HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Depressing How all the li...

Thu Mar 13, 2014, 01:41 PM

Depressing How all the lies have worked

The other day I was having a passing discussion with someone in the medical field. They were complaining about the high cost of their private family health insurance. I asked if they had looked into options offered by the ACA. She said no that it sounded like too much trouble, and it would probably cost more. When I asked how much her premium payments were, fifteen hundred dollars a month for a family, I told her the ACA would most likely be cheaper and provide more options. She said she would look into it, but I am not hopeful she will. I am unlikely to see this person again so I won't know if she made it before the deadline.

The lies seem to have won out in many segments of the population.

5 replies, 618 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Depressing How all the lies have worked (Original post)
kairos12 Mar 2014 OP
Puzzledtraveller Mar 2014 #1
kairos12 Mar 2014 #2
Puzzledtraveller Mar 2014 #4
JoePhilly Mar 2014 #3
Puzzledtraveller Mar 2014 #5

Response to kairos12 (Original post)

Thu Mar 13, 2014, 01:53 PM

1. I wish it were that simple

It is much more complicated than most people know in regard to eligibility, program options and application and enrollment processes. Family medicaid, expanded medicaid, advanced premium tax credit and qualified health plan applications is what I do. I have clients who gained options due to the ACA they never had, and clients who even after qualifying for a tax credit still have not enrolled because their budget is too tight even for a bronze plan.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Puzzledtraveller (Reply #1)

Thu Mar 13, 2014, 01:57 PM

2. It sounds like you are in the business.

So, do you think an average, healthy family of five could do better than $1500 a month if they switched to something under the ACA?

Reply to this post

Response to kairos12 (Reply #2)

Thu Mar 13, 2014, 02:07 PM

4. I would need more information.

The first question I would ask this family if they were my client is if the health insurance they have is employee sponsored and does the employer still offer health insurance.

Reply to this post

Response to kairos12 (Original post)

Thu Mar 13, 2014, 01:59 PM

3. Social darwinism will kill GOP supporters.

The GOP is talking its base into not getting health insurance, apparently unaware that doing so will kill off part of their base.

Reply to this post

Response to JoePhilly (Reply #3)

Thu Mar 13, 2014, 02:07 PM

5. You really believe that will be the outcome?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread