HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Climate change and the pr...

Mon Apr 28, 2014, 08:21 AM

Climate change and the price of coffee

LONDON, 26 April – In recent days Arabica coffee beans – by far the most popular variety of coffee – have been fetching around US$2 a pound on the world market. That’s nearly double the price of a year ago.

Several factors seem to be driving the market upwards: in Central America, a significant production area, an outbreak of a disease called leaf rust – believed to be linked to changes in climate – has severely damaged the crop.

A prolonged period of drought and some unseasonably cold weather in Vietnam – now the world’s second biggest coffee-producer – has cut back crop forecasts for robusta beans, mainly used for instant coffee. A lack of rain has also hit coffee-producing areas in East Africa.

But it’s climate-related events in Brazil, the world’s biggest coffee grower – responsible for about 40% of global production – which seem to be causing the most froth amongst international market traders. .................(more)

The complete piece is at: http://www.climatenewsnetwork.net/2014/04/coffee-is-on-a-high/

3 replies, 632 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Climate change and the price of coffee (Original post)
marmar Apr 2014 OP
KittyWampus Apr 2014 #1
marmar Apr 2014 #2
KittyWampus Apr 2014 #3

Response to marmar (Original post)

Mon Apr 28, 2014, 08:27 AM

1. So many other things better to drink than coffee.

Roasted Barley Tea or Chicory, for instance.

Coffee greatly stresses the adrenals/kidneys and dehydrates.

Off on a tangent, I've found the whole "vaping and nicotine are evil" campaign to be sort of ironic when one considers how prevalent caffeine is.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to KittyWampus (Reply #1)

Mon Apr 28, 2014, 08:29 AM

2. Sorry, but I love my java.

Reply to this post

Response to marmar (Reply #2)

Mon Apr 28, 2014, 08:40 AM

3. I know, even the smell is wonderful.

Reply to this post