HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The FCC Did a Lot More Th...

Thu Feb 26, 2015, 08:43 PM

The FCC Did a Lot More Than Just Approve Net Neutrality Today

Win/win!

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2015/02/fcc-did-lot-more-just-approve-net-neutrality-today

The FCC Did a Lot More Than Just Approve Net Neutrality Today

—By Kevin Drum
| Thu Feb. 26, 2015 5:04 PM EST

The FCC voted today in favor of strong net neutrality rules, but this is something that's been expected for weeks—and something I've written about before at length. So instead of commenting on that yet again, I want to highlight something else that might be nearly as important:

The Federal Communications Commission will allow some cities and towns to set up and expand municipal Internet services, overruling state laws that had been put in place to block such efforts.

The commission granted petitions by Chattanooga, Tenn., and Wilson, N.C., to overturn laws that restricted the ability of communities in those states to offer broadband service. In all about 20 states have passed such laws. The vote was 3-2 and along party lines. The decisions don’t affect the other states, but they do set a precedent for consideration of similar petitions in the future.

This is a step in the direction of creating more competition for broadband internet, which I think is at least as important as net neutrality regulations. So hooray for this ruling, which is a step in the right direction. And while we're on the subject, it's also worth noting that the FCC's net neutrality decision could end up stimulating more broadband competition too. Why? Because net neutrality depends on regulating broadband providers under Title II of the Telecommunications Act, and this means that companies like Google, which are trying to set up their own high-speed networks, will be able to do it more cheaply. This is from a couple of months ago:

In a letter Tuesday to the FCC, Google’s director of communications law Austin Schlick highlighted a potential positive for the company if Title II kicks in. As a regulated telecom service, Google Fiber would get access to utility poles and other essential infrastructure owned by utilities. The FCC should make sure this happens because it would promote competition and spur more investment and deployment of broadband internet service, Schlick argued.

Cable and telecom companies, like Comcast and AT&T have long had the right to access utility poles and other important infrastructure, such as ducts, conduits and rights of way, he noted. Google Fiber, which competes against these companies, has not had this right and the service has had trouble getting access to some poles as it builds out its fiber-optic network to homes.

....Hooking up homes using poles is about a tenth of the price of digging trenches across streets and sidewalks, according to Reed Hundt, who was FCC chairman in the 1990s. “Pole access is fundamental and Google will never be able to make the case for Google Fiber without pole access,” he said. “If Title II gives Google pole access, then it might really rock the world with broadband access.”

If Google gains pole access, and cities and towns are free to set up their own high-speed networks, then local cable companies will finally start getting real competition in the high-speed internet market. Net neutrality is a big win for consumers, but real competition might be an even bigger win. This is far from a done deal, but things are starting to head in the right direction.

92 replies, 12222 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 92 replies Author Time Post
Reply The FCC Did a Lot More Than Just Approve Net Neutrality Today (Original post)
babylonsister Feb 2015 OP
rhett o rick Feb 2015 #1
babylonsister Feb 2015 #4
rhett o rick Feb 2015 #6
babylonsister Feb 2015 #10
rhett o rick Feb 2015 #12
babylonsister Feb 2015 #13
rhett o rick Feb 2015 #19
babylonsister Feb 2015 #20
uhnope Feb 2015 #63
calimary Feb 2015 #65
rhett o rick Feb 2015 #80
nikto Mar 2015 #87
rhett o rick Mar 2015 #88
nikto Mar 2015 #91
rhett o rick Mar 2015 #92
stonecutter357 Feb 2015 #75
nikto Mar 2015 #86
rhett o rick Mar 2015 #89
FSogol Feb 2015 #18
joshcryer Feb 2015 #26
FSogol Feb 2015 #36
joshcryer Feb 2015 #42
FSogol Feb 2015 #56
1StrongBlackMan Feb 2015 #66
merrily Feb 2015 #28
uhnope Feb 2015 #64
PoliticAverse Feb 2015 #72
merrily Mar 2015 #84
VanillaRhapsody Feb 2015 #27
joshcryer Feb 2015 #11
rhett o rick Feb 2015 #15
joshcryer Feb 2015 #23
merrily Feb 2015 #30
joshcryer Feb 2015 #32
merrily Feb 2015 #33
joshcryer Feb 2015 #35
merrily Feb 2015 #38
joshcryer Feb 2015 #40
merrily Feb 2015 #41
joshcryer Feb 2015 #43
rtw Feb 2015 #51
joshcryer Feb 2015 #52
rtw Feb 2015 #53
joshcryer Feb 2015 #54
rtw Feb 2015 #55
Cha Feb 2015 #2
PBass Feb 2015 #3
rhett o rick Feb 2015 #16
babylonsister Feb 2015 #24
rhett o rick Feb 2015 #44
Cali_Democrat Feb 2015 #74
stonecutter357 Feb 2015 #76
babylonsister Feb 2015 #21
BlueCaliDem Feb 2015 #77
TexasProgresive Feb 2015 #5
riqster Feb 2015 #7
Orsino Feb 2015 #59
TexasProgresive Feb 2015 #60
Orsino Feb 2015 #61
B Calm Feb 2015 #71
myrna minx Feb 2015 #8
Fumesucker Feb 2015 #9
JDPriestly Feb 2015 #14
rhett o rick Feb 2015 #17
F4lconF16 Feb 2015 #46
project_bluebook Feb 2015 #22
spanone Feb 2015 #25
zeemike Feb 2015 #29
Old and In the Way Feb 2015 #31
DescendantOfMany Feb 2015 #34
BlueCaliDem Feb 2015 #78
1StrongBlackMan Feb 2015 #67
tridim Feb 2015 #37
blue neen Feb 2015 #39
SunSeeker Feb 2015 #45
Hutzpa Feb 2015 #47
daleanime Feb 2015 #48
Thor_MN Feb 2015 #49
phylny Feb 2015 #50
JustAnotherGen Feb 2015 #57
1StrongBlackMan Feb 2015 #68
Roland99 Feb 2015 #58
1StrongBlackMan Feb 2015 #69
Roland99 Feb 2015 #82
jwirr Feb 2015 #62
1StrongBlackMan Feb 2015 #70
jwirr Feb 2015 #73
madokie Feb 2015 #79
B Calm Feb 2015 #81
Aerows Feb 2015 #83
Mosaic Mar 2015 #85
Warren DeMontague Mar 2015 #90

Response to babylonsister (Original post)

Thu Feb 26, 2015, 09:36 PM

1. This is very important to the freedom of the American people.

Thanks to the millions that spoke out and got Mr. Wheeler to change his mind. Speaking out can make a difference.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to rhett o rick (Reply #1)

Thu Feb 26, 2015, 09:47 PM

4. And the Prez, who helped.

BTW, I was going to post a rebuttal with links and all, but google 'Obama net neutrality'.

It's shocking to me how many people are angry about this. Right wing sites rule on google for some reason.

Reply to this post

Response to babylonsister (Reply #4)

Thu Feb 26, 2015, 09:58 PM

6. I am happy with the outcome and will search as you suggest, but

you are aware that Mr. Wheeler's first proposal was against net neutrality. This was the reaction. Millions of Americans responded.

Jessica Rosenworcel, one of the three Democrats on the Federal Communication Commission, has asked for a delay on the proposal by Chairman Tom Wheeler for new neutrality rules. Rosenworcel said the "torrent of public response" hostile to the idea of a pay-for-play fast lane on the internet warranted the delay.
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/05/08/1297841/-FCC-commissioner-asks-for-delay-net-neutrality-rules#

The day after around 150 Internet and tech companies asked FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler to remove discriminatory loopholes from his net neutrality proposal, another large coalition — comprised of everything from consumer advocates to educators to Reddit to… the Harry Potter Alliance — has written to both Wheeler and President Obama, calling for the FCC to drop the controversial plan to allow Internet “fast lanes.”
http://consumerist.com/2014/05/08/a-second-large-coalition-calls-on-white-house-fcc-to-not-screw-up-net-neutrality/

And if I remember correctly, many supports of the President said after Mr. Wheeler's first disasterous proposal, that the President didn't have influence over Mr. Wheeler.

I am happy with what I've seen of the outcome.

Reply to this post

Response to rhett o rick (Reply #6)

Thu Feb 26, 2015, 10:12 PM

10. But perhaps he did in fact have influence...

How Obama’s net neutrality comments undid weeks of FCC work
By Brian Fung November 14, 2014

When President Obama told his top telecom regulator Monday to apply "the strongest possible rules" on Internet service providers so that they couldn't speed up or slow down certain Web sites over others, he galvanized Democrats around a populist technology issue and set up a showdown with congressional Republicans.

But the White House's move also undermined weeks of work by the chairman of the Federal Communications Commission to develop an alternative policy, which he has said in private meetings could preserve a free and open Web while also addressing concerns by the Internet providers. Because of the unprecedented nature of the FCC's compromise proposal and its controversial nature -- critics fear it would not prevent Internet providers from slowing down content they don't like -- the agency held a flurry of meetings with a wide range of groups, including major tech companies, lobbyists, consumer advocates and the telecom industry to see if it could bring a broad coalition together around its plan, according to a half-dozen people familiar with the discussions.

In the days before the president's statement, the agency's efforts appeared to be working. Some tech companies, including at least one major firm, and several tech interest groups showed signs of warming to the outreach by FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler. They and Wheeler scheduled a series of critical meetings on Monday at the FCC to discuss their differences. Talk emerged of working out language in a letter that would clarify the sentiments of all involved and help build consensus for Wheeler's plan.

But all of that was thrown off-track as soon as Obama called for "bright-line rules" backed up by the FCC's most aggressive powers. Now a number of companies who were close to signing onto the "hybrid" plan proposed by Wheeler are in a holding pattern. Demand for a less-compromising stance has increased. And pressure is building on Wheeler and the FCC to decide what it should do.

"If the week had started not with the president's announcement, but with the tech community and lots of big names lining up in favor of the hybrid, we'd be having a very different conversation right now," said one tech industry official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the meetings were private.

more...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/11/14/how-obamas-net-neutrality-comments-undid-weeks-of-fcc-work/

Reply to this post

Response to babylonsister (Reply #10)

Thu Feb 26, 2015, 10:16 PM

12. I appreciate that and am willing to give the President his due. However, I don't understand why

he choose Wheeler in the first place. He choose an industry insider in lieu of a consumer advocate.

Reply to this post

Response to rhett o rick (Reply #12)

Thu Feb 26, 2015, 10:22 PM

13. Bite me! When I read in my best scholarly voice, "However",

I knew a gripe was to come. It worked out okay, so relax!

Reply to this post

Response to babylonsister (Reply #13)

Thu Feb 26, 2015, 10:33 PM

19. I will never "relax" and stop "griping" as long as millions of American children go to bed hungry.

This was a huge accomplishment and I am happy about it. I don't like those that try to give the credit to those that tried to screw us.

Reply to this post

Response to rhett o rick (Reply #19)

Thu Feb 26, 2015, 10:47 PM

20. lol!

Wrong thread, hon. This is the 'net neutrality' thread, not the 'starving children' thread.

Have one for me!

Reply to this post

Response to babylonsister (Reply #20)

Fri Feb 27, 2015, 02:23 PM

63. DUzy. Good job. Some people just don't want any credit to go to Obama for anything

Reply to this post

Response to uhnope (Reply #63)

Fri Feb 27, 2015, 04:02 PM

65. One would think we'd see most of that on the knuckle-dragger sites.

But, unfortunately, the relentless critics of our President are here, too.

I try not to generalize. However, uhnope, you put it rather succinctly:

"Some people just don't want any credit to go to Obama for anything."

Just imagine if it had been President romney in the White House while this was going on. What kind of result could we expect in THAT case, 'eh?

Guys, dear treasured cherished DU brothers and sisters - I humbly suggest we ALL try on this filter when discussing lots of different issues, especially as we draw nearer and nearer to primary and general election season.

"WHAT KIND OF RESULT COULD WE EXPECT IF THERE WAS A CON IN THERE, INSTEAD OF (Democratic fill-in-the-blank-here)?"

Reply to this post

Response to babylonsister (Reply #20)

Sat Feb 28, 2015, 11:09 AM

80. I commented that I appreciate this decision but you told me to "relax".

Well you can relax if you want. I see that there is a lot of work to be done.

Reply to this post

Response to rhett o rick (Reply #80)

Mon Mar 2, 2015, 11:32 PM

87. I'm with you, and the capacity to still maintain DOUBT

It ain't like the war's over or anything.

This net neutrality issue seems like a victory, at this point.
But we don't even know what's in the whole bill yet, don't we?
And the issue of WHY Obama put Wheeler in in the 1st place is a legitimate point to ponder.

I have read the conversation between you and others here, and I'm with...YOU!!!!!

It's just smart to never stop asking questions.

IMO,
Complacency is dangerous.

Reply to this post

Response to nikto (Reply #87)

Tue Mar 3, 2015, 01:19 AM

88. Thank you for the comment. I think that complacency is what got us into

this mess. I am a baby boomer and I lay the fault squarely with us. Our grandparents and parents had it rough but fought to make our lives better. But even though our parents warned us, we really didn't know adversity and lived the good life. The greedy capitalists didn't relax and by 1970 those that lived through the First Great Republicon Depression were old or dead and we, the pampered Baby Boomers, were complacent. I personally feel that I owe younger generations a fight to return the greatness of the Great Middle Class.

I understand that some here are so desperate they will celebrate the smallest of victories. Yet millions of American children live in poverty. Fix that and I might celebrate.

Reply to this post

Response to rhett o rick (Reply #88)

Tue Mar 3, 2015, 03:58 AM

91. I'm a boomer too (born in early 50s)

And I too, place MUCH blame on our generation and its smug complacency.

Plus, voting for REAGAN (which I never did--I smelled trouble from the get-go with RR, as some others did) was a real departure point for our generation----The place where many boomers left the rails of political common-sense, and never returned.

The election of Reagan is one of the biggest and bitterest points of criticism for our generation, IMO.
So much damage was done to America, while boomers counted their meagre tax cuts and cheered like idiots.

Reply to this post

Response to nikto (Reply #91)

Tue Mar 3, 2015, 09:01 AM

92. Yes I agree. nm

Reply to this post

Response to rhett o rick (Reply #19)

Sat Feb 28, 2015, 07:01 AM

75. pathetic

Reply to this post

Response to rhett o rick (Reply #12)

Mon Mar 2, 2015, 11:28 PM

86. Damn good point, IMO

Reply to this post

Response to nikto (Reply #86)

Tue Mar 3, 2015, 01:20 AM

89. Thanks

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 26, 2015, 10:31 PM

18. And yet here (see links) you blame the president for Wheeler's actions

Reply to this post

Response to FSogol (Reply #18)

Thu Feb 26, 2015, 11:00 PM

26. Those links say it all.

It's about bashing the president, nothing more.

Reply to this post

Response to joshcryer (Reply #26)

Fri Feb 27, 2015, 12:13 AM

36. Yup, I don't see how any other conclusion can be reached.

Reply to this post

Response to FSogol (Reply #36)

Fri Feb 27, 2015, 01:00 AM

42. Here's a blast from the past:

Reply to this post

Response to joshcryer (Reply #42)

Fri Feb 27, 2015, 09:37 AM

56. LOL 26 recs. Those Eeyores are bemoaning something else today.

Reply to this post

Response to FSogol (Reply #56)

Fri Feb 27, 2015, 05:00 PM

66. Damned DU Site Search thingy! ...

It makes it too difficult to pretend transparency!

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 26, 2015, 11:13 PM

28. If an Executive Branch agency does something most people like, Obama influenced it. If it does

something most people don't like, all Executive Branch agencies are utterly independent by law and the President has no influence over them.

Same with Congress, even one that is overwhelmingly Democratic.

Reply to this post

Response to merrily (Reply #28)

Fri Feb 27, 2015, 02:25 PM

64. Obama was a strong leader on this and influenced the national debate

but some people just don't want Obama to have any positive light on him at all

Reply to this post

Response to merrily (Reply #28)

Fri Feb 27, 2015, 06:40 PM

72. The three Democrats on the Commission were appointed by President Obama.

Reply to this post

Response to PoliticAverse (Reply #72)

Sun Mar 1, 2015, 08:12 AM

84. So was the Attorney General but that's beside the point I was making, which was about what gets

posted.

As far as Obama's appointments, don't get me started.

Reply to this post

Response to babylonsister (Reply #4)

Thu Feb 26, 2015, 11:00 PM

27. because Rightwingers are idiots....they just hate Liberals..so they hate anything Liberals like....

even if it means cutting off his nose despite his face....

Reply to this post

Response to rhett o rick (Reply #1)

Thu Feb 26, 2015, 10:13 PM

11. Thanks to Obama for nominating a reasonable man.

Thanks to Wheeler for being a reasonable man.

Reply to this post

Response to joshcryer (Reply #11)

Thu Feb 26, 2015, 10:26 PM

15. Wheeler's first proposal was AGAINST NET NEUTRALITY.

http://news.yahoo.com/john-oliver-turned-tide-net-neutrality-debate-170200850.html;_ylt=AwrTccaN0.9Uw78AcxAnnIlQ

Tom Wheeler, chairman of the Federal Communications Commission and a former top lobbyist for the cable and wireless industries, was mulling new rules to allow broadband companies to provide “fast lanes” for content providers who were willing to pay for it.

“Yes, the guy who used to run the cable industry’s lobbying arm is now running the agency tasked with regulating it,” said John Oliver, host of HBO's "Last Week Tonight with John Oliver" in June. “That is the equivalent of needing a babysitter and hiring a dingo.... ‘Make sure they’re in bed by 8, there’s 20 bucks on the table for kibbles, so please don’t eat my baby.’” He then urged his viewers to contact the FCC.

Thousands of Americans contacted Wheeler as Oliver recommended telling them that Wheeler's proposal was unacceptable. Wheeler and Obama yielded to the public pressure.

Reply to this post

Response to rhett o rick (Reply #15)

Thu Feb 26, 2015, 10:56 PM

23. There was always going to be a comment period.

You act as if he had already made up his mind. He was listening to both the corporations and people, the people won.

Reply to this post

Response to joshcryer (Reply #11)

Thu Feb 26, 2015, 11:15 PM

30. Wheeler was an industry insider. So are most lawyers in the FCC's legal department.

Not an ideal scenario for consumers.

Reply to this post

Response to merrily (Reply #30)

Thu Feb 26, 2015, 11:32 PM

32. To know an industry you have to be in it.

So it's damn hard to find someone pure. This is not to say not to try, of course. But choosing only academics may not always work out.

So you go with the guy you think can get it done.

Reply to this post

Response to joshcryer (Reply #32)

Thu Feb 26, 2015, 11:37 PM

33. Not true. Industry watchdogs know industries. In this case, there were, within the FCC itself.

people who were vigorous advocates of net neutrality. Moreover, the choice is not between industry lobbyists or academics. That's an example of a logical fallacy, false dilemma. Nor are academics necessarily people who don't know an industry and/or are ineffectual.

Reply to this post

Response to merrily (Reply #33)

Fri Feb 27, 2015, 12:08 AM

35. Name one capable of running it.

Just one.

And let's see how easy it is to tear their name down and drag them through the mud.

I didn't say the choice was only "between industry lobbyists or academics." Nor did I say that "academics necessarily people who don't know an industry and/or are ineffectual."

I said that you select the best person you feel suited for the job, in that case Wheeler appears to have done a great job.

Reply to this post

Response to joshcryer (Reply #35)

Fri Feb 27, 2015, 12:45 AM

38. Truthfully stating Wheeler was an industry insider is dragging him through the mud? Dramatic much?

And, of course, many people could be named who are not telecom industry lobbyists who are capable of heading the FCC. Don't be so silly.

Reply to this post

Response to merrily (Reply #38)

Fri Feb 27, 2015, 12:54 AM

40. It certainly is.

As it clearly had no negative effect on his actions today.

I consider substanceless posts like this a hit piece on a good man who did a good thing today. Then there's this bizarre hit piece where you fail to recognize how the public comment process works.

Wheeler said he was for net neutrality but you called it "Orwellian Double Speak."

Strange how easy it is to find these nasty screeds against good people in the government.

BTW, I love how lobbying has become such a scare quote to refer to anyone. Lobbying is a first amendment right. The problem isn't lobbying per se, the problem is allowing 1) lobbyists (or the companies they work for) to write legislation and 2) allowing congresspeople not to read the very legislation they vote on. Our congresspeople frankly need to be babysat to keep lobbyists from wowing them with BS.

Reply to this post

Response to joshcryer (Reply #40)

Fri Feb 27, 2015, 12:58 AM

41. Josh, I know from experience that you'll keep posting nonsense forever, then bizarrely

criticize me for replying to it. So, feel free to carry the rest of this conversation on without me.

Reply to this post

Response to merrily (Reply #41)

Fri Feb 27, 2015, 01:02 AM

43. The links speak for themselves.

You called Wheeler's stance on net neutrality "Orwellian double speak."

Reply to this post

Response to rtw (Reply #51)

Fri Feb 27, 2015, 08:42 AM

52. No they did not. Wheeler said so in his speech.

Edge providers are protected. Google did not get what it wants. You can plug into Google's network without issue. This is a disaster for Google.

Reply to this post

Response to joshcryer (Reply #52)

Fri Feb 27, 2015, 08:48 AM

53. We should believe him why?

He refused to testify in front of Congress. So 3 unelected bureaucrats have made these sweeping changes without explaining themselves in front of those we elected.

Reply to this post

Response to rtw (Reply #53)

Fri Feb 27, 2015, 08:50 AM

54. Hahaha, you win.

I'm fucking done.

Reply to this post

Response to joshcryer (Reply #54)

Fri Feb 27, 2015, 08:52 AM

55. Alrighty then. nt

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 26, 2015, 09:41 PM

2. "The Federal Communications Commission will allow some cities and towns to set up and expand

municipal Internet services, overruling state laws that had been put in place to block such efforts."

http://theobamadiary.com/2015/02/26/a-tweet-or-two-and-ggails-birthday/

Thanks babylonsistah..and Thank you, President Obama..

Net Neutrality: President Obama's Plan for a Free and Open Internet

More than any other invention of our time, the Internet has unlocked possibilities we could just barely imagine a generation ago. And here's a big reason we've seen such incredible growth and innovation: Most Internet providers have treated Internet traffic equally. That's a principle known as "net neutrality" — and it says that an entrepreneur's fledgling company should have the same chance to succeed as established corporations, and that access to a high school student's blog shouldn't be unfairly slowed down to make way for advertisers

http://www.whitehouse.gov/net-neutrality

See ya on the internet!

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 26, 2015, 09:43 PM

3. Yet ANOTHER way that Obama has SCREWED OVER liberals!

(Just trying to fit in at DU)

Reply to this post

Response to PBass (Reply #3)

Thu Feb 26, 2015, 10:26 PM

16. Liberals helped him see the way. nm

Reply to this post

Response to rhett o rick (Reply #16)

Thu Feb 26, 2015, 10:56 PM

24. I just heard 4-7M people weighed in (on Maddow) so

you are also right!

Reply to this post

Response to babylonsister (Reply #24)

Fri Feb 27, 2015, 01:40 AM

44. This was an extremely important issue that had me worried. I am happy on two accounts. One the

outcome of course, but also that that many Americans cared enough to be active.

I think there is a movement going on. It is currently disjointed and not reported on by the Corp-Media, but sooner or later it will be a force to be reckoned with.

Reply to this post

Response to rhett o rick (Reply #44)

Sat Feb 28, 2015, 04:24 AM

74. Some people upthread put up some of your own links about this topic.

Not sure if you saw them.

U should probably weigh in and defend your honor.

Reply to this post

Response to rhett o rick (Reply #44)

Sat Feb 28, 2015, 07:06 AM

76. RWNJ ^^^^^

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 26, 2015, 10:48 PM

21. Hahaha!

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 28, 2015, 10:08 AM

77. Thanks for nothing, Obama!

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 26, 2015, 09:53 PM

5. I doubt it will "rock the world" for rural people. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to TexasProgresive (Reply #5)

Thu Feb 26, 2015, 10:05 PM

7. Neither will it harm us.

Private companies have given us fuck-all thus far.

Reply to this post

Response to TexasProgresive (Reply #5)

Fri Feb 27, 2015, 10:42 AM

59. Rural people with utility poles are more likely to get broadband now.

I just don't know how much more likely.

Reply to this post

Response to Orsino (Reply #59)

Fri Feb 27, 2015, 12:27 PM

60. I have entered the ranks of the retired this morning

I worked in the telcom business for 37 years with some of that is outside plant engineering. The blunt truth is that the cost to extend fiber networks into rural areas whether aerial, direct buried or underground (in conduit) can never be recovered by user fees alone. The way rural people got landlines was a price subsidy plan mandated by the Federal and state governments that the most profitable subsidized the least profitable- So long distance subsidized local, business subsidized residential and all of the above subsidized rural. In addition REA brought phone lines to the farm.

The other thing is that the telecom companies were give a limited monopoly that was regulated to insure universal service. This means that service had to be extended to anyone who requested it. All this began to crumble with the deregulation of the industry. This is what they always wanted - to be unregulated and to do whatever they want.

Reply to this post

Response to TexasProgresive (Reply #60)

Fri Feb 27, 2015, 12:30 PM

61. I'm still in telecom, and fiber is getting cheaper.

So are other broadband connections. Knocking down political barriers will make a big difference to some consumers, and eventually to all.

Reply to this post

Response to Orsino (Reply #59)

Fri Feb 27, 2015, 05:31 PM

71. Iwould love to tell DISHNET addios!

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 26, 2015, 10:09 PM

8. K&R n/t

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 26, 2015, 10:11 PM

9. Thanks Obama

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 26, 2015, 10:25 PM

14. Great news!

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 26, 2015, 10:27 PM

17. Thanks Obama and the many, many Americans that took the time to convince the FCC to

support net neutrality.

Reply to this post

Response to rhett o rick (Reply #17)

Fri Feb 27, 2015, 02:37 AM

46. +1

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 26, 2015, 10:55 PM

22. The FCC pissed off Glenn Beck today

and they will have HELL to pay!

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 26, 2015, 10:57 PM

25. Yo!

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 26, 2015, 11:14 PM

29. It sounds like good news for a change.

But I will remain sceptical because the devil is in the details as we all know.
But public opinion stopped us from going into Syria and maybe it stopped this too...we shall see.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 26, 2015, 11:24 PM

31. What does Manny think?

This can't be good news, there has to be a downside to making ISPs transparent on their access amd giving local communities control on how they connect to the internet. Surely,
there is a downside to this. Can't wait to hear why this is bad news.

Reply to this post

Response to Old and In the Way (Reply #31)

Thu Feb 26, 2015, 11:40 PM

34. Not sure who Manny is, but anyone who would have a problem with it

is either a right-wing tool who still thinks the Internet is a series of tubes or they have a financial stake in Big Telecom.

Reply to this post

Response to DescendantOfMany (Reply #34)

Sat Feb 28, 2015, 10:10 AM

78. OR...

who can't give President Obama credit for anything positive even if their life depended on it.

Reply to this post

Response to Old and In the Way (Reply #31)

Fri Feb 27, 2015, 05:06 PM

67. Nope ...

This is DU Prognostication Gone Poof Response #2 ... "Yeah, but we MADE him do it!"

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 27, 2015, 12:19 AM

37. This is exactly what government is for, teabaggers. nt

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 27, 2015, 12:47 AM

39. Please let this be true.

I'm so sick of Comcast and their monopoly here, with the resulting exorbitant rates and outsourced, hideously bad customer "service".

Any alternative, any competition would be better than those clowns.

Thank you, Obama Administration.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 27, 2015, 01:55 AM

45. K & R

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 27, 2015, 02:39 AM

47. Blessed!

Great job all round.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 27, 2015, 07:17 AM

48. K&R....

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 27, 2015, 07:25 AM

49. Look for cable companies and phone companies to start arguing about pole position...

Having lowest position is the cheapest. If you have to climb over other lines, you are responsible for any damage done to the lines you had to climb over.

My Dad's county had the funding about 5 years ago to fiber the entire county (which is only 15.7% smaller than Delaware), but the cable and phone companies have delayed it by arguing pole position. Free internet access will kill cable and phone and they will fight to maintain their monopolies.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 27, 2015, 07:51 AM

50. This is so important!

I live in a rural area with satellite Internet, and my husband can't do his job from home (he's home based) because satellite isn't compatible with VPNs.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 27, 2015, 09:42 AM

57. It was expected in January

You won't find it in the news - massive layoffs at one of the major telecoms and they are finally dumping their west coast landline (broadband falls under that) business. Last day for a lot of folks is today.

We are losing 900 people in our HQ building today. It's truly like - a black Friday around here - lots of empty cubes.

Reply to this post

Response to JustAnotherGen (Reply #57)

Fri Feb 27, 2015, 05:12 PM

68. Yeah ...

that's the other side of just about any issue ... lot's of people losing their jobs.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 27, 2015, 10:16 AM

58. right-wingnut reply:

So, the FCC fixed a broken internet that wasn't broken and is now adding more regulation to what was already a free and open internet.

I swear...I've seen that reply, almost exactly to the word, from multiple right-wing opponents of Net Neutrality.

Reply to this post

Response to 1StrongBlackMan (Reply #69)

Sat Feb 28, 2015, 10:23 PM

82. Morans. Also, these people do mention the Netflix v Comcast issue but....

they claim the free market straightened it out w/o a need for government involvement.

Yeah...Netflix paying a ransom is now a free market strategy

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 27, 2015, 12:37 PM

62. Totally agree. Out here on the rez internet service is terrible. The tribe has been talking about

becoming a service provider but could not at this time. I am hoping they go through with their plans now. Not everyone has a computer but enough of us do that that we will join and from many of the white families I have talked to out here so will they. We are tired of slow internet just because we live in the country.

Reply to this post

Response to jwirr (Reply #62)

Fri Feb 27, 2015, 05:19 PM

70. What prevented the Nation from becoming a Provider before? ...

Reply to this post

Response to 1StrongBlackMan (Reply #70)

Fri Feb 27, 2015, 11:43 PM

73. I am not sure. I do get what you are saying - sovereignty. I don't think they ever thought of it

that way. I'll have to ask. I know! I think in the past not that many homes had computers but that is changing rapidly with the children. Which to me is good. Unfortunately gaming is the big draw for them. Too many children are sitting too long in front of the computer - like me.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 28, 2015, 10:24 AM

79. The internet is the only thing

standing between fascism and us

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 28, 2015, 06:51 PM

81. K&R

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 28, 2015, 10:27 PM

83. I'm critical when President Obama does something wrong

but I am just as thankful when he and his administration do something good.

This was a good thing, Mr. President. Thank you!

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 1, 2015, 11:54 PM

85. As a Christian

Who fought for net neutrality and put all my heart into our fundamental right to a free and open internet, I don't appreciate the devil horns from the OP. Sorry, that goes against my beliefs and efforts for us all.

Reply to this post

Response to Mosaic (Reply #85)

Tue Mar 3, 2015, 01:30 AM

90. You're joking, right?

Please tell me you're joking.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread