HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Sousveillance: Ubiquitous...

Thu Feb 26, 2015, 09:09 PM

Sousveillance: Ubiquitous privately owned video recording throughout society

I posted this in a thread the other day and some DUers said they appreciated the information so I thought perhaps I should share it more widely.

Surveillance benefits the powerful and organized interests in a society, sousveillance somewhat changes the equation, equalizing in a way but also with its own problems.

Sousveillance is here already and watching the news stories being posted on DU and other places it's obviously starting to change society for the better in some ways and for the worse in other ways. It's not going to go away and it's going to get a lot more prevalent.

It's a good word I think that encompasses an entire concept in three syllables, two of which are already familiar together.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sousveillance

Sousveillance (/suːˈveɪləns/ soo-VAY-ləns) is the recording of an activity by a participant in the activity typically by way of small wearable or portable personal technologies.[12] The term "sousveillance", coined by Steve Mann,[13] stems from the contrasting French words sur, meaning "above", and sous, meaning "below", i.e. "surveillance" denotes the "eye-in-the-sky" watching from above, whereas "sousveillance" denotes bringing the camera or other means of observation down to human level, either physically (mounting cameras on people rather than on buildings), or hierarchically (ordinary people doing the watching, rather than higher authorities or architectures doing the watching)

0 replies, 674 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Reply to this thread