HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Complaint filed with IRS ...

Fri Apr 20, 2012, 03:36 PM

Complaint filed with IRS over homily by Peoria bishop -POTUS = Hitler/Stalin

A prominent advocate for the separation of church and state filed a formal complaint with the Internal Revenue Service Thursday, accusing the Roman Catholic Diocese of Peoria of violating federal law by intervening in a political campaign.

The Rev. Barry Lynn, executive director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, alleges that a fiery homily by Peoria Bishop Daniel Jenky last Sunday effectively urged Catholics to vote against Obama in the 2012 presidential election.

Jenky’s homily criticized policies proposed by the Obama administration that would require all employers, including religious groups, to provide free birth control coverage in their health care plans. The bishop included Obama's policies in a litany of government challenges the Catholic Church has overcome in previous centuries, including actions by Hitler and Stalin.

WGN Radio Now alerts by e-mail or text

“Hitler and Stalin, at their better moments, would just barely tolerate some churches remaining open, but would not tolerate any competition with the state in education, social services and health care,” Jenky said. “In clear violation of our First Amendment rights, Barack Obama — with his radical, pro-abortion and extreme secularist agenda — now seems intent on following a similar path.”

http://www.wgnradio.com/news/local/breaking/chi-group-blasts-peoria-bishops-comparison-of-obama-policies-to-hitler-stalin-20120418,0,4186903.story

4 replies, 1556 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Complaint filed with IRS over homily by Peoria bishop -POTUS = Hitler/Stalin (Original post)
otohara Apr 2012 OP
aquart Apr 2012 #1
freshwest Apr 2012 #2
otohara Apr 2012 #3
freshwest Apr 2012 #4

Response to otohara (Original post)

Fri Apr 20, 2012, 03:38 PM

1. Only one complaint.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to otohara (Original post)

Fri Apr 20, 2012, 05:31 PM

2. The IRS may consider this seriously. But I doubt it.

The church's priest demagoging will still fall under the First Amendment, which was designed to allow people to protest the Government. Even though this was very direct.

Reply to this post

Response to freshwest (Reply #2)

Fri Apr 20, 2012, 07:47 PM

3. Laws....meh

We all remember how much the Catholic church got away with for decades.
This is just another blip, the hypocrisy will go on and on...

Reply to this post

Response to otohara (Reply #3)

Fri Apr 20, 2012, 08:07 PM

4. Ah, my child, my child. Here's the reason why they can all do that:

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread