HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » GOP Lawmakers Explain Why...

Sun Mar 8, 2015, 10:35 PM

GOP Lawmakers Explain Why They Don’t Support Restoring Voting Rights Act

More: http://thinkprogress.org/election/2015/03/08/3631184/selma-gop-lawmakers-explain-dont-support-john-lewis-bill-restore-voting-rights-act/

[IMG][/IMG]
SELMA, ALABAMA — Dozens of members of Congress, and many more Republicans than ever before, came to Selma this week to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the infamous attack on voting rights protesters known as Bloody Sunday.

Some lawmakers told ThinkProgress the event highlighted the urgency of passing a currently languishing bill that would restore the full powers of the Voting Rights Act of 1965. Others showed little interest in doing so.

On his way to the commemoration ceremony, Sen. Rob Portman (R-OH) said it’s been “powerful” to hear stories from Rep. John Lewis (D-GA), who helped lead the Selma march 50 years ago and was severely beaten by police. But when ThinkProgress asked if he supports Lewis’ voting rights bill, he replied, “I haven’t looked at it. Is there a Senate version?”

A Senate version was introduced several weeks ago, and currently has zero Republican sponsors.

3 replies, 954 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply GOP Lawmakers Explain Why They Don’t Support Restoring Voting Rights Act (Original post)
Jamaal510 Mar 2015 OP
still_one Mar 2015 #1
blkmusclmachine Mar 2015 #2
Jamaal510 Mar 2015 #3

Response to Jamaal510 (Original post)

Sun Mar 8, 2015, 10:39 PM

1. no surprise from me, especially in regard to AP

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Jamaal510 (Original post)

Sun Mar 8, 2015, 10:39 PM

2. "It would help the blah people vote us out of power."