HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Does following present-da...

Thu Mar 12, 2015, 12:49 PM

Does following present-day politics make your life worse? Your opinions appreciated:

Having observed my (apparently) foul mood recently, and after listening to me explain my annoyance with "emailgate", the neocons' letter to Irananian leaders, the media's non-stop negativity about the Obama presidency, etc., my wife made an interesting observation that I'd like my fellow DU'ers opinions on.

That is, that I (and I suppose by default anyone) who closely follows political goings-ons today am naturally an angrier, more depressed person because of it. That while it's certainly important (and even civilly responsible) to be an informed and active citizen, that we are all actively choosing to make our lives worse by letting politics play such a central role.

I've been thinking about it over the last 24 hours, and believe there's something to what she said. I don't know that it will change anything I do (I'm a political junkie and a long-time DU lurker, although only recently decided to actually create a login), but her comments have made me more aware of 1) just how much political news/discussion is either purposely negative or just naturally depressing and 2) how my body and mind naturally react to what I read/see.

By no means am I arguing that USA citizens are better off being mindless drones focused on American Idol and sports scores, but I am also questioning (personally) the wisdom of constantly engaging in (or even just reading) such depressing discussion.

Just a cursory glance at the DU Greatest Page at any given time shows me that most highly-rated threads are:

-about how bad a person or group of people are because of their beliefs, choices, or actions
-about how bad a person or group of people are because they haven't done what we expected them to
-mocking a specific person or group of people for their beliefs, choices, or actions

While all of these discussions have merit in terms of education, "venting," etc., they're all, generally, incredibly negative and just make me feel worse.

Thoughts? Anyone else ever feel this way, or question why they keep logging/tuning in?

12 replies, 777 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply Does following present-day politics make your life worse? Your opinions appreciated: (Original post)
MadDAsHell Mar 2015 OP
A-Schwarzenegger Mar 2015 #1
leftofcool Mar 2015 #2
GusBob Mar 2015 #3
Manifestor_of_Light Mar 2015 #4
spanone Mar 2015 #5
MadDAsHell Mar 2015 #7
JaneyVee Mar 2015 #6
Texasgal Mar 2015 #8
Throd Mar 2015 #9
Lurks Often Mar 2015 #10
madville Mar 2015 #11
MadDAsHell Mar 2015 #12

Response to MadDAsHell (Original post)

Thu Mar 12, 2015, 12:51 PM

1. Listen to yourself.

I mean it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Mar 12, 2015, 12:53 PM

2. Not a chance in hell I would let anything said on DU

or anywhere else on the internet make me feel bad. I feel bad when my dogs gives me that sad look for a peanut butter sandwich and I feel bad when I miss my grand daughter. Politics.................fuck no!

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 12, 2015, 12:58 PM

3. I used that to feel way sometimes

With age it has mellowed. Maybe with wisdom and or maturity. Try not to take things personal against yourself or others, except when an issue personally involves you or your life....then fight the good fight from higher ground....take the long term view to win in the end not at every step along the way....avoid absolutes and understand there are two sides to every story and things are not always black and white....lastly sometimes a still tongue is better than a shrill tongue

That's just me, still get torqued off once awhile, for that there's whisky. Just a shot or 2

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 12, 2015, 01:02 PM

4. I don't take it seriously.

My dad watched TV and politics. We were yellow dog Democrats. He would laugh at the stupidity of politicians and their tendency to hoof in mouth disease. We would watch Wall Street Week on Friday night with Louis Rukeyser, and some "expert" in the stock market would come on, and Dad would say, "He doesn't know any more than our dog does." He was right!!!

I keep up with it but don't let it affect my mental state. A nice person in ASAH, MagickMuffin, gave me my new handle and I keep it in mind. It's a good reminder that I am supposed to manifest light. And I'm stunned that a nice person in ASAH gave me that new handle and picked up on that vibe through the internet and my writings.

I don't do ad hominem attacks. I criticize the idea, not the person. I don't let the internet get me down because there is always somebody who will pick a fight with you and misinterpret your words.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 12, 2015, 01:05 PM

5. if we don't pay attention, future-day politics will make your life worse

Reply to this post

Response to spanone (Reply #5)

Thu Mar 12, 2015, 01:07 PM

7. There's the rub...nt

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 12, 2015, 01:06 PM

6. It takes a delicate balancing act sometimes to prevent losing ones mind.

Remind yourself to stay sane. Obama caused conservatives to lose their minds. Stay focused on reality.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 12, 2015, 01:12 PM

8. If you let DU negatively affect you

I wouldn't come here anymore.

I used to let it bother me but now I choose to control my experience. When it gets too tedious I log off for a while, walk my dogs and smell the roses! Life is too short!

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 12, 2015, 01:13 PM

9. Sometimes I wish I didn't give a shit. Life would be easier.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 12, 2015, 01:47 PM

10. Nope, learned not to stress about things I have no control over

It's unwise to take ANY discussion board that deals with anything even remotely contentious too seriously, it tends to make things worse not better.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 12, 2015, 01:54 PM

11. It's entertainment for me

Kind of like watching a soap opera, I don't take it seriously.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 12, 2015, 09:29 PM

12. Thank you all for your thoughtful responses! nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread