HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Proof the Republican Part...

Tue Apr 7, 2015, 11:36 PM

Proof the Republican Party was once great!

https://www.pinterest.com/ckcoleman4/the-republican-party-then/

7 replies, 1836 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Proof the Republican Party was once great! (Original post)
Dpm12 Apr 2015 OP
NRaleighLiberal Apr 2015 #1
Dpm12 Apr 2015 #2
Joe Turner Apr 2015 #3
Dpm12 Apr 2015 #5
Joe Turner Apr 2015 #7
LeftishBrit Apr 2015 #4
Jamaal510 Apr 2015 #6

Response to Dpm12 (Original post)

Tue Apr 7, 2015, 11:50 PM

1. Ronnie Raygun should not be considered part of a better Repub party. He was horrendous

and a root cause of much of what we see now

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to NRaleighLiberal (Reply #1)

Wed Apr 8, 2015, 12:22 AM

2. I agree N/T

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 8, 2015, 12:56 AM

3. The GOP was never great

They had a few good presidents but the party has always been a captive of wall street, corporations and the idle rich. New Ideas and Change are an anathema to its very existence.

Reply to this post

Response to Joe Turner (Reply #3)

Sat Apr 11, 2015, 01:32 AM

5. Who would you say were their good GOP prezzes?

My picks: Lincoln, Teddy and Ike

Reply to this post

Response to Dpm12 (Reply #5)

Sat Apr 11, 2015, 11:07 AM

7. Yep those would be my picks too

can think of anyone else.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 8, 2015, 04:37 AM

4. Interesting. I would not say that the Republican party was ever great, but both parties were far

more ideologically mixed in the past. The Dems were for a long while a strange coalition of progressives and neo-Confederates. The Republicans included mainstream conservatives, progressives indistinguishable from good Democrats, and the likes of Joe McCarthy.

Until the Eighties, it was even possible though very rare to have electoral contests at the state level, where the Republican was to the left of the Democrat. Joe Lieberman got into the Senate by defeating a Republican to his left.

There are some parallels in the UK. There was a time, the so-called 'postwar consensus', where the Tory leadership (though never all Tory MPs) tended to agree with moderate Labourites on the basics of society. Tories were always more sympathetic to the upper classes and big business; Labour to the working classes and the unions; but both parties agreed on the importance of a full-employment state, the importance of public services, and the need for a social safety net. Thatcher here, like Reagan in America, put an end to this. And this enabled Blair to move Labour to the Right. Now in England, the economic policy consensus is in many ways to the right of Conservatives of the Macmillan era. There is perhaps still some genuinely left-wing, anti-austerity sentiment among leaders in Scotland and Wales.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 11, 2015, 02:08 AM

6. Not that

this is a bad thread, but it's frustrating every time I see something like that link, and I get reminded of how far away the GOP strayed from what they used to be, and how this country doesn't have 2 sane major parties anymore. If they didn't move so far to the right and didn't let the billionaires/religious nuts hijack them, this entire country would've been in much better shape both economically and socially.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread