HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » VA: Extended shutdown cou...

Mon Sep 30, 2013, 11:08 PM

VA: Extended shutdown could stop disability pay

VA: Extended shutdown could stop disability pay
The Veterans Affairs Department warned Saturday that an extended government shutdown could result in a cutoff of veterans’ benefits checks by the end of October.

In a sharp change from what the VA was saying days earlier, officials said a prolonged shutdown would hurt the 3.4 million veterans receiving disability compensation, plus survivors and veterans expecting GI Bill living stipends.

“The administration strongly believes that a lapse in appropriations should not occur,” the VA said in a statement. “There is enough time for Congress to prevent a lapse in appropriations, and the administration is willing to work with Congress to enact a short-term continuing resolution to fund critical Government operations and allow Congress the time to complete the full year 2014 appropriations.”

“In the event of a prolonged shutdown, VA will continue to review and update its plan in conjunction with the applicable legal requirements and circumstances,” the statement says.

I will be sorely tempted to plant my boot in the ass of the next Republican Conservative TeaParty fuckwad that says "Thank you for your service."

1 replies, 1100 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply VA: Extended shutdown could stop disability pay (Original post)
Agnosticsherbet Sep 2013 OP
MADem Sep 2013 #1

Response to Agnosticsherbet (Original post)

Mon Sep 30, 2013, 11:15 PM

1. That could affect military retirement pay, too. And SBP. It's the debt ceiling.

Priorities would have to be assigned. Some people might get partial pay.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread