HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » We live in Western PA. ...

Mon Mar 17, 2014, 03:13 PM

We live in Western PA. My wife wants to get her CNA since she is basically doing the job of a

CNA. She has been doing it for years working in Home health Aide and even working with Mentally challenged individuals in group homes.

She tried the RED Cross, our local hospital and community colleges and none offer the classes. Red Cross offers them in Philadelphia area only.

Someone told her just pay to take the test that she probably knows everything already and what she doesn't know she can study up online for.

My wife thinks that would be accepted by those giving the test.

No the place she works at doesn't offer courses or a way to advance --if they could keep her at $9.00 and hour they are happy--she also isn't keen on the idea of going to a nursing home because they require working for them for 6 months which if she didn't have her current job she would do BUT she thinks her current job should be considered hands on training as any nursing home.

Any suggestions on what to do?

10 replies, 1094 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply We live in Western PA. My wife wants to get her CNA since she is basically doing the job of a (Original post)
diabeticman Mar 2014 OP
TwilightGardener Mar 2014 #1
diabeticman Mar 2014 #3
johnp3907 Mar 2014 #7
diabeticman Mar 2014 #8
librechik Mar 2014 #2
diabeticman Mar 2014 #4
Historic NY Mar 2014 #5
CherokeeDem Mar 2014 #6
bakpakr Mar 2014 #9
riderinthestorm Mar 2014 #10

Response to diabeticman (Original post)

Mon Mar 17, 2014, 03:17 PM

1. Community colleges usually offer these courses. CCAC does, according to Google.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to TwilightGardener (Reply #1)

Mon Mar 17, 2014, 03:40 PM

3. CCAC would be a little too far to travel with her work schedule. I will tell her to look into it.

Reply to this post

Response to diabeticman (Reply #3)

Mon Mar 17, 2014, 04:31 PM

7. Either of these closer?

Community College of Beaver County (www.ccbc.edu)
Butler Community College (www.bc3.edu)

I don't know anything about them, or if they offer what you're looking for.

Reply to this post

Response to johnp3907 (Reply #7)

Mon Mar 17, 2014, 04:36 PM

8. She called bc3 campus in our town they don't offer courses. I will have her look into Beaver county

thanks

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 17, 2014, 03:20 PM

2. Online course from state or local college or Try the state employment center

Reply to this post

Response to librechik (Reply #2)

Mon Mar 17, 2014, 03:42 PM

4. Thanks i will give her those suggestions.

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 17, 2014, 03:55 PM

5. here is a list of paid & free in PA.

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 17, 2014, 04:29 PM

6. Depending on your state requirements...

CNA classes can range from 2-4 wks (way too short) to 3 months. If you qualify financially, she should be able to get a very good loan or a grant from the state. I see someone posted a list of schools, I'd start there. But try to find a reputable school. After so many people were laid off a few years ago, a lot of schools popped up to take advantage of the unemployed.

She should look into taking the state test first, it the state allows it. She needs to talk to someone who recently took it to find out what was covered. It certainly would save her a lot of time and effort.

I was a nurse recruiter for nearly ten years, so I have had the pleasure of dealing with many CNAs. Bless her for what she does, especially working with the mentally challenged, that takes a great deal of patience, compassion, and dedication.

Good luck to her.

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 17, 2014, 05:07 PM

9. CNA

I am currently a Certified Nursing Assistant in PA. I live in the Harrisburg Area.

I don't think she will be able to challenge the test as the State requires a minimum numbers of hours of both classroom and hands on training prior to being able to test.

I would look for local organizations that offer education to lower income people. They usually offer the classes and State testing at substantially reduced or totally free cost. When I took the class it was at no cost to myself and the test was also paid for. I took mine at the Employment Skills Center in Carlisle. I have now been a CNA for 8+ years and absolutely love it. Thanks to Colon Cancer and Chemo I am unable to work at this time but my previous employer has assured me once I am medically released to return to work I have a job waiting on me.

Good luck on becoming certified.

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 17, 2014, 05:10 PM

10. There are online CNA certification courses. Lots of them with a google search. Good luck! nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread