HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » My wife's question: What ...

Fri Mar 27, 2015, 09:43 PM

My wife's question: What happens to businesses who have headquarters in Indiana and try

to follow Indiana law (Discrimination bill that pass).

A couple weeks ago my wife worked for 2 days ( it was a temp job) for a company based in California and the company followed California law.

3 replies, 1009 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply My wife's question: What happens to businesses who have headquarters in Indiana and try (Original post)
diabeticman Mar 2015 OP
mythology Mar 2015 #1
diabeticman Mar 2015 #2
LiberalFighter Mar 2015 #3

Response to diabeticman (Original post)

Fri Mar 27, 2015, 10:13 PM

1. I doubt many interstate businesses would try to use this law to refuse gay customers in other states

The law says that they are protected if they do, but my guess is that companies won't want the backlash that would come with it. Some small businesses will try it, but those will likely be just within Indiana.

There's just not enough upside in terms of bigoted purchasing power, especially given how rapidly public opinion has changed on things like same sex marriage.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to mythology (Reply #1)

Fri Mar 27, 2015, 10:39 PM

2. That is what she thought but doesn't this law open the door to others getting such treatment.

Reply to this post

Response to diabeticman (Original post)

Fri Mar 27, 2015, 11:17 PM

3. This isn't a law that has to be followed.

But it is a law that individuals and businesses can use to justify discrimination.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread