HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » I just subscribed to LINU...

Wed Jul 9, 2014, 10:11 AM

I just subscribed to LINUX Journal - Hear that NSA?

Last edited Wed Jul 9, 2014, 05:31 PM - Edit history (1)

Since the NSA thinks the LINUX Journal is a subversive site whose members need to be monitored I thought I'd go ahead and make sure they have another piece of straw in their haystack. Of course, being a subscriber to DU I was probably already on their fecal roster.

But hey, I'm actually quite a tech geek and use LINUX in my work and home so it actually makes sense for me to subscribe to LINUX Journal.

13 replies, 1552 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply I just subscribed to LINUX Journal - Hear that NSA? (Original post)
dballance Jul 2014 OP
The Traveler Jul 2014 #1
n2doc Jul 2014 #2
randome Jul 2014 #3
Skidmore Jul 2014 #4
dballance Jul 2014 #10
Skidmore Jul 2014 #13
dballance Jul 2014 #6
randome Jul 2014 #7
hunter Jul 2014 #8
randome Jul 2014 #9
dballance Jul 2014 #12
Bonx Jul 2014 #5
PowerToThePeople Jul 2014 #11

Response to dballance (Original post)

Wed Jul 9, 2014, 10:54 AM

1. I also read LINUX Journal

Clearly a subversive, aren't I?

Trav

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Jul 9, 2014, 10:56 AM

2. I'm sure you are already on their list

Watch what you say, Citizen! See something, Say Something! The Nation depends on eternal vigilance!

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 9, 2014, 10:58 AM

3. Do you know how you sound? Just like a coal roller.

[hr][font color="blue"][center]If you don't give yourself the same benefit of a doubt you'd give anyone else, you're cheating someone.[/center][/font][hr]

Reply to this post

Response to randome (Reply #3)

Wed Jul 9, 2014, 11:01 AM

4. I was searching for the right word...

and that is way better than anything I could come up with.

Reply to this post

Response to Skidmore (Reply #4)

Wed Jul 9, 2014, 05:39 PM

10. Seriously? How did you get from NSA over-reach to "Coal Roller?"

I am really looking to you to tell me how my OP would have in anyway been anti-coal.

I am pretty sure I only dissed the NSA.

Talk about off-topic and useless posts. Now I know another set of people who I suspect are here on DU to post items in favor of corporations.

Seriously. Did your automated systems pull my OP out of their ass and post some comments that are not at all in keeping with the topic of the thread?

Your posts are so far away from the topic which I posited in my OP that it is obvious you are using some sort of automated system and it's not very good.

Reply to this post

Response to dballance (Reply #10)

Wed Jul 9, 2014, 06:40 PM

13. I was responding to and agreeing with randome's analogy.

See his explanation below. That's all I have to say on the matter.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 9, 2014, 03:07 PM

6. Umm, NO, I'm not spewing carbon into the atmosphere in contradiction to accepted science.

I can't at all see how you can compare me to the "coal roller" faction. That is so ridiculous you would be laughed out of any court. I never mentioned coal and my possible opposition to our continued use of fossil fuels in my OP. Where exactly did you come about the idea you need to berate me about being against coal? Certainly not in the current OP to which you have replied.

You only post a title that attempts to mock me. "Do you know how you sound? Just like a coal roller"

You don't provide any argument as to why I might "sound" a certain way. Perhaps if you actually provided some sort of argument about how I might be a "coal roller" and you backed that argument up with facts one could take you seriously.

In the absence of anything other than your opinion, and not an actual, factual argument, I have to discard anything you may post. I certainly hope other thinking people will do the same.

You are as laughable as any other person who posts opinions without posting facts.

Don't dare try to come at me in a fight of wits and intelligence. You obviously come to the fight unarmed.

Reply to this post

Response to dballance (Reply #6)

Wed Jul 9, 2014, 03:14 PM

7. 'Opinions', by definition, are not 'facts'.

I'm sorry but if you really believe that the NSA is targeting millions of people who visit specific web sites, you are giving in to paranoia.

No one is out to get you. At least that I can tell.

The NSA is the only intelligence agency that is forbidden by law from monitoring Americans.
[hr][font color="blue"][center]"If you're bored then you're boring." -Harvey Danger[/center][/font][hr]

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 9, 2014, 03:57 PM

8. Please explain this analogy?

I'm not a fanboy of Microsoft, Apple, Adobe and most other proprietary software. Or of automobiles. Or for that matter, trucks that are used as personal displays of dumb-ass U.S.A. masculinity, not for ordinary daily dirty work.

Linux works for what I do, it makes upgrades easy, and I've got every computer I've ever had and many I've worked with just a click or two away on my desktop. All the files too. All readable and usable, stuff going back to the 'seventies. Accomplishing the same thing with Apple or Microsoft machines is often an expensive pain in the ass.

What kind of sedition is rolling coal? It just wastes diesel fuel, damages the environment, and annoys other people.

The guy minding his own business, walking down the sidewalk, using a linux PDA, is not the coal roller. The guy in the big truck blowing smoke is.

I'm also certain the NSA is not entirely clean. Some of it is, some of it isn't, just like any other law enforcement agency in the U.S.A.., from small town police departments on up.

We are not a nation without corruption.

Reply to this post

Response to hunter (Reply #8)

Wed Jul 9, 2014, 05:36 PM

9. It just comes across as a similar 'tilting at windmills' proclamation.

Like gun nuts holding a rifle in your face to prove they are strong. Like coal rollers 'proving' that smoke doesn't harm them. And like this to 'prove' something to some nebulous spy agency that is forbidden by law from spying on Americans.

There is not a thing wrong with using Linux or using Dbase 3 Plus. But it doesn't prove someone's strength in standing up to someone when that someone doesn't really give a shit about you.
[hr][font color="blue"][center]“If you're not committed to anything, you're just taking up space.”
Gregory Peck, Mirage (1965)
[/center][/font][hr]

Reply to this post

Response to hunter (Reply #8)

Wed Jul 9, 2014, 05:50 PM

12. Yep, I had some trouble understanding that post.

With regard to my OP I'm not at all sure how "coal-roller" got into the conversation.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 9, 2014, 11:20 AM

5. They're watching me too

I type 'nsa suxors!' every other sentence and I can feel them seething.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 9, 2014, 05:46 PM

11. uname -a

me@mypc:~$ uname -a
Linux mypc 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.60-1+deb7u1 x86_64 GNU/Linux
me@mypc:~$

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread