HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Three Old Dudes Desperate...

Mon Mar 19, 2012, 08:22 PM

Three Old Dudes Desperately Seeking (to Be) Ronald Reagan

Romney says “I don’t see how a young American can vote for a Democrat.” Why is Romney appealing for the support of the section of the population that votes the least? Trick question. He isn’t. Dear old Mittens wants to appear hip, trendy. He wants Republican voters to recognize the star appeal that will help him breeze through the general election---even though he is limping through his own party’s primary.

“Young” in politics mean “maverick”. It means “glamour.” It means “I’d offer that guy a beer.” It was what Reagan was able to project through his two term presidency even as he slipped into dementia. Because face it, there will always be something intrinsically “hip” about an actor president who can count of the support of Hollywood’s A List. “Cowboy” never really goes out of fashion.

Romney is trying his best to acquire a thin veneer of “style over substance.” He is not alone.

Standing before the statue of a young Ronald Reagan on horseback, Rick Santorum repeatedly drew parallels to the “insurgency” both represented in the Republican Party, and he called on Illinois voters to give him an upset victory in the primary on Tuesday.
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/19/santorum-sees-parallels-between-him-and-reagan/

Insurgency. Oh yeah, baby. The man who wants to return to the dark ages of back alley abortions and burning homosexuals at the stake is telling us that he is a rebel. Practically James Dean.

Is there room for three on the Ronald Reagan bandwagon? You bet!

“In the increasingly rough Republican campaign, no candidate has wrapped himself in the mantle of Ronald Reagan more often than Newt Gingrich,” writes Elliot Abrams in the National Review.
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/289159/gingrich-and-reagan-elliott-abrams

How is Newt like Ronnie Baby? Let me count the ways. Ummm… they both have a Y chromosome. Other than that, I can’t think of two politicians within the same party who are more unalike. Romney was able to court crossover voters with his “I’m just one of you” style. Newt, if nominated, will mobilize Democratic voters, too. They will come to the polls in record numbers to cast straight party Democratic tickets as their way of thumbing their nose at a guy who is only just barely tolerated by his own party and despised by everyone else.

Show of hands. Who here wants to kick back on the porch and drink a beer with Newt? With Rick? With Mittens?

Forget substance for a moment. We are talking style here. Who is the candidate with the Hollywood A List support? Who is the one who can say (with feeling) “I know where you’re coming from. I’ve been there, too”? Who is the one who would not look like an idiot riding a Harley-Davidson? Answer those questions and you will know who gets the all-important working class “I won’t vote for a guy I wouldn’t drink a beer with” vote this fall.

1 replies, 1007 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Three Old Dudes Desperately Seeking (to Be) Ronald Reagan (Original post)
McCamy Taylor Mar 2012 OP
madrchsod Mar 2012 #1

Response to McCamy Taylor (Original post)

Mon Mar 19, 2012, 09:29 PM

1. man on dog was a big hit here in dixon.....

i had better things to do.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread