidential-candidates.org/Obama/Gun-Control.php

3 replies, 919 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Obama understands that some people use guns to protect their families (Original post)
Stupefacto Sep 2013 OP
sharp_stick Sep 2013 #1
Warren Stupidity Sep 2013 #2
Humanist_Activist Sep 2013 #3

Response to Stupefacto (Original post)

Tue Sep 17, 2013, 03:25 PM

1. Do you have a larger point

or are you simply cherry picking a simple five word soundbyte that says absolutely nothing about his views on gun control?

Something tells me it's the latter.

That being said if I felt the need to have guns to protect my family I'd either reconsider the company I keep or be very unhappy with the neighborhood I lived in.

I've shot my entire life, I'm pretty damned good at it but you'll never find a gun "hiding" in my nightstand like the gutless wonders that populate the fantasy world of the NRA. Every weapon I ever owned was locked in a safe that was bolted to the concrete floor of my basement.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Sep 17, 2013, 04:34 PM

2. he glossed over the evidence that a gun in the home is more dangerous to your family

than no gun in your home. In terms of harm reduction, a gun in the home would be the opposite of harm reduction.

But it was the politically safe thing to say.

Nation of fucking uninformed idiots and everything.

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 17, 2013, 04:34 PM

3. From who, Viking raiders?

What is this, the old West?

If you are a responsible gun owner, particularly with children in the house, then your guns are locked up in safes and ammunition is stored elsewhere. That means if a home invasion takes place, then to defend yourself with your guns means the would be burglar will need to practice some patience while you retrieve your gun.

However, if you are an irresponsible gun owner, you have that gun locked and loaded in your nightstand, or under your pillow, where your 5 year old can find it, and use it, on themselves or others. Unless you don't have kids in that case, maybe the home invader gets it first, depends on where it is, or you get to use it in defense of home and family, maybe.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread